Tire/acetone/wheel removal question.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarnFabRC

RCTalk Talkaholic
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
How detrimental is the acetone to the tires themselves?

I have a set of green compound sprinters that have a lot of life left in them but, the wheels they’re on are beat to death. One has a split hex and the rest are just rashed up from racing real bad. I’m hoping to salvage the tires and put them on a new set of wheels.

I’m thinking if I support them so they’re not actually in the acetone and just let the fumes go to work they might be ok. I have a nice sealed Tupperware to put them in, so it shouldn’t be too stinky in the RC room.

Whadaya think? I guess I don’t have much to lose in trying… If it works I’ll have a good set of practice tires.

How detrimental is the acetone to the tires themselves?

I have a set of green compound sprinters that have a lot of life left in them but, the wheels they’re on are beat to death. One has a split hex and the rest are just rashed up from racing real bad. I’m hoping to salvage the tires and put them on a new set of wheels.

I’m thinking if I support them so they’re not actually in the acetone and just let the fumes go to work they might be ok. I have a nice sealed Tupperware to put them in, so it shouldn’t be too stinky in the RC room.

Whadaya think? I guess I don’t have much to lose in trying… If it works I’ll have a good set of practice tires.
I've read your described method works. I've not tried it myself, but I have a few I need to remove as well. I saw where a guy put 2 sets in a big storage Tupperware, suspended the tires on a rack, added acetone, sealed the top, & waited, can't remember, it was next day maybe, & he said they peeled right up. Just a thread I read about it.

I use the fume method and it works great! I have had certain stock plastic wheels melted down to sludge just from the fumes, so beware. Tires all seem to be fine.

I use the fume method and it works great! I have had certain stock plastic wheels melted down to sludge just from the fumes, so beware. Tires all seem to be fine.
Nice. I really don’t care about the wheels. They’re thrashed already. I’m just hopeful that I get an extra set of tires out of the deal 😂

Has anyone tried CA glue remover/debonder before? Was thinking of getting a bottle and trying it.

Nice. I really don’t care about the wheels. They’re thrashed already. I’m just hopeful that I get an extra set of tires out of the deal 😂
Just be mindful of the Tupperware you'll be using. You may want to test and see if the acetone will dissolve your Tupperware.
Has anyone tried CA glue remover/debonder before? Was thinking of getting a bottle and trying it.
Never tried it, but I would think it would take a lot more work and effort than the acetone method.

I didn’t know that was a thing. I’ve only ever heard of the acetone method. If you get some post it up!
Never tried it, but I would think it would take a lot more work and effort than the acetone method.

I'll find out when it gets here. I'll post up results good/bad after I've tried it.

I don't care for the vapor method, it tends to leave a stringy sticky mess.

If I want to preserve the rubber then use the oven method:

1) Heat oven to 350°F
2) Turn off oven
3) Insert wheels on cookie sheet
4) Let oven cool
5) Remove wheels and test bead removal after tires have cooled so you don't burn your fingers or use gloves

Repeat as many times as necessary until the tires can be removed, typically 3-4 cycles

What gets stringy and sticky? The glue itself?
My experience was that the glue became like dried rubber cement. It just peeled right off the tire. No mess at all.
0914211526.jpg

Update: I set them up last night to fume. I just checked them when I got home from work and it’s definitely working. But needs more time. The bead facing down has gotten softer than the bead facing up. I was almost able to get the softer beads to free up. So I flipped them all over and I’ll give it another 24 hrs. No signs of the wheels softening (AE yellows) and my container seem to be unaffected as well. I propped the wheels up on some wood shims. Put about .25” of acetone in the bottom of the box. Box seems to seal well no odors at all.

What I could see if the glue was the consistency of that stuff they use to stick your new credit card to the piece of paper that your information is on.

(Edited some stupid autocorrects)

Last edited:
I've melted a set of wheels before. They were RPM wheels. I can confirm it was a sticky mess. And I've done a set of Stock Traxxas wheels and it worked great with no melting. Must be whatever RPM uses for its plastic doesn't like acetone.

A friend of mine said they do the debonder method. He uses a Q-tip to apply and it works great.

I have simply used a heat gun and wore leather gloves. The heat softens the glue and the tire peels off. I did put denatured alcohol around the bead and let it soak awhile, but I don’t know if that acted as a debonder or not.
I have seen video of debonder being applied then heat from a heat gun was used. Flawless victory.

Well 24hrs later they are a lot closer but still need time. I can roll the glue on the outside right off into little booger balls and it doesn’t stick to my fingers at all. I can get about half of the bead off on both sides of all four wheels. There’s still some sections that are adhered well enough that it feels like I’ll rip the tire if I pull at it any harder.

They’ll get there. I’m in no big hurry.

alot of things in this hobby take more time than we think.except soldering and most of the time calibrating a esc.(had one tke2 days of radio adjustments but that was all me a air esc that was not meant to be a ground esc but I made it work,,LOL at the nay sayers.

Back