TxRx and Getting Started Again Questions - Revo 3.3

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MedTRevo

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Hello,
I admit, it's been a long time since I last posted in the community, so an informal hello to all. That said, my previous questions were always answered quickly and accurately so I know the responses will continue to follow suit. I have a Revo 3.3 that hasn't been fired up in almost 2 years. So the other day, I put her back together, charged the packs and experienced unbelievable chatter. So, I researched some reasonably priced TxRx and seem to be gravitating to the Flysky FS-GT3B. With this, I have several other questions I was hoping to get some direction on as well.

My Ride is mostly stock; however, 3 years ago, I did upgrade the suspension, did a complete ceramic bearing upgrade (this was a great suggestion) and removed the reverse function.

Q1: For a replacement remote that costs < than a bill, is this Flysky decent enough?

Q2: if no to #1, is there another recommendation under a $100.00?

Q3: Given the 2 port Ch1 input on the stock Revo receiver to drive the dual stock steering servos and the single
Ch1 port on the Flysky, will a Y-harness work? If so, is this the only part I will need? Should I expect any
performance bottleneck with splitting output pulse signal via Ch1 to the dual Revo stock steering servos?

Q4: I apologize in advance for what may seem to be another rudimentary question, but I was thinking of
purchasing a basic LED light kit. I like the one that ships with 4 white LED's and 4 Red LED's collapsing to a
single female connector. Can I assume I can simply connect this to an available channel on the receiver and
I'm off and running?
Q5: I never really did much off-roading; pretty much treated her as a street racer. With this, I prefer top-end
versus torque. Until I upgrade the stock 3.3 motor, any recommendations on the ideal clutch bell to spur
gear T ratio? Understanding a larger pinion gear and smaller spur will give me higher top-end, but slower
acceleration and likely generate more heat.
Q6: Given the asphalt/concrete use, any recommendation on rims/wheels to swap the stock ones out with.
I can only assume the treads on the stock wheels simply create more drag.

Thank you for checking my thread and responding.
Much appreciated.
MED

I don't know much about the FlySky, but it's been recommended here before, so I'd assume it decent. There are all kinds of radios under $100 so go with what you think will work for you.
The Y harness will do you fine.
You're correct on the lights.
Gearing... someone more knowledgeable will chime in.
Wheels and tires, if you can afford them, the SRC Road Crushers are belted to fight ballooning, have a really short sidewall for handling, and look sweet. They're ~40 a pair on Amazon. Comparatively speaking, they're priced about right. Another member here has a set of the Terrain Crushers and seems to like them.
Welcome back to the hobby and to RCNT!

If you can ,you ditch the second steering servo an just go with one good heavy duty steering servo.
My sister had a losi muggy that took 2,I talked her into getting rid of that an upgrading to a better single
servo.It was way better an her receiver battery last longer.

Hey Rook, thanks for the feedback. Very helpful and much appreciated. I have checked around and seem to always gravitate back to FlySky. The light kits available are crazy, I saw one that incorporates active braking and signaling.

Cbake, thank you as well. I was thinking of doing this, but trying to keep my costs down a bit especially since I'm starting up again. This is something as well as a throttle servo upgrade I will likely be doing over the summer. Interesting you mention Losi, I was really on the fence with my first monster truck. The other 2 options I was considering (although I do like HPI) was the Losi LST XXL and the Team Associated MGT 8.0.

I've been looking at the Futaba 3PRKA lately. I had an old JR Magnum I really liked and the Futaba resembles it. Buddy of mine has a FlySky that came stock with his Redcat and it seems ok. I don't like the wheel on it, but I can't tell you exactly why. Lol.

Hey Rook, thanks for the feedback. Very helpful and much appreciated. I have checked around and seem to always gravitate back to FlySky. The light kits available are crazy, I saw one that incorporates active braking and signaling.

Cbake, thank you as well. I was thinking of doing this, but trying to keep my costs down a bit especially since I'm starting up again. This is something as well as a throttle servo upgrade I will likely be doing over the summer. Interesting you mention Losi, I was really on the fence with my first monster truck. The other 2 options I was considering (although I do like HPI) was the Losi LST XXL and the Team Associated MGT 8.0.

