too heavy or not too heavy? SCX24 question....

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sir6foot6alot

RC Newbie
Reaction score
how heavy is too heavy? I just installed a komodo mini on my C10and I am loading up on brass and anything I can find that lowers the CG, but it got me wondering. at what point does weight get ridiculous? can you be too heavy? is there an optimal weight (assuming I'm 60-40 in weight distribution)?

Personally I wouldnt think weight really matters that much in most crawlers, at least the 1/10 scale ones anyway because you can adjust pinions etc for more torque if you need it. The SCX24 it becomes more of an issue as the stock motor and servo are notorious for burning out even at stock weights. If you upgrade those two things then you're probably OK but you'll be faced with a lack of pinion size choices still though.

how heavy is too heavy? I just installed a komodo mini on my C10and I am loading up on brass and anything I can find that lowers the CG, but it got me wondering. at what point does weight get ridiculous? can you be too heavy? is there an optimal weight (assuming I'm 60-40 in weight distribution)?
With that mini Komodo I am guessing you should be able to add as much weight as you want without any problems with the motor. But...

There is a point when gravity on your rig overcomes the traction of your tires. That is for you to figure out, based on the surface you are driving on, and what tires you're running. You will find a point where the weight of the rig just pulls it down your steeper obstacles.

In a climbing contest we had with the WPL crawlers, I added lead weight to the front of a B16, to keep the front end from getting light on the tires. It worked great. I also added a few bb's to the front tires, and after each test, I added a few more, to see if there was a breaking point where weight was too much... and there was.

Agree with both above comments. The rig I tested weight changes on was a 1/16 scale, and the tires available for it were crap compared to the offerings for the SCX24. I probably should have mentioned that earlier lol.

Oh, and welcome to RCT! 👋

Last edited:
Honestly, that's the beauty of 1/24 scale, it's very reasonable priced parts.

I think there is a law of diminishing returns on 24's, but I don't have an exact number in mind. Whatever weight range I did on Taco Truk has been pretty magic. A bud has a mofo built custom that'll outperform Taco now, but I don't know the weight on his. And mofo kinda knows his sh*t.

I think there is a law of diminishing returns on 24's, but I don't have an exact number in mind. Whatever weight range I did on Taco Truk has been pretty magic. A bud has a mofo built custom that'll outperform Taco now, but I don't know the weight on his. And mofo kinda knows his sh*t.
We need to find out what makes Taco such a beast. Send him to me for a complete analysis 😝

There are a lot of things to take into consideration isn't there? Just changing the diameter of your tires can have a pretty big impact.

You only need a slight heavier balance up front. Don't make the mistake of going too heavy. I did that as a rookie.

As far as too much weight, my heaviest scx 24 has a high torque servo and brushless out runner surpass with the rear oriented mount. There are moments where I have actually pinched a finger holding the truck, while accidentally bumping the throttle. They can put out a whole lot of torque, with any pinion installed. Far as performance, if you add all the brass you can... doesn't matter how much torque. Gravity will keep it down.