This one I most definitely have to share...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. I put a ton of hours into her so I really hope she will fire up. The engine was really gummed up so I stripped it and cleaned everything.

Thanks. I put a ton of hours into her so I really hope she will fire up. The engine was really gummed up so I stripped it and cleaned everything.
Can't wait to see her rip. You did a heck of a job. That is a completely different looking vehicle!

Thanks man. It was fun.

Thanks bud, hopefully Tomorrow when I get back from riding.

Can any of you Tmax owners or have owned recommend a good motor mount I can use for the conversion? I don't recall seeing actual conversion kit.

Can any of you Tmax owners or have owned recommend a good motor mount I can use for the conversion? I don't recall seeing actual conversion kit.
"How2rc." He's has videos on YT. And a couple different styles mounts to choose from. That bolt up to the 4 holes already there for the engine. I did mine with a revo 2.0 trans. And the 3.3 spec driveaxles and centers

I've been seeing a lot of nitro threads lately across the forums and Facebook. Makes me want one.

Nitro definitely seems to be picking up some steam as of late, I see the threads, and a lot of stuff on Facebook really coming alive the past year. I suspect when Kyosho's USA-1 nitro hits the shelves you're going to see a major spike. Still wondering where those are....c'mon Kyosho, let's go!

Nitro has never been inconvenient or hard for me. They are such simple little engines, diagnosing troubles is usually pretty easy. Tuning isn't much of an issue if your using good carbs(i.e. anything other than Traxxas, lol). Best advice I ever got was to write down the factory needle settings of each engine I own.

It's rare that I show up at the park and my trucks don't start. Very rare. Usually they start instantly, and I warm them up and start ripping around. I sometimes have to tweak the HSN on occasion, but that part is the fun of it. Then I get to run all day long without recharging. Can't tell you how many people running electrics have seen me this year and said they want to get nitros.

The instant torque thing is way overstated. It's literally no advantage on dirt. If you're spinning, you ain't winning. What's more important is traction and handling(and driver skill!). I've raced my small block TMaxx against plenty of brushless vehicles and it fares well. I turned in the fastest lap times by far at a recent event this Summer with my aluminum race TMaxx using a Dynamite .19 engine. At another event I was running my solid axle nitros, where off the line quickness was more important, and I was getting off the blocks as quick as anyone(crashing was my downfall, lol). And I'm literally just using a tiny bit, maybe quarter throttle on launch - otherwise the truck either cyclones or flips over backwards. Both of those Dragonoid trucks make more power than can be used - if I try to run them on pavement, the driveshafts and swingshafts, both upgraded cvd steel units, get demolished.

"How2rc." He's has videos on YT. And a couple different styles mounts to choose from. That bolt up to the 4 holes already there for the engine. I did mine with a revo 2.0 trans. And the 3.3 spec driveaxles and centers
Thanks, I'll check him out.

Thanks, I'll check him out.
There are a few but his I think are the best. With different options for the esc to mount to. If your just looking to swap the motor. And throw in a single tranns gear. Just a heads up the 2.5 axles and center shafts might not hold up to long. With the tourqe of the brushless. Thats why I just built mine with a revo 2.0 tranns and center shafts and axles specs.

Nitro definitely seems to be picking up some steam as of late, I see the threads, and a lot of stuff on Facebook really coming alive the past year. I suspect when Kyosho's USA-1 nitro hits the shelves you're going to see a major spike. Still wondering where those are....c'mon Kyosho, let's go!

Nitro has never been inconvenient or hard for me. They are such simple little engines, diagnosing troubles is usually pretty easy. Tuning isn't much of an issue if your using good carbs(i.e. anything other than Traxxas, lol). Best advice I ever got was to write down the factory needle settings of each engine I own.

It's rare that I show up at the park and my trucks don't start. Very rare. Usually they start instantly, and I warm them up and start ripping around. I sometimes have to tweak the HSN on occasion, but that part is the fun of it. Then I get to run all day long without recharging. Can't tell you how many people running electrics have seen me this year and said they want to get nitros.

