The Mgt line up

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Animeweeb

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Scale Builder
Hey guys i just found a really cool nitro monster truck called the Mini Mgt 3.0 on my other thread and i was thinking since nitro trucks are gaining more popluar again would Ae bring back the MGT line up they were pretty cool from the pictures i saw and they seems like a really great monster truck most people say they are the better version of the T maxx

Hey guys i just found a really cool nitro monster truck called the Mini Mgt 3.0 on my other thread and i was thinking since nitro trucks are gaining more popluar again would Ae bring back the MGT line up they were pretty cool from the pictures i saw and they seems like a really great monster truck most people say they are the better version of the T maxx

I wish they would ,not sure if the brand Thunder Tiger made one ,but the engine is more reliable than Traxxas
ever put out ,as it is a Thunder Tiger engine with AE name on it!
Just have to wait an see if they repop this out ,like other brands are doing to their previous models!.. :thumbs-up:

i really hope they do bring back he MGT and Mini MGT, but i dont know, AE is typically a more race brand.
they are great trucks though. have 2 of the MGTs, and 2 of the Mini MGTs. i will 100% say are better than the T-maxx.

It would be nice if they brought it back. Always wanted an 8.0

I wish they would ,not sure if the brand Thunder Tiger made one ,but the engine is more reliable than Traxxas
ever put out ,as it is a Thunder Tiger engine with AE name on it!
Just have to wait an see if they repop this out ,like other brands are doing to their previous models!.. :thumbs-up:
i think thunder tiger use to make one that is the same as the mgt called the MTA4 it's basically the same as the 4.6 mgt I have an Mgt 8.0 but the issue is it won't start so from what i learned the engine was locked up i freed it by putting some nitro fuel in it then heating it up but the issue with it now is it won't start idk why i tried returning it to factory settings and whenever i try to start it the engine keeps getting floded when i am not even priming it

i think thunder tiger use to make one that is the same as the mgt called the MTA4 it's basically the same as the 4.6 mgt I have an Mgt 8.0 but the issue is it won't start so from what i learned the engine was locked up i freed it by putting some nitro fuel in it then heating it up but the issue with it now is it won't start idk why i tried returning it to factory settings and whenever i try to start it the engine keeps getting floded when i am not even priming it
i would disassemble the carb and clean it up. good chance old fuel gummed up and is plugging up the needles.
Thunder Tiger and AE both designed the MGT/MTA-4, they are the same truck, just AE sold to the NA market, and TT sold everywhere else.

i would disassemble the carb and clean it up. good chance old fuel gummed up and is plugging up the needles.
Thunder Tiger and AE both designed the MGT/MTA-4, they are the same truck, just AE sold to the NA market, and TT sold everywhere else.
alright thanks i'll give a look at the carb but do you know any way to remove a stripped screw head the screw head is stripped because there was rust on it and now it won't turn and when i try to start the truck some nitro fuel comes out the pipe and a little bit of smoke

Ok i just did the Traxxas after run proceadures by spraying WD40 in the carb and into the glow plug hole and gave it a few turns tried to start it nothing happend i have a video on it don't worry about the air filter the og one was really bad and the foam was falling off so i took a Mask cut it and used it then on top of the mask i put a paper towel tissue on it for the air filter it's hard to find air filters for this truck now i did put 1 or 2 drops of oil onto the mask filter

Last edited:
Maybe its just me but your rotostart sounds like its spinning very slow?

Yes it's spinning slow it's just a drill i don't have a proper starter that works should i buy a starter?

Sounds too slow to me.

Whats the volatge on the drill, and does it have any speeds. At this moment I'm gonna say a pull start or electric start wont be a bad idea. Hpi also has the roto start, same principal as what your doing.

