traxxas stampede xl5

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR4X4KING

I have more toys than I know what to do with.
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
hi just bought one for mama got 3600 mah batteries
it says it does wheelies only time i see any is if i go backwards then fowards really fast
it will wheelie not from a stand still any tricks to it anyone make it wheelie
anyone know about hopup parts maybe a nice big front bumper
let me know thanks

Thats the one with the 12 turn motor? If it is it should lift the front on take off. The most common thing to rob power is the battery, I had a brushless pede that would wheelie at half throttle but with cheep or bad batteries would struggle to wheelie form a stand still.

Are you using a new battery
Is it fully charged
What charger are you using

I am with SMaxxin... I would look at the batteries. My father just bought one and he is using an SMC 4200 6 cell pack and he can't keep the front end on the ground. Also you may want to check to see what profile you are running on the ESC. The XL5 has 3 modes. There is one mode that only runs the truck on 50% power. This setting is for beginners to learn how to control the truck at speed. It should not be factory set to this, but it may be something you want to check. Since you have to hit the button on the ESC to turn the truck on... it may have gotten set to that setting. Just something to consider. Let us know.

Tom

i am using brand new racers edge 6 cell 3600 mah charging with a dynamite vision peak 2 charger it is set at 1 beacause it flashed only once

Last edited:
When you use a new NiMH battery pack, it usually takes several charge/discharge cycles before they really wake up and give all they can. I noticed a marked difference between when I first got my latest pack and after I ran it through about 6 charge/discharge cycles.

You can also (correct me if I am wrong) run up to eight cells on the new esc.
If this is the case, I would invest in a nice seven cell hump pack. Nothing adds more kick like an extra cell!

Also not sure what size bearings the new kits come with, but if they're 5x8's, you'll want to upgrade to 5x11's sometime in the future.
RPM makes axle carriers that will house the bigger bearings, and these will be much stronger than the stock pieces. (Both the carriers and the bearings. I have blown many 5x8's in my day.)

Get that done, and you'll need the new wheelie bar from traxxas!

anyone else have any great knowledge to share keep it comings thats how we all learn
thank you

i was thinking of getting one of those. but i am still looking for truck.

When you use a new NiMH battery pack, it usually takes several charge/discharge cycles before they really wake up and give all they can. I noticed a marked difference between when I first got my latest pack and after I ran it through about 6 charge/discharge cycles.

Great point! Hamz... it does take a few charge discharge cycles before a pack really comes into its own. My 4200 packs are just starting to show what they have and I have run them at least 6 maybe 7 times now. Give it a few more cycles. That pack will come to life and you will be on two wheels in no time.

Tom

Are you quick charging the batteries or trickle charging them? I've noticed a large improvement in my EZ start batteries by trickle charging them at 100 milliamps to start out with. Only downside is that it takes a long time to do. (100ma output = 16 hours to charge a 1600mah battery.)

Are you quick charging the batteries or trickle charging them? I've noticed a large improvement in my EZ start batteries by trickle charging them at 100 milliamps to start out with. Only downside is that it takes a long time to do. (100ma output = 16 hours to charge a 1600mah battery.)

I tried trickle charging a new pack once...It always lasted long but it was lacking the punch I was looking for, even after several quick charges it never seemed to fully recover. That might be ok for a starter but when the pack is powering a truck you want as much punch as you can get.

Run an 8 cell hump pack and it will wheely for a long ways.

Batteries Batteries...:yes:

It's been said and I agree. You need to cycle those NIMH packs 2-4 times before they really get moving. But if I could run 7-8 cells, I would buy me a set of those IB 7 cell 4200s ;) Mama will freak out with those babies.

This place has a pretty good deal on IBs
http://www.boomboombatteries.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=4

Last edited:
I know this thread is old, but I didnt see anyone say the obvious.

Slipper clutch...Lock it completely down if you want wheelies. Very rarely will you get wheelies with a loose slipper.

Back