Tekno Electric Conversion of Revo 3.3/Tranny Issue

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Out4lox

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
The truck’s built. It has a 1/8 scale Turnigy/Hobbywing ESC and motor and the Revo 3.3 tranny has no reverse, mechanical brake or Opti-whatever.

My problem involves a failure of centrifugal clutch engagement. Spinning the Spur Gear does not engage the centrifugal clutch so as to hook up and deliver power to the driveshafts below.

BUT, if you rotate the tranny’s OUTPUT shaft — that hooks up to the truck’s center driveshafts, front and rear, doing THAT locks up the centrifugal clutch quite nicely so as to hook up the Primary Shaft, i.e., the one on top that’s driven by the Spur Gear with the Output shaft, hooked up to the Pinion.

In other words, the tranny’s operating … well … backwards. Does that make sense, is it coherent?

If so, anny ideas? I brought the truck into my bedroom a couple days ago so it’s the first thing I see when I wake up and the last when I go to sleep. I need either to fix this rig or throw the truck into a lake around here. A deep one. Anyhow, since some of you seem to like pictures, I’ve included some. (Not the tranny and I don’t think it would help. You’ll see some upgrades from Traxxas and RPM, btw.). It would make a nice little truck if I can get it to run!

Thanks.

C1EABA1A-6E25-4520-AF15-E4A82071C4AA.jpeg

3A11E8D9-0C7F-462D-BF75-2AC159E915E5.jpeg

31F4A52B-6665-4598-832C-85CC1368B698.jpeg

3C5812B8-BDF5-4494-8231-4CA92D657353.jpeg

A770C09B-6F16-4B21-AA5C-FA5021FE69E4.jpeg

18F6F9D8-EDA2-4DEA-A754-629972689F5B.jpeg

I’m still on double secret probation — old reference — I can’t list stuff here. I’d look into a sell or trade situation if I can’t get it going. Better than lighting it on fire I suppose. I put some good stuff on it honestly I don’t remember what all. Scope out the pics and ask me any questions you might have. Oh, lol, you’ll need to figure out the tranny.

I think I already figured it out lmao. You have to lock the transmission so that it acts as just a one-speed transmission. When you lock it, you will be able to go forwards and backward. You could also swap one of the 3 wires with another one and that will swap the motor rotation.

I think I already figured it out lmao. You have to lock the transmission so that it acts as just a one-speed transmission. When you lock it, you will be able to go forwards and backward. You could also swap one of the 3 wires with another one and that will swap the motor rotation.
Oh—I’d LOVE to lock that clutch right up and throw away the key! But HOW. I’m talking about the little centrifugal clutch ….
Oh—I’d LOVE to lock that clutch right up and throw away the key! But HOW. I’m talking about the little centrifugal clutch ….

Open up the transmission and drill a hole that goes through both first gear and second gear then put a flat head bolt that is a little bit bigger than the hole you drilled then screw the bolt in and it should work. when you do that you can go into reverse as well. Look up a tutorial on youtube.

As Luke said, you need to do a single speed conversion. HERE is a locker listed on eBay. I've not done it to the REVO specifically but anytime you do an E conversion you have to do convert the tranny to single speed or repalce the tranny with a center diff.

I did a google search for revo electric conversion and found several threads out there where others have done it in various ways.

Open up the transmission and drill a hole that goes through both first gear and second gear then put a flat head bolt that is a little bit bigger than the hole you drilled then screw the bolt in and it should work. when you do that you can go into reverse as well. Look up a tutorial on youtube.
I’m going to check it out, but this tranny was already modified/stripped out. I don’t even think it HAS 2 gears anymore. I’ll post some pictures, lol.