Sounds too slow to me.
Oh ok then i'll try to order a normal rotor starter and see how it goes
Why are all the rotor starters diffrent now the shaft has like a Pin in it it's not a hex like the one on the mgt

Attachments

• 1626808210007.png
    1626808210007.png
    127.6 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Ok i just did the Traxxas after run proceadures by spraying WD40 in the carb and into the glow plug hole and gave it a few turns tried to start it nothing happend i have a video on it don't worry about the air filter the og one was really bad and the foam was falling off so i took a Mask cut it and used it then on top of the mask i put a paper towel tissue on it for the air filter it's hard to find air filters for this truck now i did put 1 or 2 drops of oil onto the mask filter
as far as the air filter, Dynamite makes a good one,
https://www.amazon.com/Dynamite-Complete-Air-Filter-System/dp/B0006O4ZPQ
your drill is not spinning fast enough to start it, the rotostart in your link may work with the hex drive you are using now, but the shaft that comes with the rotostart will not work. also you will have to reverse the wiring to the motor in the assembly as the one those are designed for have a gear in the backplate, while yours is direct to the crankshaft. i have no idea how well those hold up though TBH.
HPI makes a pretty decent one though i do not know about their availability, and the other one that i have liked was the Losi spin start, but those may also be hard to find.

honestly might be cheaper/easier to source getting a 20V drill, i got a black and decker lithium battery 20V from home depot for around 50$ and works well for starting the nitros, and misc household and shop projects.
with that rotostart you linked would need a 6cell NiMh battery and charger if you didnt already have one, adding on another 20-30$

as far as the air filter, Dynamite makes a good one,
https://www.amazon.com/Dynamite-Complete-Air-Filter-System/dp/B0006O4ZPQ
your drill is not spinning fast enough to start it, the rotostart in your link may work with the hex drive you are using now, but the shaft that comes with the rotostart will not work. also you will have to reverse the wiring to the motor in the assembly as the one those are designed for have a gear in the backplate, while yours is direct to the crankshaft. i have no idea how well those hold up though TBH.
HPI makes a pretty decent one though i do not know about their availability, and the other one that i have liked was the Losi spin start, but those may also be hard to find.

honestly might be cheaper/easier to source getting a 20V drill, i got a black and decker lithium battery 20V from home depot for around 50$ and works well for starting the nitros, and misc household and shop projects.
with that rotostart you linked would need a 6cell NiMh battery and charger if you didnt already have one, adding on another 20-30$
Alright thanks i'll try to find a strong Drill this should work right?
1626811810050.png

Last edited:
That Craftman will work but HERE is a Black & Decker on Amazon for $49. They have some off brand 20V drills as cheap as $34 bucks on there if you're really on a budget.

That Craftman will work but HERE is a Black & Decker on Amazon for $49. They have some off brand 20V drills as cheap as $34 bucks on there if you're really on a budget.
alright thanks those drills seem handy

He said that its flooding ,so the needles are cleaned an working too much!..:hehe:
i'll still have to buy a new drill that's the only drill i have that works plus i think it needs more power sometimes it won't turn the rotor and slips it's not the bearing it's the drill slipping

will this be a good rotor starter? https://www.amazon.com/Handheld-Sta...rds=nitro+rotor+starter&qid=1626808587&sr=8-2

You dont want to hydro lock it an shatter the rod ,that is what I did on my 8.0
with a power drill!

If that is a 3 needle carb ,make sure that you DID not open up that mix meter needle ,as
it will over flood the engine!..:cool:

That is what happen to mine ,thinking it was the LSN ,but I had opened them up too much ,
an it was actually a clogged tank filter ,then when I cleaned the tank ,I for got to reset my
needles back an destroyed the engine!

Last edited:
He said that its flooding ,so the needles are cleaned an working too much!..:hehe:

You dont want to hydro lock it an shatter the rod ,that is what I did on my 8.0
with a power drill!

If that is a 3 needle carb ,make sure that you DID not open up that mix meter needle ,as
it will over flood the engine!..:cool:

That is what happen to mine ,thinking it was the LSN ,but I had opened them up too much ,
an it was actually a clogged tank filter ,then when I cleaned the tank ,I for got to reset my
needles back an destroyed the engine!
yeah i don't even think the Mix meter is adjustable it's just stuck i tried adjusting it it's jsut stuck

Back