The Crawl Chronicles

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peabody Town Forest 8/27/21

Haven't crawled for 11 days. It's been either wet or oppressively hot and humid. It's Friday and it's dry and hot, but tolerable, so right after work, I headed for my favorite, local stomping crawling ground. I haven't had a chance to fully field test my new winch, so it was Jalapeno's turn to hit the trails.
While the heat and humidity was bearable, the flying bugs were super annoying and in abundance. Bug spray kept them from biting, but it didn't stop them from dive bombing my face and head. It was fine while I was on the move, but it made winching not so fun 😒
Despite this annoyance, I did have fun playing with the winch. Although the winch had plenty of power to pull my heavy Gen8V2, it struggled to hold it's position when the motor is at rest. However, this is only on very steep incline. This is the only winch I've ever used, so not sure if a better winch, like RC4WD, would be up for the task.
After about an hour's run time, the small split ring that connected the hook to the winch line failed. Will have to look for an alternative connector.
0827211703a.jpg
0827211708a.jpg
0827211709.jpg

0827211714a.jpg
0827211715a.jpg

I'm glad somebody is getting some play time, it's been at least a month since I've had a chance to play, I'm going to try this weekend.

@Xraycer You need a bee keepers hat to keep the flying critters out of your eyes and from going up your nose when your trying to winch. :wtf:

9-11-21

This morning got to go out and play a bit. I took El Diablo to the spot I call the mounds. Just a bunch of piles of dirt, gravel, and construction debris. Most of it is too loose to crawl up, but there are a few spots where, you can get a line up the hills. It is a challenge but I've got to find some new places to play.

PSX_20210911_110607.jpg

Last edited:
9-11-21I

This morning got to go out and play a bit. I took El Diablo to the spot I call the mounds. Just a bunch of piles of dirt, gravel, and construction debris. Most of it is too loose to crawl up, but there are a few spots where, you can get a line up the hills. It is a challenge but I've got to find some new places to play.

View attachment 132373
That looks just like the dirt hills by me. Loose enough the tires just dig in. No clay in it.

9-11-21I

View attachment 132373
Glad you got a little fix! That's a nice shot!

Family birthday party today, so no crawl session. Actually, I did get some crawl time on my small course, in the back property. First time crawling with Jalapeno's new wheels. I weighed Jalapeno the other day, it came in at 9.5lb! 😮
0911210850_Burst01.jpg

This one is my favorite. Based on the SCX10 but custom built. Holmes Hobbies, with a Hobbywing 1080. I don't remember what servo is in it but it is my favorite crawler. I run on 2s.

crawler.JPG

Last edited:
Peabody Town Forest 9/27/21

Wow, I've really been slacking on my crawling! Its been a month since my last crawl outing. This will be the first time I'll truly be putting the new Hobbywing Fusion brushless system and new steel rims through a full run.
Yep, between the powerful, buttery smooth motor/esc and the heavier wheels, the crawling performance went up. I believed it went up even more of I could have been able to mount the Traxxas Canyon Trail tires to those new wheels, but those stock Redcat Super Swampers did do well. Towards the end of the session, I did lose a couple of beads on 2 of the new rims. So, those will have to be remounted.
The forecast called for cloudy and small chance of rain all day today, but it has been sunny and beautiful with temps in the low 70's.
0925211236a.jpg
0925211236c.jpg
0925211243_Burst01.jpg
0925211247.jpg
0925211252a.jpg
0925211253b.jpg
0925211309.jpg

Beautiful man. I sure hope I will be able to get out at least one more time before the bad weather hits.

Beautiful man. I sure hope I will be able to get out at least one more time before the bad weather hits.
Thank you, Sir!

I hope you get out to do some crawling as well. The weather here is just starting to get to my liking: cool, low humidity, and biting-bugs free.
@Xraycer Good to know you still suck! And can't you find anywhere good to crawl? And seriously, Redcat? I mean why did you even charge your batteries? :p
Glad to hear that my suckiness is still relevant!
This cat is slowly evolving into a lion. Well, maybe a lynx.

@Pat_ranch Wow, what a beautiful backdrop!

Last edited:
It's been really nice in Idaho also but some serious life stuff taking place in my world. A couple more weeks I should be able to play.

Back