FB5990BF-5798-43AD-98DF-B6E4C0743046.jpeg

3123D644-3B39-4809-A01E-544F700FFB0F.jpeg

022FED15-36C9-4A64-9F65-7C03CDC945E0.jpeg

0CE1F7D7-919B-4DEE-9426-6A989BED97E2.jpeg

2F7BFFBB-DC01-485A-A23D-50A44A676BEA.jpeg

A2E53E8B-1BB3-439F-9129-26006BFF08C8.jpeg

49ED818B-F2D6-4728-83E7-7F756F1E5390.jpeg

D0F890C3-4EC6-4AC3-AD0F-9B3174BCBC5B.jpeg

8B06308A-9B0A-4BAC-A380-81D64DDCAE0C.jpeg

97FA996D-4A8D-44F6-B9F9-C9B7C6230CD9.jpeg

I’m going to check it out, but this tranny was already modified/stripped out. I don’t even think it HAS 2 gears anymore. I’ll post some pictures, lol.

View attachment 158741

View attachment 158742

View attachment 158743

View attachment 158744

View attachment 158745

View attachment 158746

View attachment 158747

View attachment 158748

View attachment 158749

View attachment 158750
Yeah, that locker I linked above I believe replaces the clutch inside the bigger metal gear. Id also be looking at replacing those plastic gears too though. Id be willing to bet those wont hold up to 6S power.

From the eBay link
"Looking to convert your nitro transmission for electric use. With the Single-Speed-Locker, you simply take the transmission apart, remove 1st gear and primary clutch and install the Locker. It requires no other modifications (drilling/grinding) to complete. It works with stock (plastic gears) used in the T-Maxx 2.5R / 3.3 (gray transmission case), Nitro Revos and Nitro Slayers. This device will lock the transmission into 2nd gear and will work with transmissions geared with Forward/Reverse, Forward Only and Forward Only with a center differential. Note: This will not work with the T-Maxx Black Transmission Case. It is only for the Gray colored T-Maxx Transmissions."

Yeah, that locker I linked above I believe replaces the clutch inside the bigger metal gear. Id also be looking at replacing those plastic gears too though. Id be willing to bet those wont hold up to 6S power.

From the eBay link
"Looking to convert your nitro transmission for electric use. With the Single-Speed-Locker, you simply take the transmission apart, remove 1st gear and primary clutch and install the Locker. It requires no other modifications (drilling/grinding) to complete. It works with stock (plastic gears) used in the T-Maxx 2.5R / 3.3 (gray transmission case), Nitro Revos and Nitro Slayers. This device will lock the transmission into 2nd gear and will work with transmissions geared with Forward/Reverse, Forward Only and Forward Only with a center differential. Note: This will not work with the T-Maxx Black Transmission Case. It is only for the Gray colored T-Maxx Transmissions."
Whoa! I’m checking it out right now. You might have saved a young life — the Revo’s I mean!

From the eBay link
YES! Every indication seems to point to a solution. So, right now, I feel like a primitive civilization on Star Trek and you’re like an all powerful god who has inadvertently revealed himself. So, thanks. Btw, I think the gear in which the clutch is now nestled IS a Robinson Racing gear. As for adding more Robinson gears — and believe me I hesitate to challenge my superior (you) — don’t you want to create a weak spot, maybe like the 2 nylon gears in the sitting in the tranny right now? Anyway, I have to get busy building a shrine to you
image.jpg
image.jpg
next to my Revo.
Steven

YES! Every indication seems to point to a solution. So, right now, I feel like a primitive civilization on Star Trek and you’re like an all powerful god who has inadvertently revealed himself. So, thanks.
Man, you love RCs, Mopars, and Star Trek... I'm pretty sure we were brothers in a former life lol

Btw, I think the gear in which the clutch is now nestled IS a Robinson Racing gear.
Did you see the blurb on the eBay link about if you have a robinson racing gears? I'm assuming you did since you mention it but just in case...

"Robinson Racing Metal Gears: This locker will need some modification to fit inside the RR metal gear. However we do have the lockers specially machined for Robinson gears. If this is what your needing please message us first before you purchase. Let us know what you have and we will be happy to send a locker that is a direct fit."

