Traxxas T MAXX .15 Upgrade

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rufus

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have what I believe is a Traxxas T Maxx 1.5. It was given to me, and I was unable to get any information off of the engine, but the e-z start did say .15 on it. The cooling head was purple, if that helps. Anyway, the engine has poor compression, and instead of repairing, I decided that I would like to upgrade. I wanted to put in the Traxxas 3.3 engine. Will this fit inside the truck? Thank you for looking.

from what you said it does sound like you have the traxxas .15. you can go through traxxas and use there engine exchange program to upgrade to the 3.3. i think its like $115 for the new engine. it will fit in the t maxx. for more info log on to traxxas's website

from what you said it does sound like you have the traxxas .15. you can go through traxxas and use there engine exchange program to upgrade to the 3.3. i think its like $115 for the new engine. it will fit in the t maxx. for more info log on to traxxas's website

Ok thank you. Do I want the engine with the IPS shaft or multi shaft? Also, I will need the upgrade kit, right? Thanks again.

If you have an old Pro.15 Maxx, I would drop an OS 18 in it before I would put a new Traxxas motor in it. The cost will be about the same, but imo you will get a much better engine with the OS .18

I recently put an HPI .18 in my son's Maxx verey happy with it. The 3.3 will require more mods to hook up the linkage and exhaust.

i put a picco .26 max jl red dot. MAn i love it. big improvement from the pro.15 that was in there

Well I would really like to put the traxxas 3.3 in it. But this would be possible right? I seen that traxxas offers a kit for it.

I also considered a HPI nitro star s-25. I have one in my savage 25 and am very happy with it

Last edited:
First off you can't just drop a big block in an old Pro 15 maxx without many modifications, it will not just bolt up to that chassis. Plus, if you go with something like the picco plan to replace many driveline parts starting with driveshafts, and working your way up to tranny and diff gears. You might want to take all this in to consideration before choosing what mill you swap in.

I have an old .15 Maxx an i put the OS .18 CVRX w/slide carb and it is sweet. No its not a 3.3 but it has all the OS reliability and ease of tunning.

I understand that it won't just drop right in. But on the order form for the traxxas engine replacement, there is a kit just for converting the pro .15 t maxx to fit the 3.3 engine. Here is a link: http://www.traxxas.com/PDF-Library/ERP33_consumer.pdf

On the bottom of the second page is the conversion kit.
I have a yokomo .18 engine that came off of a car. Will that work?

The kit will allow you to bolt the 3.3 in if that's what you want. Your other .18 may need mods to fit,I'm not familiar with that engine. Things to look at are the carb throttle style,exhaust location,starting method and crank length. Mounts should be fine.

How can I get the clutch and gear assembly off of my old motor?The large aluminum gear won't come off

I was looking at the different engines that Traxxas makes, and was wondering if I would be better off getting the .33 or the .25? Sorry for all the questions I'm new to this.

Thank you for the help. The transmission will be ok? Also I can use the same ez start?

I put a 3.3 in my Gen1 Classic Maxx...It took some doing but the operation was a success in record time too..I also swapped out the narrow a-arms/knuckles and driveshafts for ones from my 4908 extended Maxx when I converted over to RPM...The stock .15 centershaft lasted 5 seconds before twisting off and the trans output shafts are smaller than the 3.3 trans/centershafts so I used the 4910 ends with the rest of the 4908 centershaft ..The carb slider hit the spurgear shaft so I flipped the carb and relocated the fuel inlet with hsn to the other carb inlet hole....Then I fabbed up a 4908 linkage to work Revo style with the slider.....really nice powerblast compared to the heavier 4908 or even the 4909 with 3.3 that I also have before converting it over to twin 3.3's.

The .15 ez start system motor and gearbox will not work on the 3.3 ...You can get one from a 3.3 4909 or 4908 version off ebay for 20 shipped and you're going to have to get a one way bearing also..Good Luck with yours..

x-15taillightassy401.gif

x-15taillightassy392.gif

x-15taillightassy406.gif

x-15taillightassy407.gif

Last edited:
I am now trying to put in my Yokomo .18 engine. Everything works fine, except that the threaded shaft that the flywheel and clutch fasten to is just a little too long. What can I do here? I don't want to damage anything by cutting some off... Thank you for the help.

you can seal the engine in a plastic shopping bag;-poke the crank through and cut the shaft threads down some with a dremel and a cutoff wheel attachment.....

Last edited:
you can seal the engine in a plastic shopping bag;-poke the crank through and cut the shaft threads down some with a dremel and a cutoff wheel attachment.....
what do you mean "seal it in a plastic shopping bag"? Why would I need to do that?

Back