Two Traxxas Nitro Builds Modified Twice There Are 3 Now

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll have to talk to the guys at the RC shop about the radios. Might not want to do one remote for several trucks because my buddy will want to toy with one at the same time I am. On top of I plan on letting my oldest play with them at some point here soon. So if I want to run multiple trucks at once that wouldn't work. I do see the point of less batteries.

Get some fuel filter too. Those radios don't look like they have a fail safe feature? do any of your radio have that feature. A must for nitro.

Do you just put a drill or something on that to get it started?

They both have some really strong compression already. Part of the reason I believe we will go to the roto start on the OS motor. After awhile it just kills your hand.
once you get them tuned pretty close, they should start within the first few pulls after priming. starting from fresh at base settings though can be a hassle though. personally i prefer pull start because i can feel what the engine is doing easier, if it feels like i might have over primed it, not spinning completely free as it should, and less chance of trying to start a hydrolocked motor and damaging a piston or rod. but if you use a drill with a clutch set properly shouldnt run into that.

Do you just put a drill or something on that to get it started?
yep, use a battery drill, do not use a corded drill.
set the clutch to be as loose as possible, while still being able to start the truck without slipping. will protect the internals should anything bind up, or get flooded and locked up.

Nice! Yeah we use a cordless little low power screw gun with the rod in it on my hpi. Starts every single time no issues.

20 volt more power than a 7.2 volt

Nice! Yeah we use a cordless little low power screw gun with the rod in it on my hpi. Starts every single time no issues.
unless they started to more recently, i dont think they sell the starter shafts with the tigerdrive assemblies, but if you have the means, you can get a 7/32" allen "L" key the long type with a ball end and cut off the "L". make sure to sand off the edges so dont get cut by sharp edges.

Question, I'm going to get better mufflers and pipe for the Traxxas trucks. Would any muffler from the RC shop work for my HPI to help it out since I only have the stock plastic one?

Question, I'm going to get better mufflers and pipe for the Traxxas trucks. Would any muffler from the RC shop work for my HPI to help it out since I only have the stock plastic one?
as long as it is designed for big blocks, yes, there are many different options for pipes with different characteristics as some are are "tuned" to affect the powerband at certain areas, and some are just an RTR pipe not really "tuned", but still will be better than the plastic.
EDIT for clarification
big blocks need big block pipes, just as small blocks need small block pipes to run properly and to get the most out of them.

Manual for OS .21 rgpx 13612 (os-engines.co.jp) It says 18% oil lube. You engine look almost new and I don't see major tune adjustments. So leave it alone. os #8 plugs will work for the traxxas engine too.

I run 2 teeth smaller on the clutch bell my t-maxx trucks. Great for wheelies and good take off.

Well, I spent about 100 bucks on parts yesterday for the Traxxas trucks. Most of them will go on the classic. Thinking I might take the steering servo off and use the rebuild kit I bought and see if I'm any good at putting it back together instead of just helping my buddy do stuff to these trucks. I bought a new servo as well. So that way we have a backup.

Yes I know I paid probably a little more than I should have. However I'm already waiting way longer for parts I ordered last week because of the winter weather. So I would rather not wait when I have a resource right here and can get parts same day. At least for right now.

I would throw in the trash the steering servos. They are under powered and plastic gears. I use 150 oz metal gears. I have a store in town but I'm not going to pay $12 for an air filter $10 for a fuel filter $10 for glow plug! I can get fuel filter for $1 online and glow plugs $4. I just buy in bulk. I'm in no rush to fix my stuff. I just fixed a 3 channel FM receiver vrs. tying to find and buy one. 1/2 hr. and I soldered a new antenna and fixed the servo pin on throttle channel. No sense throwing it away for a bad channel.

Last edited:
Got a new remote set up. DX3. And either it isn't paired and I can't get it to pair or my servos are all totally dead. Instructions are not that user beginner friendly.

The Dx3 is spectrum and you have to use spectrum receivers. Hold the bind button on rx and turn on and release when it flash. Do the same thing to the transmitter. But hold the brake on for fail safe. Turn on transmitter Bind will be complete when lights turn solid.