Transmitter / receiver issue

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QLD Blues

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi All,
Just joined and needing help from you please.
I have a savage Flux XL and it never seemed to be able to steer sufficiently. I have recently upgraded the servo from the standard to a 20kg hoping this would help but it hasn't. It still seems to not have enough power to send to the steering servo and subsequently, the wheels turn a minimal distance. It all works great when its up on a stand of course but as soon as it is on the ground and running it is super low. The turning circle is about 15M
I was told that i should upgrade my transmitter and receiver to something that will carry the power to the servo. Is this correct? and if it is what should i look for? TIA

the thing is are you having a brown out ? id say yes so you need to add a ubec. they can be found for under 10$ usd.. a new radio wont add voltage to a unit (thats the esc) whos amps can not supply the servos needs .. and you need to tell Us whats in the savage.. along with radio gear?? now when u add a ubec you willl need to remove center wire on esc radio or rx plug the + wire.. thats just my best guess from helping others 100's of times b4 with same issue..
if you decide to go this way there are many many ubec..id get 1 with 2x the amps you need...I have many I like the 1 with leds on it to show me what my onboard electronics are doing as in amps needed.. I call it a xmas tree it has 8 leds on it... they run from 3 amps(no) to 40+ amps.. I use the 25 amp versions..id try 1 of these b4 thinking a radio will fix your issues...

Thanks but I'm weak at this. What is a UBEC? Can you send me a link?

Welcome in @QLD Blues , you might even adjust your steering dual rate on your transmitter. It may be just a simple fix as that and it wouldn't even bother me if you don't google it.... ;)
@tntpoof have you ever stopped and wondered how low volume this forum would be if all the questions were googled instead? You seem to be bothered sometimes when questions are asked.

you again are giving information without knowing what the op has.how do you know he has a radio that offers dual rate adjustment(more than likely not)what bothers me is when people say microwave a lipo battery to dispose of it and other sit back and allow this to happen. no comment to your comment !

Again? Exactly why I said "it may be", and no I don't know what radio he has. I offered a suggestion and chose not to be rude about it. Not exactly sure where the microwave came from but I have to agree with you on that one. You are nothing but rude to people, bottom line.

There are brands of servos that draw more current than others that cause the aforementioned brownouts. I replaced a HiTec servo with a Savox of about the same specs and it caused brownouts on the receiver. I had to go with a Battery Eliminator Circuit (BEC) to fix the problem.

Could be the servo saver has loosened on you. The savage has an adjustable servo saver in it. Regardless how stout your servo is, if the servo saver is loose, it will absorb all the torque and not steer the tires.

The thing with the silver spring on it (may be a black spring depending on the truck):
2010-0410-SavageServoSaver.jpg

The knurled nut can be turned to compress the spring some. This makes it stiffer so more of the force from the servo goes to the tires. You don't want it fully tight though as then it will defeat the purpose of it, which is to absorb shock when your tires hit stuff.

I have a hitec 7955TG in mine, puts out 333oz/in. It does well even with 3.8" trenchers on it. A 20KG servo should be around 270oz/in.

Also depends what ESC you have in it. I'm not sure what comes in the savage flux xl anymore. Post up what your esc is and we can look and see what the BEC in the esc puts out for amps. My FluxHP came with the F360C which is a rebadged castle mamba monster v1. It had a very weak bec circuit in it. Something like 3A if I remember right.

the fuse is already lite.
lol she going to blow captain..