Virtual reality camera inside RC car?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iowa crawler

Hardcore RCTalk User
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
  4. Flying
Ok I was watching the lottery billboard go to a billion dollars so I started thinking of ways to spend the money I don’t even buy a ticket for.

So build a big building and a 1/10 scale model of the Indy 500 track. Then get a bunch of people that can drive. And build 1/10 scale cars with VR camera and headsets so people could race and everything they see looks real.

Well since I did not buy a ticket I don’t have a billion dollars. I have about 200-300 bucks. Can you buy the drone cameras and VR headset separately? Do you think putting cameras inside a rock crawler or an oval racer would work? I don’t see it for the off road cars or even road cars because you can’t turn your head or anticipate the next turn.

But would it even work?

I've been toying with fpv for a few of my cars. You might be able to rig a gearbox and servo or servo with y adapter. When you turn it turns. The gearbox is to speed it up or slow it down if needed.

Yes, it would definitely work!

But buying a decent VR headset will set you back $400 or so. Sure there are cheaper ones, but unless you get a Fat Sharks, Aomway, or SkyZone headset, you will be left wanting.

As for a camera in the car, the only way, or at least the current best way to get the real driving experience is mounting the camera on a gimble and having head tilt ability in the headset. That way when you turn your head, the camera follows your head movement. Having a static camera in an FPV setup just doesn't feel real. This head tilt feature will obviously set you back even more on a nice headset.

All in, if you want as true a driving experience that you can currently get, you could be upwards of $800-$1200.

But if someone were to create a track and have a few headsets and cars for people to use, I could imagine that would be very popular, even with non-RC enthusiasts.

Oh, and a 1/10 scale Indy track would be roughly 465 feet long and about 200 feet wide. That is the size of a football stadium 😉

People don't realize how big the Indy 500 track is til they actually walk around it.

Last edited:
Oh, and a 1/10 scale Indy track would be roughly 465 feet long and about 200 feet wide. That is the size of a football stadium 😉

An Indy 500 track is 2.5 miles around, which would definitely be a long walk, but in 1/10th scale that's a quarter mile, your standard athletic track, maybe you could even get a local Track and Field club to host. RC FPV Indy 500 doesn't sound that fun though, I'm thinking more F1 style courses.

Yes, it would definitely work!

But buying a decent VR headset will set you back $400 or so. Sure there are cheaper ones, but unless you get a Fat Sharks, Aomway, or SkyZone headset, you will be left wanting.

As for a camera in the car, the only way, or at least the current best way to get the real driving experience is mounting the camera on a gimble and having head tilt ability in the headset. That way when you turn your head, the camera follows your head movement. Having a static camera in an FPV setup just doesn't feel real. This head tilt feature will obviously set you back even more on a nice headset.

All in, if you want as true a driving experience that you can currently get, you could be upwards of $800-$1200.

But if someone were to create a track and have a few headsets and cars for people to use, I could imagine that would be very popular, even with non-RC enthusiasts.

People don't realize how big the Indy 500 track is til they actually walk around it.
Holly crap I had no idea it would be that big . Reality is a bitch.

Another thing I thought of is the camera footage could be recorded edited and made into weekly u tube videos. With some fake tv style drama and voice over it could get a million followers.

Holly crap I had no idea it would be that big . Reality is a bitch.

Another thing I thought of is the camera footage could be recorded edited and made into weekly u tube videos. With some fake tv style drama and voice over it could get a million followers.
Yeah, it would be pretty cool. DJI has a goggle system you can install in just about anything, but it is pretty pricey. But I am pretty sure is has a video out, same with the others I mentioned. Or you can buy an fpv monitor which basically just grabs the singnal from the fpv teansmitter in the vehicle and plsys it on an lcd screen. The monitors sometimes have video out as well, or built-in recording to SD cards, etc.

Back