The instant torque thing is way overstated. It's literally no advantage on dirt. If you're spinning, you ain't winning. What's more important is traction and handling(and driver skill!). I've raced my small block TMaxx against plenty of brushless vehicles and it fares well. I turned in the fastest lap times by far at a recent event this Summer with my aluminum race TMaxx using a Dynamite .19 engine. At another event I was running my solid axle nitros, where off the line quickness was more important, and I was getting off the blocks as quick as anyone(crashing was my downfall, lol). And I'm literally just using a tiny bit, maybe quarter throttle on launch - otherwise the truck either cyclones or flips over backwards. Both of those Dragonoid trucks make more power than can be used - if I try to run them on pavement, the driveshafts and swingshafts, both upgraded cvd steel units, get demolished.
100% agree. The nitro has better traction in dirt. The electric even with 1/4 throttle your spinning wheels.Like you said it's all about your throttle controlI. I've run nitros last 20 odd yrs .And I've never had a problem with mine starting. And idling. Maybe in beginning.But not now even if they sit for a few weeks. All about care/mantiance and the tune. Like you said some small adjustment to HSN. After couple mins of warm up and its on...But you also have to adjust for colder air hot air and the humidity. Small adjustments but till got to get it to the sweet spot. And You can run all day just fill tank while it's still running. With good gearing and tune. Its balls to the wall all day. It's all about the tune. And you don't have to worry about over heating..or run times. with electric it's all about the convenience factor for people getting their first RC . After after they saw the nitro RC and said that's cool and sratched their heads. they saw the electric one. Charge battery plug and play. I will take it not knowing Anything about a RC car/truck.. You also have to watch those esc/motor temps.Which comes back to throttle controll. You can't really run full throttle for long with electric. Or you will get Thermal shut down. Which will trigger faster with a bunch of different terrains. Sand, mud ,soft dirt. Unless you are running on pavement and your set up will Handel it. But most electric don't like being ran at full throttle for long. And the lipos can be very problem mattic. If you don't take time to learn about them and don't use or take care of them properly.And if your batteries die. Well then 😝😝 your done after 20-40 mins.But usually its the new person with the complete RTR combo. That only has one battery or one set because they want to see if they will like it first before spending more $$. LOL. But you do have to stop and change them and let the RC cool for a min. If you do have more batteries/sets. I don't like to run either of them on the pavement or concrete. To be honest.I would rather play in the dirt. Or job sites much softer ground with crashes and impact. I'm can't just drive in circles in a parking lot. Or do speed runs back and forth for long that's to boring for me. That's why they make the parts to fix them. They know we will need them. 😆🤣 it always comes down to what floats your boat and interests you. But you will need to buy another bottle of fuel. Before you buy another battery .Though nothing compares to the smell and sound of nitro. 😍😍👍👍

No luck on the mounts used in the How2rc videos. I search his site and his domain has expired so all I get is different sites linked to it. No luck finding any mount close to that.

Awesome find and a very awesome job rebuilding it! You make all Tmaxx owners proud!

I personally suggest leaving it nitro because you have a full built and awesome machine in front of you!
I understand electric on this would be awesome and I kinda want to sebut maybe if you find a cheap roller 2.5 chassis with most of the things you need, then you could convert that as a cool side project (then you have 2 TMaxx’s that can race each other and bash around with)
Maybe you use the nitro and have a friend over using the electric, it can be fun for the whole family lol!

either way. Awesome build and I will be following you to see how things progress!

Surprisingly enough, she fired after only 6 quick pulls. There is a couple issues I need to work out yet because the wheels started spinning like it should when I touched the throttle but then quit spinning. Not sure why but I'll find out.

Awesome find and a very awesome job rebuilding it! You make all Tmaxx owners proud!

I personally suggest leaving it nitro because you have a full built and awesome machine in front of you!
I understand electric on this would be awesome and I kinda want to sebut maybe if you find a cheap roller 2.5 chassis with most of the things you need, then you could convert that as a cool side project (then you have 2 TMaxx’s that can race each other and bash around with)
Maybe you use the nitro and have a friend over using the electric, it can be fun for the whole family lol!

either way. Awesome build and I will be following you to see how things progress!
I'm still kind of up in the air as far as deciding, but honestly, I am leaning towards leaving it nitro. Thanks for the suggestions.

Surprisingly enough, she fired after only 6 quick pulls. There is a couple issues I need to work out yet because the wheels started spinning like it should when I touched the throttle but then quit spinning. Not sure why but I'll find out.

Hey, it wouldn’t be nitro if you didn’t have to work out a few kinks!

I have a 2.5 with a reverse gear installed.
I was having issues getting it to move and it would just rev in its spot, because the reverse servo wasn’t strong enough to hold the Gear Shaft in the forwards position.

Do you have a Reverse gear?
If not you might have to pull the tranny apart to give it a quick look

I'll take it all apart and see what's going on.

It sounds really good! Glad you got it going. I wouldn’t convert it, but that’s just me. Either way it’s an awesome truck 👍🏻

Thanks @watertrucker . I took it back apart and there was a part or two missing on the reverse mechanism, so I took it all out and reinstalled the shifting gears and works great now. Don't ask me how but it does... :p
I'll take it out and tune it in the morning and make a few adjustments. Getting too hot out there for me now.

Back