Tekin or Castle

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buggybuster

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Might be wrong but from research I'm seeing these are the two most popular brands. Trying to figure out from Experience whats the yays and nays between these two systems. Just getting into to electric scene wit my 1/8 scale buggies so I'm looking to order me a good combo this weekend for a mugen roller I have on the way. I plan on strictly using it for the track if it matters. With so many choices from what I'm seeing so far the exact system I need would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for any help.

For pure racing, go Tekin. If you're a basher like me, Castle is okay.

I think the Mamba Monster 2 with NC1512-2650kV motor Part # 010-0108-02 on a 4s lipo would be the ticket, it's also water proof. The Neu-Castle 1512 1Y 2650kv motor is great for 4s buggies.

Mamba-Monster-2-ESC-600.jpg

Its strictly for the track club action and just daily laps. So probably gone have to spend about 350 to get the quality stuff huh?

I've ran both, only 1 system of each, but this is what I noticed. Tekin handles loads better IMO the RX8 is a great esc, and the T8 Line of motors stay very cool. I also like the hotwire app from tekin better than the castle link. The one thing I don't like about tekin is their 90 day warranty. I have had a tekin fail on me but it was after hitting a large curb at about 50mph with my lst2, and it broke almost all my plastic parts in the front end, and tore my aluminum motor mount from TD-racing.

it also depends on what you are racing. If you are doing blinky, theres a ton of escs you can use with little to no issue on buggys, and STs. But if you are running 1/8th I would say tekin all the way. I have the T8 1550KV truggy motor, and was running it with a 34T pinion and a 64T spur, and I barely would hit the 130 deg F mark, after a full pack.

Most people here locally run LRP ESCs for blinky, and some even for mod. But My next 1/10th scale esc and motor combo will be a tekin RS pro esc with a Reedy Sonic motor. The Reedy Sonic motors can take some insane amounts of timing, and still stay relatively cool.

(I just noticed you said its for a 1/8th scale mugen. Get the tekin you won't be dissapointed. When racing, the dual mode that the tekin escs have really come in handy. Smooth acceleration, and great torque and speed.)

Last edited:
Any specific setup? Forgot to mention my practice track is small and tight the track I'll be running itzalot more wide bigger but I dont think its a wot situation due to its technicalities?

Last edited:
I've ran both, only 1 system of each, but this is what I noticed. Tekin handles loads better IMO the RX8 is a great esc, and the T8 Line of motors stay very cool. I also like the hotwire app from tekin better than the castle link. The one thing I don't like about tekin is their 90 day warranty. I have had a tekin fail on me but it was after hitting a large curb at about 50mph with my lst2, and it broke almost all my plastic parts in the front end, and tore my aluminum motor mount from TD-racing.

it also depends on what you are racing. If you are doing blinky, theres a ton of escs you can use with little to no issue on buggys, and STs. But if you are running 1/8th I would say tekin all the way. I have the T8 1550KV truggy motor, and was running it with a 34T pinion and a 64T spur, and I barely would hit the 130 deg F mark, after a full pack.

Most people here locally run LRP ESCs for blinky, and some even for mod. But My next 1/10th scale esc and motor combo will be a tekin RS pro esc with a Reedy Sonic motor. The Reedy Sonic motors can take some insane amounts of timing, and still stay relatively cool.

(I just noticed you said its for a 1/8th scale mugen. Get the tekin you won't be dissapointed. When racing, the dual mode that the tekin escs have really come in handy. Smooth acceleration, and great torque and speed.)

tekin actually has a 120 day warranty and i have sent things in way out of date on the warranty and they have replaced them, the customer service from Tekin is GREAT......tekin would be my choice as well.

tekin actually has a 120 day warranty and i have sent things in way out of date on the warranty and they have replaced them, the customer service from Tekin is GREAT......tekin would be my choice as well.

sorry was going by memory thought it was 90.

Well fellows jumping into this electric spare of the moment wit two roller rigs and no equipment I found out fairly quick its EXSPENSIVE compared to my nitro setups. Decided to budget a lil and ordered the monster mamba 2 2650kv setup. After a couple lipos, charger and actually 3 rollers one nitro 2 electric I had to cut a corner. I did manage to off one of my savages 2 tmaxxs and a couple stock engines to help out a lil, lol. Now its just sit and wait for shipments and hope for the best which for me waiting is the hard part. Thanks guys.

I was wondering the same thing as BuggyBuster but I want to put them in my SC10.

I don't pay close attention to guys 1/8 scale electric setups (I'm more a nitro guy), However I have seen two electric fires. Both of them were Tekin systems. The go to brand at my track is Novak for 1/8 scale ESCs. just my $.02

Personally, i would rather have a Rolex powered machine as run novak, they overheat very easily and arent very reliable, i havent seen any fires from tekin stuff, i have seen them go out though.....to each his own, i have always ran tekin, or dualsky......

Is there an ideal temp range on these electric like the nitro. Been having so much fun with the plug and play I've neglected keeping check and tryn to protect the system I have.

i try to keep my motors well below 150, different motors will deal with different heat BUT 150 is the highest i will let any of mine get.

Ordered this system from lhs which used great plains, got a dud great plains is taking it back also adviced owner of shop that castle has problem after problem of late and probably be better off choosing something else, what u guys think about that?

I'm a lil confused here I ended up getting the tekin rx8 gen2 2650 t8 combo. The problem is to me my cheaper hobbywing 2700 kv and hobby esc setup on a different buggy is alot stronger than the tekin setup, I do understand that the sensored tekin system is suppose to be smoother but should it being sensored make it feel that much weaker than the hobbywing setup or is the setup on the tekin just off right now. Seems like I could make any double or triple wit the hobbywing setup but the tekin seems to just not have that pop I like. Any suggestions?

Hobbywing products are faster, but, hobbywing WILL NOT LAST, you get what you pay for, hobbywing systems will not handle any sort of heat, if they overheat one time they are done, i have ran tekin systems almost my entire race career with limited problems, play with the setup on your tekin system get all your paramaters set and you will be happier with it, take a laptop to the track with you and mess with your settings. If your running a 2650 check your gearing, it could be geared too high for that kv, i always ran a 1900kv on 4s and had to turn my punch control WAY DOWN to even keep the buggy on the track, i think with a bit of tuning you will be happier with the tekin.

What up Maxx, basically exactly what we just explained to Jose in the buggy tread this morning huh get what you pay for. I running a 17cb stock spur on the Mugen mbx5 just finish running it make my small double but had to hold a perfect line to make it, I'm going to lhs tomorrow still not very comfortable making the adjustments right now. I do see and feel the smoothness of the tekin though but want it to run a lil more on the edge. Probably should time some laps the tekin might have better lap times just not sure. Darn if it aint a great trill seeing the hobbywing launch my xray the distance of my straights though, lol.

Back