Thinking of about a TC4

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetmechG550

RCTalk VIP
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
OK, help me out here. My only electrics are a Mini-T and a M18. I have a Revo and an NTC3. I travel quite a bit and was thinking about getting an electric on road to throw in my bag when I have to fly commercial. I've been happy with Associated and have been leaning towards the TC4. I found it for $189. Do you guys feel that's a pretty good price. Also need recommendations with a ESC and motor. I'm also thinking of dumping my current charger and getting a MRC Super Brain 969 if I go with a 1/10 electric. Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks :cheers:

That will be a good buy there is a lot of support from local hobby shops & on line for parts. for an ESC you will have to be a little more detailed.
What type of motor & how many turns can help decide what the best buy & what spend you are looking @.
& what will be the use for the car bashing around or are you looking for speed.

i havent heard too many good things about the super brains so i think you might want to look into that a little bit more

but thats just what I've read around the forums

I'd be looking for a motor and esc to race with. I don't need to get the best motor and esc out there, just looking to have some fun on some tracks when I'm on the road. I'm not too familiar with the classes that are out there for electric and what's common since all my racing has been Nitro. I'm guessing 19 turn is common from some of what I have read.

As far as the super brain I was going that way since it does Li-Po's along with NiCD and NiMH. I was toying the idea of a brushless in either the Mini-T or M18.

Isn't the classes n00b, Stock motor, 19T, and Mod? I think an ESC that can handle anything down to a 10T Mod would be all you'll need ever for racing. It really comes down to what classes you could see yourself running at any time in your life, and how much money you want to spend.

While i've only been to the track once, I did find, it's probably best to be able to charge two battery packs at one time. I think the 969 does it. Also, there was something about the 969 and li-poly's. I could be wrong, but I thought I heard the 969 isn't actually compatible with li-poly's and it has been known to damage li-poly's (which btw, can start fires if charged wrong or damaged).

I guess that is where my ignorance and paying attention come to play as far as classes and electrics, I wasn't sure what basically is a stock motor. If you buy a kit, like the TC4 it doesn't come with anything so I guess that is where I was missing something. I'm leaning 19T. I'm lost on esc's because there are so many available and such a broad price range. The parking lot races I normally attend locally with my NTC3 run electric but it's kinda run whatya brung. Thanks

Here is some choices
ESC LRP2 $160 no limit on motor turns & best it's waterproof
'' '' Novak Dually no limit $110 it's bulky in size
Motor for stock class Trinity monster 27 turn $35-$40
" " Surge 27 stock My best recommendation :whhooo: www.surgeworldwide.com $37
" " 19 turn Trinity Chameleon stock $40
Charger Lrp 2 $160 you will need a power supply for indoors or a car battery.

I bought a Novak Dually for about $90 or so. It's pretty good for the money. But yeah, it's HUGE compared to the newer ones. I had lay the receiver on it's side to fit with the ESC in my tc3 when I still had it.

Thanks for the info fellas, I'll see what I get myself into!

i have the super brain 969 and i like it...been good to me

but do not charge lipo`s on it it is not compatible no matter what super brain says do a serach on lipo`s or superbrain you will get some good info on this

as far as a esc goes let your pocketbook and needs dictate if you think your just going to run 19t you could get a lrp runner for like $50 i think

I started assembly of my tc4 yesterday! woo hoo!!! now I just have to buy all the electrics and a charger and a couple batteries, thats gonna hurt :OMG:

A good charger for around $70-$100 depend where you shop is the Vision ultra peak it does everything. except talking back to you

Thanks, I'll check it out. Yeah Sponbob, that stuff costs more than the kit! LOL

I'm almost done with the kit, it goes together easier than I thought. I built a trainer plane a long time ago, and this is way easier. my body is about half done. I'll probably order my electrics soon. I went to an indoor dirt track tonight, and it was pretty cool, I may use my new radio on a nitro buggy this summer :shrug:

Where's the indoor dirt track at? Your in So IN aren't you? Hey if you ever make it over to Marion, IL check out Redline in the Marion mall. Carpet and off-road. We used to head over to Evansville once in a while when I was going to school in Carbondale and it was only like 1 1/2 drive. I think there is an outdoor track in Marion too.

my tc4 rolling chassis is done. I still don't have any electrics though. I think I'm going to order a novak gtx and a p2k stock motor this weekend. I'll probably order a radio through the lhs. Still need to get some foam tires to run at the carpet track, and a good charger and batteries when I start racing. I'm just going to run this cheapo duratrax charger and some $10 batteries until I actually race.

Cool, good luck with it. You should get yourself a multi model radio like the 3PM or the JR.

I had the jr xs-3 in mind. I know horizon sells it, you think they have the best price?

Did you check Tower or Ultimate? They usually have pretty prices. Also check eBay (RCBoyz or Hobbyguyrc, etc). I think Ultimate Hobbies was running a free shipping on some stuff until the end of the month.

well, I bit the bullet and bought everything for my car. got the novak gtx, monster stock motor, foam tires, deans connectors, two 1900 packs (cheap, and all my charger will handle), and some other nick nacks. that stuff was plenty, but then I went to the lhs and bought a jr xs3. got that for $190 plus tax. the only other thing I need to be race ready is a good charger & batteries, but thats gonna wait till fall when my driving skills are better. I've got a piranah peak charger that will have to do for now.

Back