New Redcat Ascent 18

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I just picked up a ascent18 from my LHS today. Looks like it should be pretty capable out the box from the reviews I’ve seen. Hopefully I can run it some after I go over things 🤷🏼‍♂️
IMG_1695.jpeg

Going over the ascent 18…I added a little blue grease to diffs there was not much to begin with. Next off came the portal covers and it’s looking a little dry 🤔 added a little there as well
IMG_1696.jpeg
IMG_1697.jpeg
definitely a good idea to give it a look over.

Made a few changes. I moved the shocks, added 2 wheel weights to the front deck, cut the body and changed out the wheels and tires. Super impressed. I did buy the metal transmission gears. Just in case. Toasted those right away on the T-hunter. Added some grease to the portals while I had it apart. That's all you really have to do to make it great. Maybe the over drive/under drive gears? (sold out)

The upgrades are expensive from Redcat. Rumor has it, Injora is going to jump into the ring. I'll wait.

20240318_173945.jpg

Wasn't thrilled with the body. The front fender flare looks decent. I'll leave them for now. The rear, not so much. Cut it off. And cut below the door. Supposedly the original tires are 59mm. These are 62mm. They match up almost identical. I wouldn't go any bigger. Some Youtubers are going smaller to cut the wheel speed.

20240318_174020.jpg

Also trimmed the front bumper. Everything seems to clear now. Might do a few more slight mods to it but, for now, I'm just going to run it. This thing is a beast!
20240318_174042.jpg

This guy has a lot of great ideas. And I just happen to have a set of stock trx4m links. Hmmm......

Found another free mod today. Give it a shot. Basically take apart the sliders. (You'll need to remove the battery tray.) There's 4 screws holding it to the frame. Lose the middle two. Move the outer two up along with the skid plate. These are the long screws that go through the links. It wasn't fun doing it but, I think worth it. Now everything is flush with the bottom of the frame. Gives you a little more clearance and, in theory, lowers the COG a bit. Then reassemble everything. If done right it should look like this.

20240324_143219.jpg

Redcat was thinking ahead. There are two holes in the slider, frame and skid plate. You can move it however you want. 2FMRC talked about tilting it. Making it a ramp. But, the motor interfered with the steering servo. This doesn't. It moves the motor straight up. About even with that front plate. Learned about it here.

Took mine down to the LHS tonight. Several employees wanted to see it. Couple times they weren't there. Tonight they were. The minute the one spotted me, he was like, gimme...gimme...gimme. Lol.

Another employee has been working on a portable foam crawler course. You can butt them together or have a bridge between the two. It was set up with the bridge tonight. He immediately had to try it. There's a difficult section and it crawled right up. (I should have taken a picture). He said only highly modded crawlers have made it up. Mine did it without breaking a sweat. I let customers give it a try as well. One had 150.00 in upgrades for his scx24 in his hands. Put them back. Pretty sure he went home to order one. Ooops. Sorry LHS. I spent 70.00, that should make up for it right? Lol.

I've seen one of these in person, and I have no problem redirecting these to anyone shopping some Bangood MNL 123 thing. For really not much more $$$, the Redcat has better axles, bearings, oil filled shocks, softer tires, is made with much materials (nylon vs abs), and Redcat is known to play nice with LHS's.

Last edited:
Back