Took the plunge on some 1/24’s

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RazzyRazz

RCTalk Talkaholic
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
Got this SCX24 C10 and then impulse buy of the RC4WD Trail Finder 1/24. I really have no idea why the TF’s are so spendy but got it for $130 CDN and sticker was $269……

Any ways i would not spend full price on one. RCAWD rims showed up for the C10 need to trim the body but they are brass and wow add some beef.
FB6ED66A-2E00-4759-8B39-8DC8A4BFD3DE.jpeg
5D103F9A-43FF-4A5B-9123-34C32753DBAE.jpeg
CC589B12-0DB8-4E0D-80A9-36E984D0CE01.jpeg

I've almost pulled the trigger on a 24 a couple of times. Now that the TRX4M is on it's way though I think that's the route I'll end up going.

Going to see if I can pick up a 1/18 diecast car cheap at a thrift shop this weekend to take apart and weigh the body to see if a diecast body on the TRX4M platform would be worth trying.

With th crawler community firmly entrenched in 1/24 and 1/10 scales, do you think the 1/18 will catch on at the club level? It seems it would require a dedicated track being in between the two currently popular scales, so I wonder...

With th crawler community firmly entrenched in 1/24 and 1/10 scales, do you think the 1/18 will catch on at the club level? It seems it would require a dedicated track being in between the two currently popular scales, so I wonder...
That's the reason I find it kinda odd Traxxas made the 1/18. Unless they have plans to make a bunch more, I don't see it gaining a lot of popularity at the hobby shops that have dedicated crawler courses. I mean, who wants to build a course that is suited for one rig? So yeah, you make a very good point.

That's the reason I find it kinda odd Traxxas made the 1/18. Unless they have plans to make a bunch more, I don't see it gaining a lot of popularity at the hobby shops that have dedicated crawler courses. I mean, who wants to build a course that is suited for one rig? So yeah, you make a very good point.

There isn't a huge difference in wheelbase. 133mm vs 155mm. Width of 99mm vs 124mm.

I'm not a comp guy, I crawl wherever I happen to be so I'm not concerned about courses.

This is hypothetical at this point. I wouldn't buy the TRX4M without physically seeing one first anyway. I just think for the type of stuff I do the little bit extra in track and wheelbase will be a better fit for me on paper.

"Scale" is all kind of off anyway. Most 1:10 is on a sliding scale like Hot Wheels and Matchbox. It's 1:10ish.

Maybe Traxxas is off their rocker, maybe they just want to be different. I'm sure if I already had a 1/24 I would be fine with it, I just want to see what Traxxas is bringing to the table.

Yeah, for outdoor crawling, scale wouldn't really matter. You just gotta find the terrain suited to your crawler. But if I was Traxxes, I would have jumped on the 24th scale bandwagon rather than build a 1/18. But maybe they have a few other 1/18 scalers in the works. It really would not surprise me. Look at the number TRX4 offerings.

With that though, I'd really like to get the TRX4M. I just think they are killer looking trucks. And before I got into 24th scale, I really loved the 1/18 scale stuff.

I'm a multi scale kinda guy. ;) Considering the new FMS FCX24 is really 1/18 scale as are most of their mini releases. I think there are enough 1/18 scale rigs floating around that Traxxas will be fine with this release.

I'm a multi scale kinda guy. ;) Considering the new FMS FCX24 is really 1/18 scale as are most of their mini releases. I think there are enough 1/18 scale rigs floating around that Traxxas will be fine with this release.
I completely forgot about the other FMS trucks.

I completely forgot about the other FMS trucks.

I wish I had picked up a FMS Katana when they were $70 on Amazon.

Funny enough crawlers/trail trucks are what brought me back to the hobby and when I first started looking into it I thought about going cheap "hobby grade" as a starter. I'm glad I started with 1:10 initially and the TRX4 has been a great truck for me but it was about the time the WPL and FMS trucks were $50-$80 for the plastic or metal upgrade kit respectively and the FMS stuff was $60-$70 and would go blowout price on prime day.

With all the inflation talk we often forget about the cost of things when we were younger. I was talking with a friend a while back about how for what a Tyco/Radio Shack/Nikko etc., cost when we were kids and the modern FMS/WPL, etc. is way more car for the equivalent money. 3D printers are the same way, you can do more with a $300 one now than you could do with the $5K one my friend's business had years ago.

I do have kind of a weird thing about scale admittedly. If I see a model that looks out of scale I will generally end up looking up the specs for the real-world equivalent. For example, most people don't realize that a 70-72 Chevelle is both wider and longer than an 80 Series Land Cruiser. I only know this because I owned a 70 Chevelle so I have quite a bit of 70 Chevelle diecast in all kinds of scales from N up. I picked up an 80 Series 1/18 diecast truck cheap at a thrift store for a friend that had a 1:1 80. I set it down next to the Chevelle on the table and it just didn't look right. So I looked up the real specs for them and measured them out and they both were within 1mm+/- of 1/18.

Nerd out. 😆

Thanks for all that information. I didn't realize some of the 1/24 stuff was so close to 1/18.

Probably should have since my Stampede, E-Maxx and Summit are still often called 1/10 scale, and there's a really big difference in wheelbase and track width among those.

I need to compare my RC18 MT to the new TRX-4M, just out of curiosity.

The only crawler I have is an HPI Venture which came in kit form, and carries a Dodge Power Wagon body from Pro Line.

I knew the FCX24 was way out of scale when I first saw it. I think since it has a shortened wheelbase, they called it a 24 to compete with the SCX24.

I don't think Traxxas was all that accurate with their scale depiction on the trx4m. My nephews both have Trx4m's and side by side comparison with the fms 24 power wagon, there isn't much difference.

I don't think Traxxas was all that accurate with their scale depiction on the trx4m. My nephews both have Trx4m's and side by side comparison with the fms 24 power wagon, there isn't much difference.
The FMS Power Wagon is actually closer to 1/18 scale I thought?

It is definately bigger than the scx24 but is advertised as 1/24.

It is definately bigger than the scx24 but is advertised as 1/24.
Yeah, they shortened the wheelbase to make it close to the SCX24 in scale I'm guessing. But side by side from what I've seen, the FMS is noticeably a larger scale.

Back