Having hard time deciding tires for both my Revo 3.3 and my new Traxxas Maxx.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corneileous

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
Hey guys. As the title reads, I’m having a hard time figuring out which tires to get for both trucks mentioned in the thread title.

For the Revo 3.3, I tried a set of the Duratrax six pack mt’s last summer but I had no idea they were gonna be close to 7 inches tall by nearly 4 inches wide. I really liked the tires, the car handled them well and the car handled great on them but I can’t verify if they overheated my motor or not because at the time, I didn’t yet have a temp gun. But the one thing I can verify, is the very next morning of driving my Revo around the house, I could tell something was up with the truck because long story short, I had a broken clutch in the clutch bell. Keep in mind, the clutch was about as old as the truck which at the time was over ten years old but, even though it was that old, the truck had only had about 2, 2 and a half gallons of fuel ran through it since I’ve had it so who knows, it could’ve been primarily due to old age and those ginormous tires was just the icing on the cake that did it in.

I’m really thinking about the Proline Badlands MT’s that are pretty much identical to the Duratrax both in size and tread pattern but if I go that route, I’m probably gonna have to eventually upgrade to a stronger aftermarket clutch and/or possibly change the pinion gear to lower the gear ratio.

What I’d really like is to just stay around the stock height and maybe go up to a 6” tall tire at the most but the only thing I can find is the Traxxas Talons that come in a 6.3 height but they’re still the same ole smaller Talons as far as tread.

All in all, I really don’t want to go smaller width and height-wise as the factory 5.75 Talons that my truck came with brand new but I really don’t want to go enormously larger if I can help it.

Moving to the Maxx; I really like the....
https://www.prolineracing.com/tires/badlands-3.8-all-terrain-tires-mounted-raid.asp
...but I don’t think they have the tougher tread like the....
https://www.prolineracing.com/tires/badlands-mx28-2-8-all-terrain-tires-mounted-raid.asp
....but those above are actually smaller than what came on my Maxx so I don’t want to go with those.

Any help is appreciated.

buy stock tires on ebay and save $$$$ I will never buy new tire again.

buy stock tires on ebay and save $$$$ I will never buy new tire again.
When you say stock, you mean just exact stock replacements as what came on there new?

With all due respect, that’s not answering my question. On my Revo, it sounds like if I wanna go with a tire that has a much better tread on for virtually any surface, it sounds like I’m just gonna have to go with those 6.5 inch tall and 4 inch wide Proline Badlands MT’s or another set of the Duratrax Six Packs.

On my max, it’s pretty much the same thing to where if I want a much better tire that’ll work on any surface that’ll give really good traction is the same size tires for my Revo so, because if go with the original Proline Badlands that has a lot softer and less aggressive tread, I’ve heard those are not really well for hard surfaces like concrete or asphalt. That pretty much if you use them on those surfaces, they’ll be like driving in the summertime on a set of snow tires on your car; they won’t last very long at all.

But those Badlands and Six Packs grip so well in the dirt.
They are....lol. Well, I don’t know about the Badlands but since they’re practically the same tire as the six packs, I’m pretty sure they are but I just wish the darn things weren’t so freaking huge and heavy. Lol.
I might just think about the new design Talon EXT’s that come on the new ERevos since those are only like 6.3 inches tall but I don’t know yet.

Badlands are pretty soft. If your on hard sufaces more often, then stock tires would be best.

Badlands are pretty soft. If your on hard sufaces more often, then stock tires would be best.
Well maybe that’s the case with the badlands… Wait a minute, which Badlands are you talking about? These....
https://www.prolineracing.com/tires/badlands-3.8-all-terrain-tires-mounted-raid.asp
.... i’ve been told are pretty soft and that it’s best to stay off of hard surfaces like asphalt or concrete with these tires; but these...
https://www.prolineracing.com/tires/badlands-mx38-3.8-all-terrain-tires-mounted-raid.asp
.....If they are like the Dura tracks six packs, they’re pretty hard.

