Tamiya Terra Crusher not starting..

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jam2008

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Okay I bought my Tamiya Terra Crusher a few years back..it was running fine..i had to move with my mom and i left my rc behind at my dads..
so i just moved back in with my dads and i charged my starter and tried to start it and it will not start

it just turns and turns and turns..but does not start..

any sugestions?

If it's been sitting for a while, you need to give it a through once-over. Check to make sure the tx and rx batteries are ok. Check to make sure your glow igniter is charged or has a fresh battery. Pull the glow plug and make sure it's glowing bright. Make sure you're using fresh fuel. Check the fuel lines to make sure it's flowing. You may also want to pull the engine and clean the crankcase and carb to make sure there's nothing gumming up the works. Check the air filter to make sure it's clean and air can get through. Then check your carb adjustments. Reset them to factory settings and start from there. Make sure your throttle gap is set around 1mm. And make sure you still have compression. When you turn the engine over by hand, it still should have a good pop at top dead center.
At least that will give you a few things to hopefully get it started.

***moved to appropriate forum***

1. New glo-plug.
2. Is everything charged.
3. Are the fule lines clear.
4. Is there gunk in the fule tank from old fule.
5. Did you use after run oil in the mill after the last time you used it. If not it might be rusty inside.

These are just a few starting points to check. Sound almost like your not geting fule to the carb. Did you prime the engine. Well hope this helps.

Bryson

yeah i took pretty much everything apart yesterday and cleaned out all the gunk..i bought new fuel lines at a rc airplane shop and i got new gas..

if i remember right i did use teh after run oil i have..it was sitting right next to my car when i picked it up

everything is charged..

and yes i primed it

and how do i check to see if the glow plug is good?

Take the plug out of the engine and just push it in to your igniter. be careful though. If it works it gets really hot!

i dont have a glo igniter

but the guy at the rc ariplane shop does and i am gona go by there today and see if he can test it for me..i might buy a new one anyway to replace it

Last edited:
i dont have a glo igniter

but the guy at the rc ariplane shop does and i am gona go by there today and see if he can test it for me..i might buy a new one anyway to replace it

You need a glow igniter, the engine won't start with out it. Pick up an extra plug while your there.

okay meaby I'm confused as to what a glo igniter is...

meaby you could tell me?

Okay..i went by the local rc airplane shop today and had him test my glo plug..it lit up but it was very bright so i went ahead and bought a new one and he tested that one and it lit up ALOT more..

i have never used or needed a glo igniter to start my car..

okay anyway..i got the new glo plug put it in and the car still does the same thing..

a guy that came in the shop while i was there said that something in the starter might have some stuff in it and was slipping when i tried to start it..

because the engine doesn't want to turn over at all..

so..any other suggestions?

:EDIT:
Okay i took the carb,muffler, engine and engine starter..there is no gunk in them..i put it all back on and still the same thing..

one thing i watched the guy at the rc airplane shop do was take out the glo plug and connect the wire to the top of it that goes to where i plug my wand into and he put it aginst some metal and pressed the button to start it..and there was no glow in the plug..any ideas why? shouldnt it glow?

it glows when you put the glo igniter on it

Last edited:
you sure there is gas getting into the engine? the carburator doesn't have anything in it or its not closed up altogether?

okay..i finally got the engine to turn over.. all i had to do was turn my wand the other way -.-

i fell stupid..anyway..

when i take my glo plug out and connect the cord to the top of it..and then when i touch it to something metal and try to start the car there is no glo in the plug..but when i was at the airplane shop the guy put a glo igniter on it and it glowed fine..so I'm gona try to go by there today and buy an igniter

ty everyone for yalls yelp :)

here are some pics i took of my clip i connect to my glo plug..any ideas why it dosnt make my glo plug glow?

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q189/randomherowins/P1010009.jpg
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q189/randomherowins/P1010011.jpg
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q189/randomherowins/P1010013.jpg
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q189/randomherowins/P1010014.jpg

Last edited:
anyone have any ideas why the cord that i connect to my glo plug dosnt make my glo plug glow?

Idk but for 15 bucks id just get a egnightor and cut the wire. Its easy and will solve all your problems.

Bryson

yeah..thats what i was going to do..but i can't afford it till saturday -.-

so i was hopeing there was some way to fix it without haveing to buy the igniter

Okay..i bought a hobico glo starter for about 20$..let it charge for 12+ hours..then the next day i hooked it to my glo plug tried to start it..and i am still haveing problems..i dont think my gas is getting to the piston? it tries and tries to start..but it just wont fire..

i think that the metal gasket under my head has a dent in it or something..because when i try to start it i can see gas spiting out from under the head..and this can not be good -.-

my car comes with a fs-18 engine..where could i find this gasket to replace it? and what other engines could i replace it with on my car as an upgrade..because i am looking for a new engine possibly

Back