Used nitro tips...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reddog

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I was once again asked to help out with getting a used nitro truck going that someone had bought on a sale.
Here are the basic things I tell people and just what I do.
First off clean everything, and by this I mean tear it down and wash it like it was new. Simple green works well for this. Once clean inspect everything. Look for cracked or broken plastic, missing or damaged teeth on gears, twisted driveshafts. Test the electronics. Turn on the radio and get someone to watch it as you walk away, see what the range is. Once everything has been cleaned inspected and worn, damaged or missing parts repaired or replaced reassemble. Now on to the engine. Clean it. Inspect it. Now tear it down and clean and inspect every part of it. If all is in good order reassemble it and seal it up good. Install the engine with NEW fuel lines. Once all of that is done and the truck is all back together put in a new glow plug and fresh fuel go ahead and try to start it up.
From here you move on to tuning and minor adjustments.
So do you all thin I am directing folks right? Shaun

I was once again asked to help out with getting a used nitro truck going that someone had bought on a sale.
Here are the basic things I tell people and just what I do.
First off clean everything, and by this I mean tear it down and wash it like it was new. Simple green works well for this. Once clean inspect everything. Look for cracked or broken plastic, missing or damaged teeth on gears, twisted driveshafts. Test the electronics. Turn on the radio and get someone to watch it as you walk away, see what the range is. Once everything has been cleaned inspected and worn, damaged or missing parts repaired or replaced reassemble. Now on to the engine. Clean it. Inspect it. Now tear it down and clean and inspect every part of it. If all is in good order reassemble it and seal it up good. Install the engine with NEW fuel lines. Once all of that is done and the truck is all back together put in a new glow plug and fresh fuel go ahead and try to start it up.
From here you move on to tuning and minor adjustments.
So do you all thin I am directing folks right? Shaun
Maybe mention the Gear mesh? Oh, and shock oils and diff oils- sometimes they're pretty bad. Tires- check they're secured well. Air filter, fuel tank (for holes) Antenna....If you want you can adjust camber caster and toe and all that....

Yep that all can be included. Get enough input then we can build a checklist chart that can be referenced when someone needs help with a used nitro. I try to hit the main points but still miss some little details.
What inspired me to make this thread was a guy I work with bought a T Maxx that is a mess and wanted me to help him get it running again.

Thread lock coumpound,
bearing checking,
testing for weak, life expired or under powered servo's,
Failsafe fitting/checking/setting,
crystal checking (if AM),
Tx and Rx binding on 2.4ghz,
engine compression check,
Exhaust seals
wheel hexes and pins,
Driveshaft Pins,
Clutch check
Gearbox Check
Diff Checks
Shock checks and rebuilding
Setting servo linkages correctly

how to check shock arms, hinge pins and mounts for wear.

How to tune the engine properly
How to check for air leaks

Preparing for the first run:

Checking and setting carb gap
Ensuring Tx and Rx batteries are fullycharged
Why the Tx is switched on before the Rx
Pre Run servo operation check
Pre Run Servo linkage check
Checking glow plug is good
Priming the engine with fuel

Last edited:
If we just get more and more peoples lists, we can combine it all in the end- nobody can remember everything :)

Cool. Now we have it going. Lets see if we can get a good comprehensive list together.

Also one thing that is important to starting a nitro the first time after buying used is, check the throttle opening in the carb!

That's covered by "how to tune the engine properly".

Once we have a good list in a good order, I'll set it as a sticky where it can be used as a helpful reference.
Whoever gets the best list together, in order of importance, will get to spend 2 weeks in the Riviera.

That's covered by "how to tune the engine properly".
if the throttle isn't open enough you can't start the engine therefore you can't tune it. If it's open to much you have a runaway. I get what you're saying with the how to tune engine properly, I just think that should be something to look at first.

Once we have a good list in a good order, I'll set it as a sticky where it can be used as a helpful reference.
Whoever gets the best list together, in order of importance, will get to spend 2 weeks in the Riviera.
I think I have a winning checklist for a newbie who buys a used nitro rig!
*list new rig up for sale
*once sold buy a new or used electric rig
*enjoy the hobby with more play time and less hassle

Were will I'll be staying and when do leave!

Were will I'll be staying and when do leave!
Anywhere you want as long as you pay all the expenses. You can leave now, if you'd like. :p

So far, ThunderTiger, in post #4, is first in the running for that 2 week stay for 2, YES, it's for TWO, in the Riviera.
Anyone have anything to add to the check list? Make it easy. Copy and paste it into your post then edit in anything else they should do.