Tmaxx with OS .18 cvR

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daeday02

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I ran my tmaxx the other day and was ready to drive it. I was able to get the engine running but the wheels were not moving at all. I took out the reverse servo. That wasn't the problem. I need some help maybe some examples of what it can be. Is there a way I can kill the engine I tried but it wouldnt let me turn it off. Can someone also send me a good air filter as mine is old and falling apart.

Does that model have a slipper clutch, and if so, do you need to adjust yours? Got rid of my last nitro powered 3 years ago, and have not run one in 5.

As far as it not turning the wheels, where does the rotation stop? Does the flywheel spin? Clutchbell? Spur gear? Center driveshafts? Wheel axles?
If it stops at the flywheel, probably just need to tighten the flywheel nut, stops at the clutchbell, probably the clutch needs service, if the spur gear spins but the center cvds dont, Slipper or transmission gears (if hub or slipper pads are spinning it is in the trans or the grub screws in the center cvds backed out.) If the center cvds spin, then it's in the diffs or again the grub screws closest to the diffs.
Are you able to push the truck manually to make the spur spin? If not it could be either something broken in the trans or, it could be as simple as the brakes have locked up.

As far as it not turning the wheels, where does the rotation stop? Does the flywheel spin? Clutchbell? Spur gear? Center driveshafts? Wheel axles?
If it stops at the flywheel, probably just need to tighten the flywheel nut, stops at the clutchbell, probably the clutch needs service, if the spur gear spins but the center cvds dont, Slipper or transmission gears (if hub or slipper pads are spinning it is in the trans or the grub screws in the center cvds backed out.) If the center cvds spin, then it's in the diffs or again the grub screws closest to the diffs.
Are you able to push the truck manually to make the spur spin? If not it could be either something broken in the trans or, it could be as simple as the brakes have locked up.
Wait... when you removed the servo for reverse, did you install a "forward only kit"? Or did you just remove the servo?

Wait... when you removed the servo for reverse, did you install a "forward only kit"? Or did you just remove the servo?
Can't believe I didn't remember that. Doesn't the reverse act as an idler shaft when not in reverse?

D3MON said: Wait... when you removed the servo for reverse, did you install a "forward only kit"? Or did you just remove the servo?
Can't believe I didn't remember that. Doesn't the reverse act as an idler shaft when not in reverse?
Yep, well it acts as an idler either way, just has an extra idler for in reverse to reverse the rotation.

I installed that for a buddy, like a million years ago. But out of respect for my illness, my whole club has gone electric. At least that's what I want to believe. I would suck it up and fix their trucks, but suffered tremendously for it.

Btw that O.S. cv-r is an awesome engine, got mine from the guy that runs the rc counter at my LHS used with about 2 gallons through it, and it lasted me another 4 until I rebuilt it (it still ran but definitely needed rebuilt) , bear in mind that was my first nitro and I was 13 and to cheap/could not afford a temp gun, so you can imagine,I was not easy on it.
Side note: you will get frustrated as all @#$% on your first time rebuilding the pull start that is the only repair I can specifically remember on that engine.

No I do not have a forward kit on it yet

No I do not have a forward kit on it yet
That is why, just removing the servo means that the idler shaft is in limbo between forward and reverse gears, neither of the are engaged. You can zip tie the linkage on the trans to hold it in forward, but get that FOC asap.

The FOC removes a lot of rotational mass out of the trans and the final output gear is wider, so while making it more responsive, it also holds up better. Just an FYI, with the FOC, the spur will no longer free spin in one direction.

Back