But at least one thing I can say is last summer when I had those Dura tracks six packs for a short little while, those are some pretty hard tires. I ran them for about an hour in a great big old gravel parking lot and by the time I was done you can barely tell that they just spent almost an hour sling big rocks in the parking lot… LOL.

The top ones. I use them on a Slash and they will grip so hard on asphalt that it will cause the slash to flip over pretty easy while turning at high speeds.

The top ones. I use them on a Slash and they will grip so hard on asphalt that it will cause the slash to flip over pretty easy while turning at high speeds.
I just put the wide max kit on my new Maxx so hopefully that wouldn’t be a problem but since you use those smaller Badlands on your Slash, how do they hold up on asphalt? I’ve never used them nor have I even seen them in person so I really can’t say what they’re like, I can only go off of what I’ve been told.

I plan on keeping my original tires as spares but if those other tires wear out that quickly on asphalt, I would just as soon not buy them if I have to take them off every time I ran my truck on any kind of asphalt or concrete.

You can Go a way to Big of a tire .. Say like Big Joes... seen those and seen a set on a E revo and they destroyed front n rear diff and primary diff ..The 1st set is the set I like for the revo when its back up n running...maxx Id take maybe a smaller tire size n dia..id go with a 2.8 x 5.25... I like the quick snap out of a jam..

You can Go a way to Big of a tire .. Say like Big Joes... seen those and seen a set on a E revo and they destroyed front n rear diff and primary diff ..The 1st set is the set I like for the revo when its back up n running...maxx Id take maybe a smaller tire size n dia..id go with a 2.8 x 5.25... I like the quick snap out of a jam..
I ended up going with the Proline Badlands 3.8 all terrains for my Maxx. They’re a little bit taller and just a hair narrower. Not sure yet what I’m going to do with my Revo.

You could try a set of arrma backflips. They are relatively tall/high side wall for cushion, but not excessively wide. One thing they are is pretty light.

backflips: 12.5oz
badland 3.8's with hub inserts: 9.2oz
traxxas talon 3.8's (old e-revo and others): 9.1oz
traxxas talon EXT 3.8 (2.0 erevo): 13.9oz

I run the old taller trencher 3.8's on my big block revo (13.4oz):
2020-0723-BBRevo-RCRavenSprings-tankSide.jpg

They are a tad on the big side, but I like them. I'm running a 1/8th clutch with alloy shoes though. I moved the transmission forward 1/4" to allow me to fit the 1/8th clutch/bell on it.

And arrma minkawa (older kraton) tires/wheels on my 21Tm revo (10.5oz):
2019-0404-Revo21TM-Minokawa-tankSide.jpg

I'm running dynamite maxlife traxxas shoes on that one.

Trencher 3.8's vs talon ext's vs talons:
2020-0228-ProlineTrencher3.8-TraxxasTalonEXT3.8-Talon3.8.jpg

Trencher 3.8's vs backflips:
2018-0726-ProlineTrencher3.8-ArrmaDBoots.jpg

You could try a set of arrma backflips. They are relatively tall/high side wall for cushion, but not excessively wide. One thing they are is pretty light.

backflips: 12.5oz
badland 3.8's with hub inserts: 9.2oz
traxxas talon 3.8's (old e-revo and others): 9.1oz
traxxas talon EXT 3.8 (2.0 erevo): 13.9oz

I run the old taller trencher 3.8's on my big block revo (13.4oz):
2020-0723-BBRevo-RCRavenSprings-tankSide.jpg

They are a tad on the big side, but I like them. I'm running a 1/8th clutch with alloy shoes though. I moved the transmission forward 1/4" to allow me to fit the 1/8th clutch/bell on it.

And arrma minkawa (older kraton) tires/wheels on my 21Tm revo (10.5oz):
2019-0404-Revo21TM-Minokawa-tankSide.jpg

I'm running dynamite maxlife traxxas shoes on that one.

