Two Traxxas Nitro Builds Modified Twice There Are 3 Now

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I picked up another Traxxas. Revo to be exact. It's so quick! Anyways. Got one of my Traxxas that is dripping fuel from the front of it near the clutch bell and spur gear. What's the best way to fix it?
kind of depends, how much was dripping, and how rich was the engine running? if running really rich especially on the Low end, nitro engines tend to leak out the front bearing a little (if its leaking excessively, bearings could indeed be bad as said above), as they are running, a film layer will build up and seal between the crankcase and the crankshaft in the nose tube, some cranks have a ring cut around the crank to help this action.
if the engine is running excessively rich, too much fuel and oil will build up there and start pushing it out the front bearings.
it is not a bad idea to get new bearings though given that you dont know the history of the existing, more as a preventative measure.
Will an OS big block fit on Traxxas?
on the revo? for the most part yes, but some engines the backplate sticks out too far and will impact the rear upper a-arm. i think there was a database somewhere that had a list of ones that fit and ones that don't.
on the T-Maxx's? without a bunch of customization, no, there just isnt enough room to fit a big block between the shock tower and the spur gear. there were some big block kits you could get which included a new chassis plate, new engine mount, and either an extended rear skidplate, or extended chassis supports, but getting harder to find nowadays.

I run 18% oil lube in all my engines. Even traxxas and they don't leak in the front unless the bearing goes bad. That's the sign its time to replace the crankshaft bearings.

Can't run anything more than 9%. AZ weather doesn't let any of the engines run, no matter the tuning. Anyways, we only discovered the leak after it's done being run. Not when it gets to hot. Not when it's out of fuel but when we get done with it in a general sense.

Oh I'm going to have to change this thread title again. I picked up an older jato over the weekend. $140. Couldn't pass it up. My buddy got it going within an hour after it sat for a couple years. I was out of town. He got it. Worked on it. Runs like a champ with that 2.5 motor. I do wish I had the 3.3 in it though. But it's stupid fast as is. Just needs new tires. In fact all our trucks need new tires.

Would have responded sooner to the answers to my post but I must have swiped away the notification on my phone. So that's a no go on putting the OS motor on a Traxxas huh? My buddy has been watching videos and has seen people do it. Not that I don't take what you say to heart. Perhaps he's watching it with a different one or different truck? I don't know. But if there's a big kit and change over involved then I'm not on board. I'll just stick it in my original savage. That or the red 21 I have brand new.

Can't run anything more than 9%. AZ weather doesn't let any of the engines run, no matter the tuning. Anyways, we only discovered the leak after it's done being run. Not when it gets to hot. Not when it's out of fuel but when we get done with it in a general sense.

Oh I'm going to have to change this thread title again. I picked up an older jato over the weekend. $140. Couldn't pass it up. My buddy got it going within an hour after it sat for a couple years. I was out of town. He got it. Worked on it. Runs like a champ with that 2.5 motor. I do wish I had the 3.3 in it though. But it's stupid fast as is. Just needs new tires. In fact all our trucks need new tires.

Would have responded sooner to the answers to my post but I must have swiped away the notification on my phone. So that's a no go on putting the OS motor on a Traxxas huh? My buddy has been watching videos and has seen people do it. Not that I don't take what you say to heart. Perhaps he's watching it with a different one or different truck? I don't know. But if there's a big kit and change over involved then I'm not on board. I'll just stick it in my original savage. That or the red 21 I have brand new.

I wouldnt worry too much about the oil content ,just as long as you run it a little on the rich side ,10 to 12% on
the oil content is still quite abit an plus most fuel manufactures do use a percentage of castor oil ,so that maybe
one of the reasons for less oil is because of the castor as synthetic burns more cleanly ,castor oil lingers in the
engine an lubes better!

