Trx-6 brushless options

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I do have a voltmeter. I'll read that than and check it. So my next serious purchase for this thing is going to be a steering servo I believe. I already put my new locker servo in. Seems to be working right. But can't drive it until new motor comes.

What are your recommendations for steering servo? Or what would you recommend be my.next upgrade? Now I don't have all the money in the world. But I don't mind spending some on this thing. But it's going to be like 1 piece at a time or if it's something expensive maybe have to wait a week or two.

Standard disclaimer
Do your homework and make sure you understand what's getting connected to what in your rig. It's not in front of me so I can't see all the details. Personally, I'm 100% OK with making a harness or wiring something if needed, but not everyone is. If you're not comfortable with it, lets find a different solution.

Also I don't have lights on any of my vehicles and there may be a "canned" solution. But since I don't know about that I'm going to assume it doesn't exist and you will need to make your own. Which is not that difficult.

Summary
You can probably find an adapter cable (JR to JST) or swap the red connector for a black one. I "think", from looking at your picture, you need the top one, JST Male to JR Female. Again verify it yourself.
1687144948993.png

Details
First, I would verify the voltage of the red (JST) connector fom the ESC, to verify it's 6V and make sure you understand the polarity. Then get a adapter cable (JR to JST) to match or swap the lighting connector to JR female. You will need to verify the gender of the JST connector, probably male, if you go with an adapter. I say male, because the female side usually gives power to the male side. So the female side would be on the ESC and the male side would be the lighting controller wires.

Then the new black connector will go to any open channel on the receiver. The power/ground pins on the receiver are bused together, meaning that all the +/- pins are connected appropriately.

One more thing to look for. There are two different types of JR connectors, see below. The "Futaba" (Left) style connector has the key on the signal side. The standard JR (Right) does not have the key.

You can use a standard JR in Futaba socket but you cannot use a Futaba in a standard socket with out trimming they key off.
1687142274337.png

I believe Traxxas uses Futaba style connectors. If so, you can use either one.
1687145773923.png

If I did this right, your wiring should look something like this. With a male JST and female JR connector.
1687144144781.png

Yeah I do have a voltmeter. I'll read that than and check it. So my next serious purchase for this thing is going to be a steering servo I believe. I already put my new locker servo in. Seems to be working right. But can't drive it until new motor comes.

What are your recommendations for steering servo? Or what would you recommend be my.next upgrade? Now I don't have all the money in the world. But I don't mind spending some on this thing. But it's going to be like 1 piece at a time or if it's something expensive maybe have to wait a week or two.

Volt meters are cheap. This is good enough for hobby stuff. It's $6, then throw in a 25% coupon and it's like $4+tax. I got one for free a few years back and (if I can find it) I would be happy to send it to you for the cost of postage, but it's probably cheaper to get a new one from HF.
https://www.harborfreight.com/7-fun...=362&msclkid=b59884d858b5121613d9e057961fbdc9

Also check garage/estate sales you can sometime pick up a good one for a few $$.

If you want something a bit nicer, Klien tools is usually good stuff and the low end is about $30. The sell similar things a Lowes and HomeDepot. Of course there is always Chinesium brands on Amazon, but for the $$ you're probably fine with the HF if it's just for RC stuff.
https://a.co/d/3WEWps1

For a steering servo on a crawler, more torque is better. I wouldn't consider anything that is less than 400 oz-in. Also Waterproof and Metal Gears are very helpful. Waterproof is another level of keeping the dirt out of it and it will last longer. Metal gears are not only tougher, but you can often find rebuild kits for them if you damage it. Plastic gears won't last long.

I'm running the ProTek RC 1KTBL Black Label at 8.4V. But I also had to do some fancy wiring to get the 8.4V to it and not the mirco servos. Those little guys get upset with anything above 6V. I have the wiring diagram if you want it. There are receiver bypass cables to do this as well. Or just run it a 6V, it still delivers 880 oz-in of torque at 6V.

The ProTek RC 370TBL "Black Label" is also solid, 600 oz-in @ 6V.
The Reefs is more cost effective and makes good stuff. Savox is also strong but they are very chatty and drive me crazy with the noise. Hitec, MKS and ECO power are also popular but I haven't used them.

Also note the current draw on some of these will exceed your 6A of the HW Fusion and you will need an external BEC to make full use of it. Just keep in mind that more volts/amps is better performance but it's also more complex to install.

Lastly, you will probably need a receiver extension with a new servo. They are easy to find and inexpensive.

RC review did a bunch of servo testing. It's very helpful and you can see and hear the results.
https://www.youtube.com/@RCReviewChannel

Well I had a 12t titan sitting around from my 4tec project. So I put that in for now to run it around. And I know the 21t is cheap. But I think I'm gonna spend a little bit of money on a brushless set up. Has anyone actually used a foc system??? Or sky rc they have a sensored set up that seems decent?
if you're still looking for a cheap solution to your problem, i bought a 50$ racerstar brushless set up off of banggood. i mostly run it on 2s, ran it on 3s once, still works. if you want something just a little faster that'll last longer, thats the way to go. (on 2s)

Well I just got the he fusion pro 2300kv and it's a lot of fun!!! Big difference over the brushes 21t. Lots.of power and punch and it's amazing how slow it is also. It's not a speed racer by any means. But with the stock gearing its probably close to 15mph. Which is plenty!!!!! So far I'm happy with that purchase. And I seen guys on yt wire the lights directly into the battery plug. It has resistors built into the light module. And it has an option to put 7.4v to the servos. If I read correctly that is.
All you guys on here thank you a lot!!!! Lots and lots of knowledge over me with RC. Thanks for all the information

Cool. You can always gear up a couple teeth to get some more speed, just keep an eye on temperature.

Well I just got the he fusion pro 2300kv and it's a lot of fun!!! Big difference over the brushes 21t. Lots.of power and punch and it's amazing how slow it is also. It's not a speed racer by any means. But with the stock gearing its probably close to 15mph. Which is plenty!!!!! So far I'm happy with that purchase. And I seen guys on yt wire the lights directly into the battery plug. It has resistors built into the light module. And it has an option to put 7.4v to the servos. If I read correctly that is.
All you guys on here thank you a lot!!!! Lots and lots of knowledge over me with RC. Thanks for all the information
excellent choice. for a great cheapish servo the 9imod servos are all i use. they also make direct power 14v ones you can wire right to your 3s battery output.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/175424286415?hash=item28d81a2ecf:g:riAAAOSwMqxjLAgS

That box in your picture is just a traxxas bec. You can power it from your receiver instead.