Vintage Ferrari RC - CHECK IT OUT -

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr T-Maxx

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
So I'm helping a buddy with some remodeling work. We're chattin and I mention my RC's. He goes to his basement digs around and viola'. He comes up with this nitro car. It's hard to call it brand new, to the best of his knowledge he purchased this in the mid to late eighties for one of his kids. I guess it would be better described as never used.

So now, what do I do with it?

Is there a market for vintage RC's?
Should i build it for the fun of it?

Anyway I thought this might be interesting to the old time RC guys in here.

Any comments on this model, suggestions as to what to do with it, etc, would be appreciated.

4872Mvc-792s-med.jpg

4872Mvc-791s-med.jpg

4872Mvc-798s-med.jpg

4872Mvc-797s-med.jpg

I can't imagine driving with the two sticks on the remote. It's funny, RC's have come a long way...but looking at this 20 year old beast...Has it really come that far...basic design is not a whole lot different.

I had a charger by panda.... wait I still have that.

Lol

That engine is tiny

that look realy cool i say see if it is worth owt .If not buil it and see how well it runs

I would totally build that! That's awesome you got something so old and completely unused... hell, if was in the market I'd buy it

how much do you want for it?

The engine and muffler are from an airplane. I guess they hadn't even gotten into car setups yet.
It's old and useless. I'll give you $5 and take it off your hands.

J/K......Don't put it together until you've done some research on it. It might be a collectable now or in the near future.
I just checked out a link posted on this site a few days ago about the vintage Tamaya cars. A few months ago I sold ALL my Tamayas and parts for $40 and now I found out there's a market for it.
Oddly enough, according to that site, what's very desirable are the paddle tires that came stock on the rear wheels. I took them off and put on street tires.
Yesterday I just found 3 unused paddle tires on rims. Now for sale. Make me an offer, Tamiya owners.

CorradoPsi said:
how much do you want for it?

Damn you!
That was my question.

Do some research. I have found vintage RCs to be priced across the board. Some are cheap and some are expensive. Get as much info as you can and start doing google searches.

I am interested if you want to sell it.
I'm much more friendly than Corrado if you have to choose. :p:

cool its old i say build it old stuff rocks!

Panda Car

I bought two (2) of those cars in the mid eighties. Panda offered a stadium truck and an on-road car (monte Carlo). I got the cars. They were selling for $99.00 each. They were 90% completed and needed only a radio. That was a good price even for way back then. The engine is a .10 and runs pretty well for its size. It came with hard rubber treaded tires. I replaced them with foamies which really helped the handling. The car has anodized aluminum shocks! But there isn't a ball bearing anywhere, just oilite bushings. After running it for a while, I decided to convert it to a diesel with a Davis head. It ran a little faster and I would get twice as much run time than with glow fuel. I changed it back to glow because everything that the fuel touches smelled like kerosene! I painted the car like Dale Earnhart's black #3. I still have both cars and plenty of spare car and engine parts!

Last edited:
Krusty,

Post some pics! That's a pretty cool rig. It's weird to see on on-road rc that is only 2 wheel drive! How things have definitly changed.

FastEddy said:
I'm much more friendly than Corrado if you have to choose. :p:

be carefull of this one Mr. Tmaxx. he tried comming on to me in another thread. you wouldnt want him TOO grateful.

again, how much?

CorradoPsi said:
be carefull of this one Mr. Tmaxx. he tried comming on to me in another thread.

Your the one that was talking dirty to me.
It seems as if you know just what a guy wants to hear.

Now that I completely derailed this thread.......
Back to the regularly scheduled programing.

Hmmmmm, I just noticed that on the second to last pic, the manual has "Thunder Tiger Model Co." written on it.

see if you can find a part number somewhere or a kit number... I found the same results as Eddy......nothing

I used every name, word, and description I could see in the pics plus a few more and came up with the big Easter Egg. I even dug 5-6 paged deep in the search.

I'm sure theres something out there, just need to dig more.

Thanks for all the input guys. I apologize I didn't post much detail. I have had this gem for a month now and still haven't looked at it real close.

Diver, You're right about Thunder Tiger. It has three different companies on the manual, Panda, Thunder Tiger and I beleive the engine is a Magnum? (not sure I'll look closer at this this evening and give more detail)

Eddy, Corrado; I will more than likely sell this baby. First I want to make sure it's not a serious collectors item. You guys will have first shot and I’m in no way wanting to get well off this deal.

Krusty, You mentioned the hard rubber tires. My first thought when I got this baby is that the tires would crumble (dry-rot) when I squeezed them. I was very suprised at how plyable they still are.

Here is another photo I had on my PC at work. Doesn't provide much more info for your googleing Eddy, but maybe it will. I'll get as much info on this unit as I can and let you internet masters go to work.

4872Mvc-795s-med.jpg

Thanks again for the input.

Mr T

eddy may have to google this thing. but i can remember it from way back in the day. it was a kinda cheap car available RTR. i certainly remember the panda name. ill have to dig through any old RCCA's i may have at my parents house and see if i can find any ad's for it. it would be neat to have since i was never allowed to as a kid, my parents didnt want to deal with a gas car.

Mr. T, can you send me a pm with how much you want for it?

Back