Team Losi Strike Short Couse Truck

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if they made a micro id be running to the hobby shop

The desert truck and the strike don't look too different, aside from the slight increase in length. Think one could slap a short course truck body on a desert truck frame?

iam buying one as soon as i can get one if i dont like it sell it on ebay ....missing the 2.4 rec...tee hee:p

I can get my hands on one really cheap, I'am thinking of getting one to go with my slash.

I can't wait for some personal reviews.

The Strike was recently released here in Australia and i thought i would share my observations after owning one for a month.
*The body-belongs in a Kindergarden sandbox with the other toys-Replaced it with a Proline Hardcore one-you need to extend the rear body posts.
* Motor and esc-the motor is identical to the Slash except for the Losi sticker-esc is useful being lipo friendly.Replaced mine with an EZrun 60 amp esc and 3000kv brushless combo.
*Wheels and tires-prefer black wheels-tires not too good on grass.
*Mid mounted motor-does not seem to make much difference to handling.
*Alloy shocks-nice touch-check the shock caps and tighten them if required.
*Easier to drive than my B/L Slash and not quite as good as my B/L SC10.
All Short Course tucks are fun and challenging-the Slash is the most fun,the SC10 the best racer and the Strike is in the middle-now i drive everyday!I give the Strike 7/10

Good to hear peoples thoughts.
Do you have any pics with that proline body on?

The Strike is Innovative stc... my observations after owning one for a month.
*The body-Its wide ...so i looks alittle funny at first ....then you get over it .....not thin...200mm likeness....Proline Hardcore or j concepts should come out with one soon.
* Motor and esc-the motor is ok out the box it sounds weird like its dragging a brush.....i replaced it with a reedy 17t and it flys now esc is useful being lipo friendly.iam not ready to replaced stock set up with brushless yet have too much fun with running in stock SCT races
*Wheels and tires-are not that good at all i try dill bigger holes to gain more traction ...didnt work tried different tire combos and found out the rpm 2.2 rims on the back stock wheels up front hook up good make the back alittle lower
*Mid mounted motor-does make much difference to handling....never traction roll again....so run in to a corner as fast as you can it will hook i love it was a big selling point for me...there's a kit like this for a b4 and they want 180 for just the conversion kit ...
*Alloy shocks-look good like turn down adjustments little cheepy they good though.
*RTR Controller I try it didnt like so put it in my drift car didnt like it its good for a spare controller for a friend to race you or the back yard NO good for real racing...
*Easy to drive not quite as good as my slash's.....over all it need some more driving time i find something new about all the time when i first got it ever one at the track was scared of it like say that not ROAR legal ...mainly sc10 guys
All Short Course tucks are fun and challenging-the Slash is and will always be number one the SC10 is a b4 with SC body on it and the Strike is still a big contender I give the Strike 9/10

Good to hear peoples thoughts.
Do you have any pics with that proline body on?
There are no photos of the Strike with the Hardcore body as the truck has ceased to exist!-completely destroyed diff-rear right dogbone and diff cup fell out-snapped turnbuckles.A friend of mine has had similar issues with his Strike and we are both experienced drivers and wrenchers.It is very disappointing to put your faith(and dollars)into a product which just can't cut it on the track or doing a bit of bashing-at least the Losi tires are ok!-I will be very careful before buying another Losi product from now on.

I had a BIN losi that I had traded for something and someone @ our track now has it and they used it for a whole day before the front shock broke and a front turnbuckle. and he was beating the crap out of it..and he was still running the stock motor/esc combo with a turnigy 5000mah lipo..

the Strike as a truck UPDATE-damaged rear axles cups, dog bone and diff cup....i never ran a brushless motor ....only a 17t from a sc10.and the stock motor..cheap production ...i called horizon they where very understanding and sent all the parts i requested...no question ask...100% free... 2 day later they where at my door..right front turnbuckles snap off replaced with traxxas slash turnbuckles ....this other guy at my local track has had same issues with his Strike maybe you have heard of him... Keith Whisler.....and i quote (iam disappointing in the truck) he was installing a ball diff..as i was talking to him at the track...as far as.... can't cut it on the track ....if you can drive good... guess what your going to win... but it help if the truck is dialed .... Losi stock tires...suck there loose and no side bite....the shock are very good it just suck up the whoops like there not even there..note no other truck can do that...never traction roll ...which happens to all.. the others 3 sct...due to its wider track ...not roar legal so i heard..the lipo cut off work perfect ...servo good rtr the 2.4 radio is not for me ...i tried it in different cars ....its only good for bashing...i bind it to my ...ds3R.....it not like the slash ready to go out of the box as far as set up....i own all sct and the only truck that is dialed out of the is slash...the blitz next then strike...sc10 is a tweak feast ans needs to be driven carefully....over all i still like the losi strike iam going to keep running it see what else comes up will keep you updated...:eek:

There are no photos of the Strike with the Hardcore body as the truck has ceased to exist!-completely destroyed diff-rear right dogbone and diff cup fell out-snapped turnbuckles.A friend of mine has had similar issues with his Strike and we are both experienced drivers and wrenchers.It is very disappointing to put your faith(and dollars)into a product which just can't cut it on the track or doing a bit of bashing-at least the Losi tires are ok!-I will be very careful before buying another Losi product from now on.