Lol...She was having a fast battery drain problem,at the point to in the middle of a bash session,she
would have a runaway.One time a neighbor was having a b-day party in their front yard a 100 yards down the
street ,thank God their guess wasn't there yet.
An twice after that ,almost lost it in a grape orchard,an in a huge miles of field.

The last time was funny as hell watching my sister chase that thing back & fourth,each time it hit a rut ,it would
dart off in another direction....LOL......Lol
But come to find out ,one of the servo wires go shreaded up in the center diff causing it to short out.

As the fly sky radio,I've had mine for about 6 years now an have no issues with it ,an whats good about that
is you can purchase more receivers for any other rides or future rides for under 10 bucks.

i realize this is old but i havent been on here in a while so just incase its still pertinent (and because I'm bored anyway) I'll go ahead and respond. :)
Q1: For a replacement remote that costs < than a bill, is this Flysky decent enough?
For bashing the GT3B is good for the money. Especially if you do some of the mods that are out there for it. I use one myself on my bashing kits so i dont have to burn money on expensive RXs for my airtronic MT-4s
Q2: if no to #1, is there another recommendation under a $100.00?
The Airtronics MX-V is about $120 and the Futaba 3PL comes in at about $105. Both of those are decent radios also.
Q3: Given the 2 port Ch1 input on the stock Revo receiver to drive the dual stock steering servos and the single
Ch1 port on the Flysky, will a Y-harness work? If so, is this the only part I will need? Should I expect any
performance bottleneck with splitting output pulse signal via Ch1 to the dual Revo stock steering servos?
Yes using a Y harness will work fine.
Q4: I apologize in advance for what may seem to be another rudimentary question, but I was thinking of
purchasing a basic LED light kit. I like the one that ships with 4 white LED's and 4 Red LED's collapsing to a
single female connector. Can I assume I can simply connect this to an available channel on the receiver and
I'm off and running?
LEDs are generally designed to run off of 12 volts so if your powering them with a standard 6v RX pack it may not work or they will be really dim. Id but a separate small 12v lipo to power them with.
Q5: I never really did much off-roading; pretty much treated her as a street racer. With this, I prefer top-end
versus torque. Until I upgrade the stock 3.3 motor, any recommendations on the ideal clutch bell to spur
gear T ratio? Understanding a larger pinion gear and smaller spur will give me higher top-end, but slower
acceleration and likely generate more heat.
Using a larger spur and a smaller pinion produces more torque. You want to go the opposite of that. I can't recommend anything specific as i dont own a REVO.
Q6: Given the asphalt/concrete use, any recommendation on rims/wheels to swap the stock ones out with.
I can only assume the treads on the stock wheels simply create more drag.
Proline Road Rage are good monster truck street tires.

Thank you for checking my thread and responding.
Much appreciated.
MED

Now that I found spektrum receivers with an actual dipole antenna on them, I'm really enjoying my Spektrum DX3C. I've had spektrum issues for years, but when I stayed within 100 yards, they worked fine. So I lived with it. Then when I got the 5B, it was a real pain as that thing chewed up real estate fast. As did my jato. Then as my bashing buddies all stopped running, I was resigned to run in more open spaces, so I started gearing my other rigs (revo's, savage) taller for more speed to make it more fun when alone and it was also a nuisance. Then last year some time, I found these $9 receivers in China that tripled my range and work perfectly with spektrum dsm transmitters. Now I can drive farther than I can see to control before the FS kicks in.

I only mention it because you seem like your looking for "cheap" and decent quality. I've always liked how spektrum transmitters felt in my hands and I throw them in my carry bag like they are an old wrench, but they take the beating. The DX3C doesn't come with a charge port, but it's easy enough to cut a hole and put a receiver plug jack in them to charge without taking the batteries out, which I did a week after I bought it. Not sure why they didn't put the standard radio charge jack on this thing...

Here's a link for the receiver:
http://www.targethobby.com/3ch-dsm-2-24g-surface-receiver-for-rc-car-rc-truck-rc-bugg-p-4162193.html

Took around 12 days to get to me in the US. I first bought one to try and after confirming it worked well, I ordered 4 more.

Back