Trencher 3.8's vs talon ext's vs talons:
2020-0228-ProlineTrencher3.8-TraxxasTalonEXT3.8-Talon3.8.jpg

Trencher 3.8's vs backflips:
2018-0726-ProlineTrencher3.8-ArrmaDBoots.jpg
These?
https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/AR520049
Those look a lot like the smaller Proline Badlands that I had ordered yesterday for my Maxx. But how do those hold up on pavement, and do they fit Traxxas 3.8 wheels or would I have to get wheels from Arma if I went that route?

But dang, I had no idea the Talon exts were that heavy. Lol. I just ordered a set of those and those Traxxas Geode wheels that have the screw-on beadlocks for those tires from Traxxas.

Last edited:
These?
https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/AR520049
Those look a lot like the smaller Proline Badlands that I had ordered yesterday for my Maxx. But how do those hold up on pavement, and do they fit Traxxas 3.8 wheels or would I have to get wheels from Arma if I went that route?

But dang, I had no idea the Talon exts were that heavy. Lol. I just ordered a set of those and those Traxxas Geode wheels that have the screw-on beadlocks for those tires from Traxxas.
No, those are the backflip LP's, they are the same wheel, but smaller OD and sidewall for the 4S outcast.

These are the 6S ones I pictured above:
https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/ARA520056

Can usually snap them up mounted as take off's for around $60 for a set of 4 at jennysrc and ebay, when you can find them:
https://jennysrc.com/collections/ar...es-wheels-tyres-rims-dboots-backflip-ar106021

Otherwise, they are $80 retail for a set of 4:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ARRMA-1-8-...Front-Rear-2-8-Pre-Mounted-Tires/164293498580

Thinking about getting another set for my ERBEv2 for next spring. Not a tire I'd run on concrete though, kind of why I held off. I run them on my outcast, wrapped with kevlar cord on 6S, but I don't run that truck at my skate park anymore because those tires will get chewed up fast. They hook really good on grass though, and dropped my running temps quite a bit from when I ran the 3.8 trenchers on it.

The LP's on a set of wide offset rims might work well on my stampede though...

No, those are the backflip LP's, they are the same wheel, but smaller OD and sidewall for the 4S outcast.

These are the 6S ones I pictured above:
https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/ARA520056

Can usually snap them up mounted as take off's for around $60 for a set of 4 at jennysrc and ebay, when you can find them:
https://jennysrc.com/collections/ar...es-wheels-tyres-rims-dboots-backflip-ar106021

Otherwise, they are $80 retail for a set of 4:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ARRMA-1-8-...Front-Rear-2-8-Pre-Mounted-Tires/164293498580

Thinking about getting another set for my ERBEv2 for next spring. Not a tire I'd run on concrete though, kind of why I held off. I run them on my outcast, wrapped with kevlar cord on 6S, but I don't run that truck at my skate park anymore because those tires will get chewed up fast. They hook really good on grass though, and dropped my running temps quite a bit from when I ran the 3.8 trenchers on it.

The LP's on a set of wide offset rims might work well on my stampede though...
Egh, those are a bit big for what I want… LOL. But now that I figured out that the acetone trick works really well to dissolve superglue on tires, I think what I’m gonna do is probably just end up just buying me a set of the pro line Badlands MT’s that are about 6.8 inches tall by just under 4 inches wide and maybe use this site and the Traxxas site to see if I can’t sell and get rid of ultimately the two new sets of 14 mm hex Traxxas wheels that I bought last spring along with the four Traxxas Tmax chevron tires and the highly redundant canyon MT tires that I bought as well.
I have a fairly new set of the regular 5.75 inch Traxxas Talons that I really won’t be needing those anymore because since i’m going to go ahead now and upgrade my hubs on my Revo to the 17 mm, the E-Revo Talon EXT’s on the 17mm Geode beadlock wheels will replace the regular Talons.

But yeah, I don’t use the acetone to drop the whole complete tire and wheel in there because I’m afraid the acetone will eat the chrome off of my two sets of wheels so I’m still gonna have to use my heat gun to heat the glue up to remove the tires so once I get the tires off the wheels, I’ll use just a small amount of acetone in a container to just where only each side of the tire is individually submerged in the acetone just enough to clean the remaining super glue residue off the tires.

Last edited:
Back