Well as I said, it's only after we get done running it. And it's a drip. Not excessive.

unless its ABN construction engine, 9% will work just fine as long as you arent trying to run it lean, which will damage the engine anyway by running lean for extended periods of time.

nice score on the Jato! those are pretty neat rigs.

it really depends on what Traxxas you are talking about, you said you had a T-maxx, and Revo, you "can" big block either.
T-maxx needs considerably more, and very hard to find parts to make it be able to accept a big block. and will need quite a few upgrades to handle the power reliably.
Revo just needs a big block conversion engine mount, and mindful with how much room you have between the engine and the rear upper a-arm as some starter housings will impact the rear arm to much to be able to modify the arm to get clearance.

Any oil on the chassis means a leak. Front bearings leaking oil is not a common thing. It means the bearings are bad. The engine is losing compression with a leak leaning our the engine.. There shouldn't be anything. As for fuel not all manufacture's add castor oil to there fuel. Especially car fuel. When I lived in AZ I never had a problem running 18% oil lube. The store are telling you wrong as they want to sell you what's on the shelf.$$$$. 18% oil lube buy volume isn't much. Heli runs 22% oil lube and nitro boats run 24% oil lube. I learned the hard way and had to buy a new engine after I ran 12% oil lube in a os engine. It would always shut down after a 1/2 tank run and had to cool it down. Switched back to 18% oil lube and never had problems again. More oil improves pinch and compression. Less oi lube l leans engine out. More is fine not less.

I wouldn't put the big block on the revo. It's dangerous as it is. Lol. No we were wanting to take our parts truck, seeing as it was a good truck but we needed parts since it's motor was garbage without a rebuild. It's a T Maxx. And build it. Or put the big block on the modified T Maxx that has the long body chassis. Other than that, again we will put the OS on my original savage 21 body since we have everything for it but a motor. Seriously we've got about 4 extra motors laying around. The OS we know runs. The other 3 used motors need full rebuilds or at least new piston and sleeve or new sleeve.

My buddy picked up this T Maxx with everything but the A arms upgraded on it. Literally, transmission, suspension (shocks and towers), diffs, servos, fuel tank. The works. Along with a bag of parts on top of that. Plus the whole skid plate and frame upgrades. It came with an extra motor but there's no piston or sleeve. It's a 2.5 motor. We have 2 more of them plus the big block hpi and I think another 3.3 motor. So I guess we have 5 motors. ?‍♂️

I picked up 2 more t maxx's Both need tires and motors which I have 6 spare new motors built up. I scored 2 more kyosho inferno st and a huge box of tires. That puts me up too 10 t maxx's and 32 1/8 scale.

Geeze. And my girlfriend thinks that we might be obsessed. Lol. Not saying you are but we are up to 6 running trucks and 2 that could be running within a couple days. Lol

So we picked up another car. Got a picture. Not sure what it is. Think it's a red cat. It's got a vx 18 motor in it. It's all wheel drive.

Attachments

• 20210310_222146.jpg
    20210310_222146.jpg
    315.9 KB · Views: 73
definitely building the collection.
looks to be an Exceed Rally Monster.
exceed and redcat rebadged HSP vehicles, they arent the best, they are fun, and are good as a light basher. but once you try to push them past their limits they start to fall apart and break, at least in my experience.
should be some fun to cruise around with though.

So will redcat parts go on it? My r/c shop has redcat parts. And in less than 20 minutes we had this one running after the guy we got it from said he had issues keeping or getting it running. ?‍♂️ And can this be converted from a pull start to something else? Plan on giving it to my kids.

So will redcat parts go on it? My r/c shop has redcat parts. And in less than 20 minutes we had this one running after the guy we got it from said he had issues keeping or getting it running. ?‍♂️ And can this be converted from a pull start to something else? Plan on giving it to my kids.
yes most should fit across the brands, mostly all the same between the 3 brands.
there are plenty of conversion to run a rotostart.
they do use a dogbone type starter shaft.
I'm sure there is also a sullivan tiger drive that will fit up to one of these, should be on the sullivan's website for the compatibility chart.