That sucks you guys had bad luck with it so far.
Sounds overall like half the people are fine with the strike and say its ok.
And the other half hate it!
I would still like to see one at the track.
as for me personaly buying it its last on my list.

hmmm....
yeah, just held one yesterday at my LHS, and all I've gotta say from that is I'm not impressed.
Haven't driven one though so can't give a full opinion. Glad I didn't buy one right now though.
Sounds like a few of you are having some rough luck with it, ouch!

hmmm....
yeah, just held one yesterday at my LHS, and all I've gotta say from that is I'm not impressed.
Haven't driven one though so can't give a full opinion. Glad I didn't buy one right now though.
Sounds like a few of you are having some rough luck with it, ouch!
It is really a shame that Losi(Horizon)didn't do a bit more research before releasing the Strike-it does have some good points-
* handling is nearly as good as the SC10.
* shocks are pretty good.
* tires are good on a variety of surfaces-short grass,dirt and gravel.
* 2.4ghz radio system is a plus.
Unfortunately,these factors alone don't add up to enough reasons to buy one even though I did! You would think that Losi would have learnt from Traxxas & AE's short course trucks to come out with something MORE reliable.My Slash has been driven really hard over the past 3 months without breaking anything.My 2 SC10's are run regularly without any issues and I am looking forward to giving the new Blitz a workout when I can get hold of the new Mamba Max 4600 kv combo to put in it.

Losi Strike Update

It is really a shame that Losi(Horizon)didn't do a bit more research before releasing the Strike-it does have some good points-
* handling is nearly as good as the SC10.
* shocks are pretty good.
* tires are good on a variety of surfaces-short grass,dirt and gravel.
* 2.4ghz radio system is a plus.
Unfortunately,these factors alone don't add up to enough reasons to buy one even though I did! You would think that Losi would have learnt from Traxxas & AE's short course trucks to come out with something MORE reliable.My Slash has been driven really hard over the past 3 months without breaking anything.My 2 SC10's are run regularly without any issues and I am looking forward to giving the new Blitz a workout when I can get hold of the new Mamba Max 4600 kv combo to put in it.

I agree! The Losi Strike is in need of some serious R&D. I too purchased the Strike, but it simply is not even close (fit and finish) to my Slash, SC10, or SC8. It seems like a great truck in a parking lot at your LHS, until you actually get it on a track or off-road. Here is a staus report after only 15 minutes at the local track:

1) Dogbones bent like pretzels
2) Outdrives cupped
3) Body rubbing at all four corners
4) 7C battery will not fit without use of a Dremel
5) VERY little rear traction
6) Radio lost bind with truck twice
7) Reverse will not work, although the ESC tries it hardly moves

I keep my stuff so clean you could eat off of it, so this was not the result of bashing and abuse. Some set-up could cure the poor handling, but the truck has been sitting in my office while I wait for warranty parts from Losi / Horizon. The Losi Strike is simply not ready for prime time. With the introduction of new SCT's from Traxxas, OFNA, and HPI, this truck will get left in the dust quite quickly in 2010'. If you need more information on this vehicle from current owners, just jump on the Losi Homepage and read the Strike Forum = :mad: I would recommend that you park your dollars elsewhere folks until Losi has completed the R&D on this vehicle - or heads back to the drawing board in 2010'.

I agree! The Losi Strike is in need of some serious R&D. I too purchased the Strike, but it simply is not even close (fit and finish) to my Slash, SC10, or SC8. It seems like a great truck in a parking lot at your LHS, until you actually get it on a track or off-road. Here is a staus report after only 15 minutes at the local track:

1) Dogbones bent like pretzels
2) Outdrives cupped
3) Body rubbing at all four corners
4) 7C battery will not fit without use of a Dremel
5) VERY little rear traction
6) Radio lost bind with truck twice
7) Reverse will not work, although the ESC tries it hardly moves

I keep my stuff so clean you could eat off of it, so this was not the result of bashing and abuse. Some set-up could cure the poor handling, but the truck has been sitting in my office while I wait for warranty parts from Losi / Horizon. The Losi Strike is simply not ready for prime time. With the introduction of new SCT's from Traxxas, OFNA, and HPI, this truck will get left in the dust quite quickly in 2010'. If you need more information on this vehicle from current owners, just jump on the Losi Homepage and read the Strike Forum = :mad: I would recommend that you park your dollars elsewhere folks until Losi has completed the R&D on this vehicle - or heads back to the drawing board in 2010'.
I am glad it is not just me!-it is good to share other people's experiences with the Strike and the problems that have occurred.I would have more respect for Losi if they admitted they made a mistake and did something POSITIVE to fix it.Now it is close to Christmas and the choices that are available in short course trucks in LHS's(here in Australia we can buy the Slash,the SC10 and the Blitz as well as the Strike)I bet I know which one will be left on the shelf!The short course truck is the fastest growing section of the r/c market and I am sure Losi are regretting their actions now.Why don't they do what they do in the real car market-recall the Strike-fix the problems and keep the consumers happy?

