In the market for a new RC car - Tamiya TT02 Subaru Impreza Monte Carlo, or XV-01 Lancia Delta?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fotomatt1

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
So I'm in the market for a new RC car to build. I've always enjoyed building Tamiya kits over other brands. Not looking to race, but just something fun for me to build and mod over time. I've been going back and forth between the TT02 Subaru and the XV-01 Lancia. The body isn't the important part....ultimately, whichever one I choose will likely wind up with a Subaru Forester XT body to match my full scale one.

I was about to pull the trigger on the XV-01 and started reading that there's not very many Lipo battery options. Is this the case, or are there Lipos that fit? Is it worth the difference in price between the XV-01 and TT02? The TT02 is pretty inexpensive right now, but if the XV-01 performs that much better, maybe it's worth it? I like the fact that it's belt drive.

There seem to be a lot more hop-up parts for the TT02, yet I keep coming back to the XV01 when I read that it's the better handling of the two.

Any help and opinions are appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!

Welcome to the site. I'd reccome d a kyosho fazer over Tamiya. I was looking into it but found out a dump truck on ice with flat tires tracks better than it

Kyosho fazer with subbie body
https://www.amainhobbies.com/kyosho...N4xghRIPUiOnioltxJo7Ei57DIcGaHM4aAucrEALw_wcB

Both below cover it and how to start fixing it.

https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/hi-rc-peepz-I'm-an-addict-to-the-rc-world.132556/#post-1311918

https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/new-to-the-forum-not-necessarily-rc.140750/#post-1415511

Based on these I would choose xv01 without ever seeing it.

The TT02 is extremely dated and lacks the bare essentials for what I feel are necessary to group any RC into "Hobby Grade" where the TT02 lacks sealed diffs and fluid filled shocks... therefore I personally lump the TT02 into the "Toy Grade" category.

The XV01 is decades ahead in design with proper fluid sealed diffs/shocks as well as adjustable turnbuckles and far more tuning options to include a sealed drivetrain making it more suitable for moderate off-road Rally terrain.

Limiting to these 2 options, it's a no brainer to go with the XV01.

That said there are many other brands out there that will blow away the XV01 and you can get them for less money too! I digress, you seem to have your heart set on Tamiya... best of luck on your decision!

The TT02 is extremely dated and lacks the bare essentials for what I feel are necessary to group any RC into "Hobby Grade" where the TT02 lacks sealed diffs and fluid filled shocks... therefore I personally lump the TT02 into the "Toy Grade" category.

The XV01 is decades ahead in design with proper fluid sealed diffs/shocks as well as adjustable turnbuckles and far more tuning options to include a sealed drivetrain making it more suitable for moderate off-road Rally terrain.

Limiting to these 2 options, it's a no brainer to go with the XV01.

That said there are many other brands out there that will blow away the XV01 and you can get them for less money too! I digress, you seem to have your heart set on Tamiya... best of luck on your decision!
What else would you recommend in this category? I'm open to suggestions.

The Tamiya cars have one good thing going for them. They make nice looking bodies, with great decals and scale bits added on. Their chassis leave a lot to be desired as functional RC cars. They are more for the collector, which is why they sell the TT02, for example, with a slew of different bodies and configurations. As Bill said, they are toy grade RC cars at best.

I would go with a Fazer or the Team Associated Apex2 A550 Rally Sport.
https://www.amainhobbies.com/team-a...1-10-electric-4wd-rally-car-asc30126/p1460416

Neither of the above have much room for adjustment, similar to the TT02, but you're not looking to race it, so who cares. Both will drive much better than a TT02.

Last edited:
What else would you recommend in this category? I'm open to suggestions.

For the 1/10 TC (Touring Car) category, the best "bang for buck" goes to the 3Racing lineup. They have a wide range of low budget "sport" versions which don't include any upgrades, which are mostly cheap plastic parts similar in quality to what you get from Tamiya but offer modern geometry and ability to upgrade key parts later if you discover any weak areas depending on how hard you are on the car. If you're a clean driver then chances are the sport edition may not need any upgrades.

It's been many years since I built a 3Racing kit so they no longer offer the one I built, but if I were get one for myself today this is what I would consider:
https://3racing.shop/collections/cero-sport/products/kit-cero-sport-55-structure-combo-set

1705857688329.png

If you're the type of person that knows they want all the upgrades, then it would be less expensive to buy the "Ultra" edition than if you bought the upgrades separately:
https://3racing.shop/collections/ce...o-ultra-touring-car-aluminium-chassis-edition

1705857844786.png

Any brand of 190mm body will fit with standard 0mm offset wheels
If you want to install a 200mm body then you need to get +5mm offset wheels.

Here's a couple places to check out body options:
https://deltaplastikusa.com/collections/1-10th-rc-bodies

One of my favorite bodies that I raced with in the GT class was the Enzo, I had to contact the seller so he could special order it for me:
1705858162181.png

If you want some more affordable options then check out RC Car Kings where I one raced with the Nova:
https://rccarkings.net/bodies.htm

1705858323688.png

I currently own an XV01, and have owned several "pimped out" TT02s courtesy of the used market. I've had better luck getting a $15 cat toy to track straight (let alone a Grasshopper, WPL, Nikko, etc). I can't tell you how many holes I've stripped or rounded out on my TT02s too, despite being very careful.

I would strongly suggest a Kyosho Fazer rally car over any Tamiya. By the time you have bearings, oil filled shocks, paint...you're close to a RTR Fazer which has all of that.

If you're stuck on Tamiya kits, grab an XV01 from PlazaJapan and save a good $100 over the frankly insane asking price here in the States. But even then, it's more of a "novel" chassis that's needlessly complex in some areas.

