Vintage 80's Nikko Mercedes RC car

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luichi24h

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi guys.
I'm an owner of an 80's vintage RC battery driver car. It's a Mercedes 280CE and runs with 4 C-type batteries for the drive and 4 AA batteries for the rx electronics.
In specs it says it reaches almost 35km/h, but in my case with fresh charged batts (C type - 5000mA) i calculated about 15km/h (reaching around 5.5V). Also with new alcaline (around 6.4V total) it is far from those 35km/h.
Anyone knows how to achieve this performance?
Also how can I know the max Voltage that could be applied to the drive without burning it? It has an internal resistance of around 2 ohms, and power consumption in free load (car in air) is around 0.8A.

If someone has the technical sheet of this type of cars that comes in the box (I haven't it, i got the car from my father) could you please link me a picture of it?

Thanks to all.

Luis

This is a toy grade . it will never reach the selling points.be happy it still moves.

Agreed. It is more a collector item at this point. Got any pics?

I would put it up on the shelf and enjoy the looks of it because as mentioned it is a toy grade and wont last.
Also, there is a pretty good chance, you won't parts for it.

he could put a whole new radio esc and motor along with servo battery and pinion..

True. But when it breaks it's toast. I would keep it as original as I could if it were me.

If its designed to run on 4 alkaline batts then I wouldnt push it much over about 7.5V. Theres going to be some tolerance built in but since its vintage I wouldnt push its limits much.

The only other way to get the speed up is be either increasing pinion gear size or decreasing spur gear size but I'm guessing that you wont find replacement gears for it let alone "hop-ups". The other issue you face is if you hit something with it going 35km/h you'll most likely break something that you wont be able to fix or replace. I'm with the others, make it a shelf queen :)

Back