Upgrading brushless motor

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyleag89

RC Newbie
Reaction score
So I am extremely overwhelmed and confused when it comes to brushless motors and escs. I have an XLF f17 1/14 scale with 144001 wltoys parts mixed in. It has a 2847 3000kv motor in it stock. I think the esc is a 35a but I'm not sure. I want to upgrade the motor and the ESC/receiver combo for more speed and to use a dumbo rc radio. I would like to be able to run a 3s battery as well like it can now but thats not nessessary. It is pretty slow on 2s now but then on the verge of uncontrollable on 3s. I found a 2838 4500kv surpass hobby motor with a 35a esc on Amazon. Would this set up work for me?
Link to current xlf motor

In order to tackle that question I need to know...Which F17 in the pictures below do you have?

index.jpg
08fd0437-f892-434c-85a1-cb006322a22c.jpg

I don't run the large tires if thats what your asking. It came with both but ot has too much torque with tires larger than 80mm diameter and just constantly flips upside down. Id have to pull it apart to confirm but i think the pinion gear is a 14t stock.

IDK what combo you're looking at but Id probably get something more like THIS. That being said Id also buy some smaller pinions on hand in case the motor starts running to hot. Then swap out the pinion to something smaller until you reach a size that doesn't overheat the motor. You might get lucky though and not have to switch pinions. Id run that combo on 2S tho. Do you have an IR temp gun?

I was looking at 2838 motors and escs from surpass hobby. May go with a surpass motor and hobbywing esc for piece of mind. Would going with a 3600-3800kv motor be more advisable? I realized today that my car actually is only a 25a esc currently but runs 3s no problem. Most of my batteries are 2s anyway so I don't mind only running 2s if its faster. The car is geared for torque and has a very slow top speed around 20mph. I do have a ir temp gun. I was basing the motor and esc off of what lc racing uses and figured that would be ok.

I was looking at 2838 motors and escs from surpass hobby. May go with a surpass motor and hobbywing esc for piece of mind. Would going with a 3600-3800kv motor be more advisable? I realized today that my car actually is only a 25a esc currently but runs 3s no problem. Most of my batteries are 2s anyway so I don't mind only running 2s if its faster. The car is geared for torque and has a very slow top speed around 20mph. I do have a ir temp gun. I was basing the motor and esc off of what lc racing uses and figured that would be ok.
You can try the 2838 can size but given that the factory can size is longer I would go with something closer to 2847

I can get a 2845 but I haven't been able to find any 2847s other than a couple expensive ones. Is there a big difference between sizes that close? I was considering a 3650 but don't know enough to get involved in the gearing or which kv to go with for a 3650.

I can get a 2845 but I haven't been able to find any 2847s other than a couple expensive ones. Is there a big difference between sizes that close? I was considering a 3650 but don't know enough to get involved in the gearing or which kv to go with for a 3650.
A 3650 is a 1/10 scale motor and is a lot bigger in diameter. More than liekly that would not fit in your kit.

A 2845 is only 2mm shorter than a 2847. a 2838 is 9mm shorter. 2mm isnt that much different but 9mm is a pretty big difference. I know that doesn't sound like much but look at it this way. 2845 is only 4% shorter than a 2847 motor but a 2838 is about 20% shorter. Thats a whole lot less motor trying to produce the same power as the 2847. This means that the 2838 is going to have to work a lot harder to produce the same results. Now if you compound that by also going with a higher kV and now youve made the problem even worse. All that extra grunt work the smaller, higher kV motor is going to have to do is going to result in the motor getting hotter. The only way to combat that is by decreasing pinion size or increasing spur size. Now gearing can do a lot for you in terms of helping reduce motor heat or making the car go faster (which will increase the heat) but gearing can only do so much.

Now please dont take this the wrong way cuz I'm not trying to talk trash but that kit that you have isnt what I consider a true hobby grade car. Meaning that you probably can't find much in the way of aftermarket parts (like bigger spur gears) and even trying to buy pinions for it is likely going to be a bit difficult because most of what we call "Chinesium kits" dont really give any specs like the gear pitch of the pinion gear. Now its entirely up to you but instead of buying new electronics for this kit Id consider saving up some money and buying something that is more hobby grade. Just my .02

I hope this helps. :)

Thank you greywolf74 that has been the most helpful answer for me so far. The way you explained the motor sizes makes absolute sense to me now. I know its just a cheapo chinese car and I plan to upgrade soon when my budget allows. From the little I found online this buggy is geared very low from the factory so it can run the large tires it comes with. I know its never even got slightly warm even after a 3s battery run hard. I guess I wont open this can of worms and leave well enough alone. Thanks

Thank you greywolf74 that has been the most helpful answer for me so far. The way you explained the motor sizes makes absolute sense to me now. I know its just a cheapo chinese car and I plan to upgrade soon when my budget allows. From the little I found online this buggy is geared very low from the factory so it can run the large tires it comes with. I know its never even got slightly warm even after a 3s battery run hard. I guess I wont open this can of worms and leave well enough alone. Thanks
If thats the case then just order yourself a bigger pinion gear and just dont run the big tires on it. Thats a cheap alternative to to upgrading the electronics and a 3000kV motor on 3S should be pretty fast with the right size pinion. That will allow you to save toward another kit going forward if thats what you want to do :)

Thanks greywolf, I don't know what pitch it is or anything about the drivetrain other than the motor is a 3.175mm shaft. Is there a way to figure out what pitch I need?

As far as I can work out by digging around on the internet, the F17 uses .8 MOD (.8 MOD is the gear pitch). I can't swear to that obviously but I did find some references online saying it was .8 MOD.

If you happen to have any 32P (another gear pitch) pinions laying around you should be able to use them. .8MOD and 32P are not identical gear pitches so if you have to buy something then Id buy .8 MOD but if you have 32P pinions laying around you should be able to use them also because its very very close to being the same.

I’ve seen some awesome set ups on YouTube!! Some have shoved 5s systems inside. Maybe start there and see what looks and performs the best. Post some videos of your final build to show us how fast that RC goes!!!! Happy RC’ing Y’all!!!

I’ve seen some awesome set ups on YouTube!! Some have shoved 5s systems inside. Maybe start there and see what looks and performs the best. Post some videos of your final build to show us how fast that RC goes!!!! Happy RC’ing Y’all!!!
In a 1/14 scale Banggod special RC? Youd just tear it up in no time flat. How would you even fit 1/8 scale electronics in a 1/14 scale kit? I'm not sure you could even fit 1/10 scale electronics in one but even if you could I'm not aware of any 1/10 scale electronics that will even run on 5S.

Back