Traxxas Slash

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Non Crimen

RCNT Cyclist
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys,
I am thinking of getting a traxxas Slash when i sell or i guess if i sell my tmaxx :)
haha but is the slash a good truck? i just want it to mess around with when i have time off of work. i have a losi xxt thats about 15 years old with all the bells and whistles but i want to upgrade to a slash! Should i go with a vxl?
Thanks Guys!
-Nick

I have a older version of the Slash and love it, the only upgrade I did was aluminum shock caps because the plastic ones tend to pop off when getting extreme air off a skateboard ramp. I also put a brushless system in it and would recommend getting the brushless version, more speed and better run times with brushless. Add a couple 5000mah 2s lipo batteries and a charger and your set to do some bashing.

Sent from my Samsung Admire

Sweet! how long does the truck run usually?

ahh now I'm so psyched!!! what is the average run time/Speed?

I would prefer the Blitz for 2WD and a Durango DESC410V2 for a 4X4. If your not racing then Slashes are fine for bashing.

yeah I'm not gonna race. Just for bashing :) from what i under stand the slash is completely water proof? So theoretically it could fall in 3ft of water and be fine?
-nick

It is NOT waterproof, it is water resistant! Don't submerge it. You can run it outside when it's wet though. As far as run times go, I'd guess about 15-20 minutes.

how water resistant? the traxxas catalog says that the slash vxl 2wd has a waterproof velineon brushless power system. But for all i know the are just trying to sell. but driving through a puddle would be ok? i have seen crazy water videos though.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG9QXdmLwBw"]Traxxas Slash Water Test (From Box to Pool!) - YouTube[/ame]

Driving though water would be ok - generally though, electricity and water do not go well together - dont forget, it's designed as a car, not a submarine :)

I had a Slash 2wd - I put a Caste Creations 3800 brushless in it and ran it on c3's - It was quick! I was a bit overpowered though - I pretty much found every weakness they had!

My advice:-

- if you can, spend the extra coin and get a 4x4 - once you upgrade the power of a Slash 2wd they get a bit hard to control

- 1/8 buggy wheel conversion was the second best upgrade I did on the Slash - the stock slash tyres dont offer much grip

- the best upgrade I made was purchasing RPM A arms - fitted the RPM arm and never broke another

- buy spare replacement A arm pins - when you hit something - they will be the first thing to break/bend

- unless you intend on upgrading the motor right away, dont waste your money on a brushed Slash - go brushless

- lipo batteries rock! C2's will do you find - C3 are great if you are silly like me and consider that too much power is not enough.

- if you do power up your Slash, it will tend to eat drive shafts - drive shafts in my Slash became consumables.

- they are fun off-road, but on high traction surfaces, such as ashpalt, with their high centre of gravity they tend to flip . . . actually, even on dirt they are a bit hard to get around a corner quickly without flipping them onto their lid.

ok il look into it some more... I'm not planning on upgrading the motor for a while so i would just do the 2wd vxl for right now.

Although not recommended, I have driven my slash through puddles that cover the chassis w/o any issues.

As a basher you'll love the 2wd VXL :yes: My son's has taken a beating and even though I'm a die hard nitro guy,I like it :thumbup: We get 25min runs with fully charged 5000mAh 2s.

Last edited:
sweet but now i think once i sell the tmaxx i will get the 4x4 VXL Because i found one brand new with radio RTR for $384.99

Traxxas's waterproof isnt always 100% waterproof. if you submerge it especially for any length of time and the RX case is especially known for having water seep into it. I believe even Traxxas's website recommends not submerging their waterproof electronics although I may be mistaken.

also the connections arnt waterproofed