I am glad it is not just me!-it is good to share other people's experiences with the Strike and the problems that have occurred.I would have more respect for Losi if they admitted they made a mistake and did something POSITIVE to fix it.Now it is close to Christmas and the choices that are available in short course trucks in LHS's(here in Australia we can buy the Slash,the SC10 and the Blitz as well as the Strike)I bet I know which one will be left on the shelf!The short course truck is the fastest growing section of the r/c market and I am sure Losi are regretting their actions now.Why don't they do what they do in the real car market-recall the Strike-fix the problems and keep the consumers happy?

nah, Losi will probably just offer a free lipo battery or some other gimmick just to push sales more around the holidays. And I'm sure many unknowing people will go for it.

STRIKE expireance

I'm currently deployed with Army to FOB Fenty, Jahalabad, Afghanstan. Got 6 other soldiers into SC racing. We race on concrete, on a L-shaped course with traffic cones, with a lap counter. 2 SC10, 1 Biltz, 3 Slashes and my Strike. I've been a LOSI fan for a awhile. I own a Strike, 2 1/18 LOSI Mini Rock Crawlers, a T-maxx, TREX450 heli, CX2 Blade co-heli, a Park zone plane and 2 ZIP ZAPs boats. So I have some RC experience. Started with a XX buggy in late 90's, racing with Brian Dunbar in Louiville Ky.
My Strike has a a LOSI 17.5 T Xcelorin brushless, CV drives, ball diff, and Spectrum DX3 radio. I've broken 2 front camber links, top and bottom shock mounts(same shock, not towers) , and the bolt for ball diff, pin in gear diff out drives. Out drives are cupped prematurely. Not impressed with quality of parts. Probally could have call Horizon support and gotten free replacements, but hard and very expensive from Afhganistan. The other SC trucks I race with have broken a their fare share of parts too. Sucks waiting 2 weeks on mail for replacement parts from States.
Mostly from collisions with other newbie drivers, sometime from swapping paint during race.
Overall the Srike holds it own with other SC. Corners and accelerates well. Jumps nose heavy with NIHM pack in middle postion. Love the Xcelorin speed control software and DX3 radio.
Not 100% sure if I'd buy another Strike for 15 yr old son, when I return to race together!?!??!!?

I'm currently deployed with Army to FOB Fenty, Jahalabad, Afghanstan. Got 6 other soldiers into SC racing. We race on concrete, on a L-shaped course with traffic cones, with a lap counter. 2 SC10, 1 Biltz, 3 Slashes and my Strike. I've been a LOSI fan for a awhile. I own a Strike, 2 1/18 LOSI Mini Rock Crawlers, a T-maxx, TREX450 heli, CX2 Blade co-heli, a Park zone plane and 2 ZIP ZAPs boats. So I have some RC experience. Started with a XX buggy in late 90's, racing with Brian Dunbar in Louiville Ky.
My Strike has a a LOSI 17.5 T Xcelorin brushless, CV drives, ball diff, and Spectrum DX3 radio. I've broken 2 front camber links, top and bottom shock mounts(same shock, not towers) , and the bolt for ball diff, pin in gear diff out drives. Out drives are cupped prematurely. Not impressed with quality of parts. Probally could have call Horizon support and gotten free replacements, but hard and very expensive from Afhganistan. The other SC trucks I race with have broken a their fare share of parts too. Sucks waiting 2 weeks on mail for replacement parts from States.
Mostly from collisions with other newbie drivers, sometime from swapping paint during race.
Overall the Srike holds it own with other SC. Corners and accelerates well. Jumps nose heavy with NIHM pack in middle postion. Love the Xcelorin speed control software and DX3 radio.
Not 100% sure if I'd buy another Strike for 15 yr old son, when I return to race together!?!??!!?

Get your son a Traxxas Slash when you return. We have two of them, and they are totally bulletproof. Traxxas puts HUGE engineering dollars along with R&D into their products - and it shows. Your son could race, bash, mud, or even drive it into a lake and it will come back for more. There is no other SCT RC on the market that performs better in ALL conditions for the price.

BTW - Losi finally "sent" me replacement dogbones (one of my problems) for the dead Strike - but the box was empty! They actually took the time to pack and ship an empty box. Truth be told, the box was full of packing paper, so I guess that they sent me something. The crazy part is that an empty box was shipped from the USA and had to clear customs into Canada = wild. I could go to the LHS and buy the parts myself, but I refuse to put one more dime into this thing when it has only been used for 15 minutes. It will be the first thing that gets sold by us in the Spring, and you can likely guess how may Losi products will be purchased by this family in the future...

iam buying one as soon as i can get one if i dont like it sell it on ebay ....missing the 2.4 rec...tee hee:p

ok yea iam sick of it i try to make it work but no go ebay it goes ...missing the 2.4 receiver..2.4 controler suck...:mad:

Back