Trying to balance my proline 3.8 trenchers with desperado tires

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fordgtr06

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Let me start off by saying i used to be into planes and nitro trucks/cars years ago. I got out of it and now just recently back in, and I'm seeing that it seems to be not as wide spread as it was when i started into nitro. I have done a lot of research on my options on balancing these wheel tire combo and I am not finding anything that will accommodate this size tire without making a homemade balancer. I have read several forums and post on this topic but everything is dated from what I'm seeing and pictures are long gone. Before these tires shake my truck to pieces i would like to balance them. Does anyone have close up shots of your home made balancers and how maybe to do it without tearing apart an axle shaft? Thanks so much in advance for your help.

There are a number of companies that make wheel balancing putty. There are also a number of 1/8 scale wheel balancers as well as a band held or 2 that may work for you.
https://www.amainhobbies.com/aka-2-...4006/p424683?gclid=CICkuqrSy80CFRJbhgodhQIJHA
This even has a video to show how it all works.

*** hand held***

I was reading in the link I posted and it says it's not comparable with stadium truck tires... I'm not sure what he is balancing in the video, but it appears to be a larger off-road. I'm not sure this particular one will work and may require a call to the supplier to verify. I wish I could help you more. Good luck with it.

I am also wondering, since you've been into planes, is there a way to modify a prop balancer?

Last edited:
There are a number of companies that make wheel balancing putty. There are also a number of 1/8 scale wheel balancers as well as a band held or 2 that may work for you.
https://www.amainhobbies.com/aka-2-...4006/p424683?gclid=CICkuqrSy80CFRJbhgodhQIJHA
This even has a video to show how it all works.

*** hand held***

I was reading in the link I posted and it says it's not comparable with stadium truck tires... I'm not sure what he is balancing in the video, but it appears to be a larger off-road. I'm not sure this particular one will work and may require a call to the supplier to verify. I wish I could help you more. Good luck with it.

I am also wondering, since you've been into planes, is there a way to modify a prop balancer?

Thank you for your response. I looked into modifying a dubro prop balancer that was my back up plan. I had seen the one you posted but didnt know if it would work or not. I might end up ordering it off of amazon just to try it. Building one seems easy but I just wanted to know before I got into it if anyone had pictures so I would be ahead of the game before I started.

Honestly I haven't spent any time yet trying to balance rubber. Have done some foam but it's a totally different thing. I was thinking that by modifying a prop balancer with a rod that fits snuggly thru your wheel, it should work well and the size of them should accomodate most any 1/10 or 1/8 scale tire and wheel. And wouldn't it be great if you already owned one!

No the prop balancer should work and I actually do have one. I ordered the Aka one you posted off of Amazon........We will see if this works but as you pointed out I went back a read the last sentence on their product info and it does say it wont work but the hex should be the same so I don't know why it wouldn't work.

I'm thinking it won't work because the offset on most of the truggy wheels are too deep or because they are too heavy. It's only my experience with 1:1 scale ridiculously large tires on an old blazer I had that makes me think that. Finding a way to balance those wheels and tires was a nightmare. I could do car tires no prob on the machine but the larger ones just wouldn't work. Anyways, that's my guess.
At least the hand held will come with the balance putty too. And who knows, you may have great luck with it. Its not very expensive and worth a shot for sure! I'd like to know how you make out with this if you wouldn't mind posting when you get everything sorted.

I'm thinking it won't work because the offset on most of the truggy wheels are too deep or because they are too heavy. It's only my experience with 1:1 scale ridiculously large tires on an old blazer I had that makes me think that. Finding a way to balance those wheels and tires was a nightmare. I could do car tires no prob on the machine but the larger ones just wouldn't work. Anyways, that's my guess.
At least the hand held will come with the balance putty too. And who knows, you may have great luck with it. Its not very expensive and worth a shot for sure! I'd like to know how you make out with this if you wouldn't mind posting when you get everything sorted.

That makes sense. I will give it a try in 2 days and post my results on here. Thanks again.

Well got the AKA Wheel Balancer Thursday, I put a wheel on held it in one hand and gave it a spin......it would never land in the same place. When I set the balancer on the table and spun the wheel I could get it pretty close to the same spot but that wasn't good enough for me so I went to the hardware store and for less than $10 bucks I made this stand and it works perfectly. I have legs on each corner of the stand and a level so that I can get it level on any surface. I was able to balance all 4 wheels and it rides so much smoother now. Thanks for your help Certified Mike. I hope this will help anyone who is looking at the same problems as I was having.

Attachments

• 20160701_234949.jpg
    20160701_234949.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 298
  • 20160701_235017.jpg
    20160701_235017.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 260
  • 20160702_000514.jpg
    20160702_000514.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 250
Well got the AKA Wheel Balancer Thursday, I put a wheel on held it in one hand and gave it a spin......it would never land in the same place. When I set the balancer on the table and spun the wheel I could get it pretty close to the same spot but that wasn't good enough for me so I went to the hardware store and for less than $10 bucks I made this stand and it works perfectly. I have legs on each corner of the stand and a level so that I can get it level on any surface. I was able to balance all 4 wheels and it rides so much smoother now. Thanks for your help Certified Mike. I hope this will help anyone who is looking at the same problems as I was having.
Nice work

Nice work
Thank you. You can make just about anything with PVC. I made a work stand last year that has served me well.

Attachments

• a2fb23a6-230b-4dd2-81d5-d7dcf26be278.jpe
    a2fb23a6-230b-4dd2-81d5-d7dcf26be278.jpe
    102 KB · Views: 209

Lol...mudder tires are the worse!...

What gets me ,is people will use mudders on the road 90% of the time an will litterely
vibrate the front ends to death ,especially doing 70 & 80 mph on the freeway!...

I'm glad everything worked out for you. PVC is a wonderful thing! A front end that doesn't need replacing every time you use it is even better, scale or not!

Yes sir it definitely rides a lot better.

Back