Or you can buy mine, you can always get "the build" by taking it apart and re-assembling it. Whatever you do, please don't buy anything with that uses bushings, you deserve better.

Last edited:
if u want something bigger, the Traxxas Rally BL-2s might fit your bill nicely. not race-able, but sorta fast and 4wd. XHD kit is here, so durability wont be a problem.
if u want something bigger, the Traxxas Rally BL-2s might fit your bill nicely. not race-able, but sorta fast and 4wd. XHD kit is here, so durability wont be a problem.

Last edited:
I’d much prefer a kit to RTR. A big part of the enjoyment for me is building a kit.
I currently own an XV01, and have owned several "pimped out" TT02s courtesy of the used market. I've had better luck getting a $15 cat toy to track straight (let alone a Grasshopper, WPL, Nikko, etc). I can't tell you how many holes I've stripped or rounded out on my TT02s too, despite being very careful.

I would strongly suggest a Kyosho Fazer rally car over any Tamiya. By the time you have bearings, oil filled shocks, paint...you're close to a RTR Fazer which has all of that.

If you're stuck on Tamiya kits, grab an XV01 from PlazaJapan and save a good $100 over the frankly insane asking price here in the States. But even then, it's more of a "novel" chassis that's needlessly complex in some areas.

Or you can buy mine, you can always get "the build" by taking it apart and re-assembling it. Whatever you do, please don't buy anything with that uses bushings, you deserve better.
Thank you for the advice. I agree with you on the bearings. I’d order them at the same time, but if they’re that delicate I agree with steering clear. I’d just prefer a kit to an RTR. I have a transmitter…I’d just need a receiver, servo, etc. I wish there were some better rally car kits!!

I didn’t know about Plaza Japan. Way cheaper than RC Mart. How long does it take to ship to the US? At that price I close get an XV01 to satisfy my urge to build something as well as a Fazer. lol

I didn’t know about Plaza Japan. Way cheaper than RC Mart. How long does it take to ship to the US? At that price I close get an XV01 to satisfy my urge to build something as well as a Fazer. lol
I'm not sure how long, but it's worth the wait if you end up saving $100. Hop ups are significantly cheaper there too if you go that route. The XV01 has bearings, shocks, and will offer a more involved build than a TT02.

TT02s are delicate as far as "rally" goes, mine would strip the steering step screws, bind where the suspension pivots (its plastic on plastic), and pop suspension balls. This is while running them on a silver can motor and stock (slow) gearing.

I'd still suggest buying a Fazer, then re-building it. Since after (cheap) electronics and paint you'll be at about $300 for the XV01.

I'm not sure how long, but it's worth the wait if you end up saving $100. Hop ups are significantly cheaper there too if you go that route. The XV01 has bearings, shocks, and will offer a more involved build than a TT02.

TT02s are delicate as far as "rally" goes, mine would strip the steering step screws, bind where the suspension pivots (its plastic on plastic), and pop suspension balls. This is while running them on a silver can motor and stock (slow) gearing.

I'd still suggest buying a Fazer, then re-building it. Since after (cheap) electronics and paint you'll be at about $300 for the XV01.
OK, so I took a look at the fazer, and it does look pretty awesome, especially for the money. I can actually get it for $229 with a coupon code, so for that price it's a no-brainer. Just curious what some of the available hop-ups are? Better diffs? I think I'd eventually convert to brushless. Thoughts?

OK, so I took a look at the fazer, and it does look pretty awesome, especially for the money. I can actually get it for $229 with a coupon code, so for that price it's a no-brainer. Just curious what some of the available hop-ups are? Better diffs? I think I'd eventually convert to brushless. Thoughts?
I know there are factory hopups. I haven't branched too far into after marker parts. What body and year are you after?

https://kyoshoamerica.com/compatible/index/index/product_id/34467/type/2/

If you want to build the ultimate Rally then any 4WD SCT would be ideal.

The highest quality you can get on the market today is from TEKNO where they offer a 50% lifetime warranty:
https://www.teknorc.com/warranty-repair/

Here's their SCT410 2.0 which was recently released and TEKNO has always offered support for their legacy platforms making them the best basher out of any brand on the market hands down:
https://www.teknorc.com/shop/tkr9500-sct410-2-0-1-10th-4x4-short-course-truck-kit/

I have a build thread here on the older .3 platform to give you an idea of what to expect from TEKNO:
Here's a video of my TEKNO with a Fiat Ritmo rally body on it:

I got the body from DeltaPlastikUSA where any 325mm body will fit standard 1/8 buggy and 1/10 SCT platforms:
https://deltaplastikusa.com/collections/1-8th-rc-bodies

They also have a Lancia which you expressed interest above:

1705883700573.png

Here's my TEKNO SCT410 with the Fiat Ritmo:

1705883829622.png

1705883848220.png

Universals axles, metal driveshaft, probably a few others that I don't know of.

For brushless you'll likely want the metal driveshaft, a bigger pinion gear, aluminum motor mount (if the car doesn't come with one), maybe a cheap fan/heatsink if it runs hot (anything for a 540 motor works, doesn't have to be name brand).

I would suggest to avoid cheapo, off-brand wheels/tires. I've tried several and I've either snapped a rim or they'll go bald in a few runs.

A 4x4 SCT will certainly be more capable off-road than a 1:10 touring car, but they tend to be more expensive too. That might be better later down the line.
The op needs to decide.... do they want a car getting air off a pebble,or off a rut? 🤣 If you do go touring, a leaf blower is your friend.

Back