As for adding more Robinson gears, don’t you want to create a weak spot, maybe like the 2 nylon gears in the sitting in the tranny right now?
You do want a weak spot but Ideally it should be the spur gear since you dont want to tear the tranny apart if one was to strip/break. If it were me Id go all metal internals and a plastic spur.

Man, you love RCs, Mopars, and Star Trek... I'm pretty sure we were brothers in a former life lol

Did you see the blurb on the eBay link about if you have a robinson racing gears? I'm assuming you did since you mention it but just in case...

"Robinson Racing Metal Gears: This locker will need some modification to fit inside the RR metal gear. However we do have the lockers specially machined for Robinson gears. If this is what your needing please message us first before you purchase. Let us know what you have and we will be happy to send a locker that is a direct fit."

You do want a weak spot but Ideally it should be the spur gear since you dont want to tear the tranny apart if one was to strip/break. If it were me Id go all metal internals and a plastic spur.
First, thanks again! Second, yes I already messaged the vendor about the Robinson racing gear in the tranny/modifying the locker. Third, as for the weak spot in the drivetrain, I’m guessing I can loosen the slipper clutch a bit? Maybe that’ll take care of it? Or would you invest in more hardened gears from Robinson? That seems so. I think there are only two remaining in the tranny that are plastic/nylon. Finally, as for the Dodges, and ALL the other stuff, well, we seem both to be blessed with extraordinarily good taste.

First, thanks again! Second, yes I already messaged the vendor about the Robinson racing gear in the tranny/modifying the locker. Third, as for the weak spot in the drivetrain, I’m guessing I can loosen the slipper clutch a bit? Maybe that’ll take care of it? Or would you invest in more hardened gears from Robinson? That seems so. I think there are only two remaining in the tranny that are plastic/nylon. Finally, as for the Dodges, and ALL the other stuff, well, we seem both to be blessed with extraordinarily good taste.
Yeah, that is what a slipper is for. The weak point in the drivetrain.

Personally, Id run metal internals, plastic spur, and I almost always run my slipper about 3/4 of a turn from fully tightened but thats just me. You can try it with the plastic internals and see what happens and then adjust from there.

he could do the one way conversion for free by drilling through first and second gear on this gear set:
Screenshot 2023-01-23 12.47.11 PM.png

Drill through the clutch set into both gears and go all of the way through and put a nut and bolt and that will lock it right up. It will also alow you to go in reverse as well.

he could do the one way conversion for free by drilling through first and second gear on this gear set:
View attachment 159005
Drill through the clutch set into both gears and go all of the way through and put a nut and bolt and that will lock it right up. It will also alow you to go in reverse as well.
You could but the locker is less than $20 🤷‍♂️

Personally, Id run metal internals, plastic spur, and I almost always run my slipper about 3/4 of a turn from Integy fully tightened but thats just me. You can try it with the plastic internals and see what happens and then adjust from there.
I have a bad habit of buying pretty spur gears from Integy. I get an automatic discount on their website. Lol, maybe everybody does. And yeah, I know how hated they are (were?) on the internet. Anyway I think I have the stock Revo spur gear … somewhere. I could install it if I can find it. C
View attachment 159005
View attachment 159005
Luke, if it comes to it, I will drill and bolt. (Actually my drill’s dead so I’m down to my Dremel and electric screwdriver but I need to replace it anyway.) I’m a bit clumsy with bad arthritis in my hands, so I’d prefer to just pop in a part. I do appreciate your kind help. Thanks.

I have a bad habit of buying pretty spur gears from Integy. I get an automatic discount on their website. Lol, maybe everybody does. And yeah, I know how hated they are (were?) on the internet.
Not everything Integy makes is crap. just their aluminum hop ups because they dont use hardened aluminum. Their steel parts may be fine and I've used their shocks which I liked. 🤷‍♂️

Back