traxxas crawlers vs Axial

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WPLGOODIE

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Hello all -

I know everyone out their has their opinions and likes and dislikes when it comes to RC... but I was wondering what people think. I am looking into getting a crawler. I am new to the crawler world (and the hobby) and was wondering... Traxxas VS Axial? If you guys can let me know what you think that would be awesome!

Thanks!

I have a Traxxas Defender and an Axial SCX10 III Jeep. Both do well out of the box, but I find the Traxxas slightly better in performance and runs smoother. Both will significantly perform better with a bit of brass down low, especially the top heavy Defender body.
The TRX4 2 speeds works great, although I find that leaving it in the faster gearing works find for slow crawling, so I don't even ever shift into low. The stock esc did crap out on me, so I replaced it with inexpensive, but solid $40 Hobbywing.
The SCX10 III has a digital unit built in that is controlled thru the remote via a micro servo. These servos are total pieces of đź’©! Replaced them 3 times and they still die after just a few uses (yes, I've properly set endpoints). I find the dig function underwhelming anyways, so I just leave the 3rd dead servo in the non-dig selection, permanently!
Here's an excellent comparison video.

0615211729a.jpg

This is my Pepper Posse!

All of my crawlers are based on the SCX10 platform and a couple Redcat crawlers.
I can't honestly give my opinion on the TRX crawler because I've never owned one but I am going to purchase the TRX4 sport kit.
I've never believed in the "what's the best" category because they are all great rigs,
so it's about what we put into them.
Most important thing is, have fun with them and there is endless options with which ever you choose.

Last edited:
If you are new to the hobby my suggestion is to get you a trx4 sport kit and build it. You will learn a lot along the way and see them from the inside out. I put a sensored brushless setup in mine, so no need for a 2 speed.

My vote for the Sport kit as well! Great kit to build, great performer out of the box.

Get a 1080 + cheap brushed motor, or a Fusion SL, cheap servo and a decent radio and you're set

My vote for the Sport kit as well! Great kit to build, great performer out of the box.

Get a 1080 + cheap brushed motor, or a Fusion SL, cheap servo and a decent radio and you're set
Very true... A Hobbywing 1080 for $44 and a Reedy Radon 16t for $34 is a hard combo to beat. I've used that combo on an axial Capra and a couple crawler builds. Plenty of wheel speed and low speed control.

Holmes Hobbies is another great motor.

Holmes Hobbies
Yes they are! I have a Holmes Hobbies CrawlMaster Expert 16t going into a Vanquish VS4-10 build I will be starting soon. I have their puller pro 2200kv in another VS4-10 build, and just ordered the puller pro L 2700kv for my Axial Ryft build

I started with Axial, and I always recommend the same thing, but they are no longer what they used to be, both Axial and Element, FOR ME , they are more of a toy than a somewhat professional RC, at least to the eye or to the touch, you look at one of these chassis and it seems "naked", besides that the quality for example in Axial has dropped a lot, I think the Traxxas is a very good option, and Vanquish has released an RTR that surely won't be bad, but it comes incomplete like the Axial3, a negative point .

I've got the full TRX4 version with lockers and 2 speed. If you are just crawling, skip the upgrade and go with the sport. It's less weight and less stuff to worry about breaking. If it's a trail truck then by all means get the good stuff.

It's a good rig and Traxxas tough. But you will need to add some brass and modify some bits if you want it to climb. This is mine, and it does well and I've put a lot of time into it.

I can't say much about Axial SCX10 as I only the own the SCX24 which was good at the time but out classes by a lot of other micro crawlers now. I do know there is a ton of aftermarket and mods for the SCX10 series. Also there is a Pro Kit that looks very promising.

Vanquish and Element also have a good following but they don't seem to have the aftermarket support.

In the end off of them are good brands.

The TRX4 2 speeds works great, although I find that leaving it in the faster gearing works find for slow crawling, so I don't even ever shift into low. The stock esc did crap out on me, so I replaced it with inexpensive, but solid $40 Hobbywing.
The ESC probably burnt out because you were crawling int 2nd gear. Even though it works it's a lot of stress on the ESC and motor to do that.

The ESC probably burnt out because you were crawling int 2nd gear. Even though it works it's a lot of stress on the ESC and motor to do that.
I still feel that it's just a matter of Traxxas opting to use cheap, poor quality stock rtr electronics. In any case, it was easily resolved with an inexpensive, good piece of electronic.

I still feel that it's just a matter of Traxxas opting to use cheap, poor quality stock rtr electronics. In any case, it was easily resolved with an inexpensive, good piece of electronic.
Oh, that entirely possible. It's not the best stuff out there, it works OK but for $40 the HW 1080 has much better options and more control.