Temp gun – which one would you recommend

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

igorkv

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
So which one would you recommend?

Are on board are good?
What if you have two cars, you need 2 onboard or it eathy to move them from one to another. You don’t run both simultaneously.

Thanks in advance,
Igor

this one so expancive. Better be good.

The Duratrax Infrared Temp works like a champ. Accurate readings every time.

I use the one olds linked to, the Radio Shack one. They show the price at $49, but if you go to the store they are usually $39, and they often run them on sale for $29.

Can't beat the Radio Shack for the money. I got it for $24.99 plus $8 battery. The onboards suck, they DO NOT last.

I wouldn't recomend an on-board because if you have more than 1 car or r/c product it is a pain to keep switching. I use the duratrax hand held lazer pointer.

On boards can be a pain in the %$#. They easily get dirty with oil and grime. It will coat the temp reading wire and throw your readings way off. I would definitely get a handheld IR.

I use the duratrax flashpoint,it's a great temp reader at an awesome price.the ofna version looks really good too and it has a distance to spot ratio of 3:1,as compared to the fashpoint's 1:1 ratio.this means that the ofna will take a reading off a smaller area at the same distance,this is good for getting a more accurate reading off the glow plug and not the area surrounding the plug.

here's the duratrax...
and here's the ofna

I know you guys don't like onboards, but
Will not "Micro" version of Venom temp gun fit NTC3?
I see it on eBay for very good price.

It will fit but trust me an onboard is going to get dirty and give you bad readings. Even up to a 60' difference. A friend has an onboard and he is constantly having to borrow my IR b/c his temps are way off. They get dirty easily and the temp wire can't get a good reading. For $25, the IR is the cheapest and hassle-free way to go.

Here is a link to even save you $2 since money seems to be a factor for you.
Duratrax IR Temp Guage for $23 instead of $25.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0095P?FVSEARCH=vh1010&FVPROFIL=++

Trust me, the onboard simply won't last and won't give you accurate readings. You will end up buying 3 or 4 of them. It's best to get a handheld.

Thanks DL. No questions anymore.:) (About temp guns)

Thanks guys. Thanks DL. Just got one from eBya for $15.50

Back