Tekno Electric Conversion of Revo 3.3/Tranny Issue

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Graywolf, total victory with that locker from eBay. Fit perfectly. I have the tranny back together. And thanks Lukedavis, your drilling plan was totally my backup.

Thanks Graywolf, total victory with that locker from eBay. Fit perfectly. I have the tranny back together. And thanks Lukedavis, your drilling plan was totally my backup.
Awesome! Glad you can finally rip it around as God intended... On electric power! lol

From your mouth to God’s ear, Graywolf. First attempt resulted in deficient performance. Then the Revo came to a stop unbidden. At first I thought I blew the transmission. But it’s fine. Thankfully. Turns out I had the slipper clutch too loose, at least I think so. Two of the three pads flew off! So now I have the new pads to install and I’m going to tighten the slipper clutch and try again. Btw, at least with the tools I have on hand, it seems you have to pull the tranny to adjust the slipper clutch. And that transmission has been in and out so many times, that I’m worried about stripping the screws, and I’m praying every time. Anyway I’ll report back after I run the truck with the tightened slipper. In the meantime,if any of you have any comments or suggestions, let me know! As always I very much appreciate all the kind help on offer here. I wouldn’t have got this rc running without it! And thanks again especially to you, Graywolf.
From your mouth to God’s ear, Graywolf. First attempt resulted in deficient performance. Then the Revo came to a stop unbidden. At first I thought I blew the transmission. But it’s fine. Thankfully. Turns out I had the slipper clutch too loose, at least I think so. Two of the three pads flew off! So now I have the new pads to install and I’m going to tighten the slipper clutch and try again. Btw, at least with the tools I have on hand, it seems you have to pull the tranny to adjust the slipper clutch. And that transmission has been in and out so many times, that I’m worried about stripping the screws, and I’m praying every time. Anyway I’ll report back after I run the truck with the tightened slipper. In the meantime,if any of you have any comments or suggestions, let me know! As always I very much appreciate all the kind help on offer here. I wouldn’t have got this rc running without it! And thanks again especially to you, Graywolf.
I’m

Hope you get it squared away. Not familiar with that slipper but typically on my rigs I tighten the slipper all the way down and then back it off 3/4 of turn

The slipper is different from one rig to another. Most at only 3/4 turn out would be more like a locker 😜

The slipper is different from one rig to another. Most at only 3/4 turn out would be more like a locker 😜
Thats what I have most of my rigs set at. They will slip but not easily.

I looked at Traxxas's website and the T-Maxx slipper is totally different than the Traxxas kits I have. The type of Traxxas kits I have the recommended starting point is 1 turn out from fully tightened. The T-Maxx is different animal though. HERE are the instructions from Traxxas.

Thanks guys. And, yea Sir, I saw the Traxxas instructions. I posted a new thread on this too. Hope I’m not wasting folks’ time. I think I’m going to try locking it down tight, no slip if possible, and run it carefully on 4s again.

Thanks guys. And, yea Sir, I saw the Traxxas instructions. I posted a new thread on this too. Hope I’m not wasting folks’ time. I think I’m going to try locking it down tight, no slip if possible, and run it carefully on 4s again.
With it fully locked your going to be prone to drive line breakages, especially if you land any sort of decent jump on throttle.

Graywolf, I know, sadly. BUT for now I’m going to run 4-5s only and will take it a lot easier I bet, than you would, lol. Like the little old lady from Pasadena, if
Graywolf, I know. BUT for now I’m going to run 4-5s only and will take it a lot easier I bet, than you would, lol. Like the little old lady from Pasadena, if you remember that song by (I think) Jan and Dean. Like my Scat, kind of. I DO run it hard from time to time, but only briefly and I never race ….

Update: With significant help wrenching from the guys at my LHC (I have arthritic hands), and borrowing brainpower from HERE, and there, I believe I’ve achieved TOTAL VICTORY. Well, except for chronic (so far) loosening of the pinion. And yes, we’ve applied blue — and now RED — loctite to the set screws …. Anyway, it runs very well on 4s, and I’m calling it a win. BTW to me, 4s feels like plenty. You can certainly wheelie her ‘till the cows come home if you want. Thanks again to everyone here for your generous help.

Update: with significant help wrenching from the guys at my LHC (I have arthritic hands), and borrowing brainpower from HERE, and there, I believe I’ve achieved TOTAL VICTORY. Well, except for chronic (so far) loosening if the pinion. And yes, we’ve applied blue loctite …. Anyway, it runs well, calling it a win.
Glad you got it all sorted!

Actually, if you’d be gracious enough to take a look at my new Revo thread, I’d appreciate it. Potential OWB issue? I’m not sure. It never REALLY ends. As always, I value your help!

he could do the one way conversion for free by drilling through first and second gear on this gear set:
View attachment 159005
Drill through the clutch set into both gears and go all of the way through and put a nut and bolt and that will lock it right up. It will also alow you to go in reverse as well.
Yeah but that’s a pain in the rear, tho. It didn’t work out too well for me. That twenty bucks was money well spent.

I never was able to get the thing to work. I’ll be listing it here in the classifieds once my 90 day probation is over. The truck will come with my solemn, ironclad personal guarantee to NOT run until a better man than I can sort out this tranny. I’ll also consider trades, anyway, I’ll be listing it soon.

C4CAABFA-C3E0-4A36-90B4-2CAF4FAEAA63.jpeg

I never was able to get the thing to work. I’ll be listing it here in the classifieds once my 90 day probation is over. The truck will come with my solemn, ironclad personal guarantee to NOT run until a better man than I can sort out this tranny. I’ll also consider trades, anyway, I’ll be listing it soon.

View attachment 163198
I thought you said you got it to work?

But anywho, where did you get that blue plate that uses the top screws of your transmission halves that you mounted your ESC to?

Also, I see you chose a 36T spur gear but what tooth pinion did you use? Also, speaking of your pinion gear set screw coming loose, are you sure the pinion gear you used was the right size for the motor shaft? Brushless conversion or not, I'm having a hard time understanding how it would even take blue locktite to keep that tight.

@Out4lox

Well I guess never mind about that blue aluminum ESC plate you used that was mounted to the top of your transmission. I found out who makes that but unfortunately it’s discontinued so I’m gonna have to make my own. I’d still like to know what pinion gear you decided on.

Back