Talk me out of getting a Jato

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thrashman

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi guys,

A couple of weeks ago my friend's wife bought him a Duratrax Nitro Evader. It's got a .18 engine in it. The thing halls. He put some larger tires on the rear and now it halls even more. Well, I don't have any type of R/C, and his car is so much fun that I just put a Jato on lay-away. I don't know if I'll get much chance to race, and I certainly would like to be able to keep up with him in all aspects. How's my choice? The choice wasn't easy. I really had a hard time deciding between the Jato and the Team Losi XXX-NT II. The cars are priced exactly the same and I can still change to the other.

I like the Jato for the speed, and the ability to fuel and start without removing the body. I like the Team Losi because it's got the roto-start, which seems like 1 less thing to break down (I'm talking about the ez start on the Jato). Plus the Team Losi has everything readily available for it. Also, the guys in the hobby shop all have the XXX-NT (several and various) for themselves and tell me what a great car it is.

Is there anybody that has both that can give me some advice?

The Jato is definitly faster than the Evader... It will walk all up and down his ass, even in stock form..

I would get the Jato.

The Jato is nice, but I've heard it's not as good of a racer as the XXX-NT, but w/ the JATO, you will SMOKE ur friend's evader. And, the Jato is a little more durable out of the box. You really can't go wrong w/ either... But since you already ordered the Jato, I'd go w/ that.

I've heard good things about the Jato and heard its hella fast, but its still new, and the and Team Losi XXX-Nt has already proved itself to be a awesome rig. So I guess the choice is up to you. I think youd be happy with either. And yeah, Both of these will smoke a duratrash anyday of the week.

the losi xxx-nt ad2 (adam drake 2). is really cool i seen the review in a rc mag. the ppl who tested it loved it. they are all great cars either way youll be happy.

friends who race stadium trucks all got Jato's to try and all went back to RC10gt's......they all said the same thing.....it just won't keep the ass end on the ground when you remove the EZ-start.....and if your racing, you know that's gotta go.....if you're not serious about racing it looks like one fun lil truck......

I'm not too fond of the EZ-Start2, but if it works for you then good. If you plan to race it (on the track) I'd go with the xxx-nt because it's a single speed tranny. Two speed will disqualify you in serious races.

On the other hand though, the Jato is a sharp looking little truck and I wouldn't mind having one myself. Also the jato will be a little tougher.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages, but I think you'll be happy with either.

the xxx-nt isn't very strong out of the box, the plastic is soooo stiff. So, I tore down all the plastic suspension pieces and boiled them, and haven't broken anything since.

Thanks for all the advice. You know, though, you guys are doing a terrible job of talking me out of buying the Jato!

cvec7, those reviews are pretty much solidifying my choice! Thanks for posting them.

The fact that some of you are telling me it's pretty durable right out of the box is also making the choice a bit easier. If I decide to race it, I can always get the single speed conversion. I know the track at the hobby shop will let me run the Jato stock. Isn't that in all the really big races, you can't run anything larger than a .12?

I'm also planning on running it through the low grass as the school because it'll the largest area where I can really open 'er up. My friend, for some reason, didn't really want me running his car in the grass. With the stock tires it wouldn't go through it very fast, but when he got those oversized rear tires, it flew through it like nothing. He was a little worried about the grass getting in the gears and thrashing the engine. Is that much of a problem/possibility?

that's not a problem but higher temps will be...just make sure you aren't overheating it running in the grass......more load=higher temps.....as far as durability.....get a 1/8 scale buggy...they'll handle any terrain an ST will and be WAY more fun when you just crush your buddy w/ flat out ass hauling speed and handling.....

Ya, in big races, you have to have a single-speed tranny, and a .12 like you said. But chances are, if you do eventually want to enter in one of those big races, you'd prolly have a better racing vehicle by then anyway.

That's what I figured. If I get to where I'm going to be doing some big time racing, I'd probably just get another car. I'll have to figure out how to deal with higher temps when I get to it. I think I remember something about running the engine richer to cool it down a bit. I guess I'll be needing a temp gun also. Will the ones IR ones from Costco work?

I guess if I had to pinpoint one downpoint on the jato is the 2.5 engine, they typically don't last very long. However, once that's done, you should have some $$$ saved up to buy something better.... like an O.S. .18 TZ.

Thrashman said:
Hi guys,

A couple of weeks ago my friend's wife bought him a Duratrax Nitro Evader. It's got a .18 engine in it. The thing halls. He put some larger tires on the rear and now it halls even more. Well, I don't have any type of R/C, and his car is so much fun that I just put a Jato on lay-away. I don't know if I'll get much chance to race, and I certainly would like to be able to keep up with him in all aspects. How's my choice? The choice wasn't easy. I really had a hard time deciding between the Jato and the Team Losi XXX-NT II. The cars are priced exactly the same and I can still change to the other.

I like the Jato for the speed, and the ability to fuel and start without removing the body. I like the Team Losi because it's got the roto-start, which seems like 1 less thing to break down (I'm talking about the ez start on the Jato). Plus the Team Losi has everything readily available for it. Also, the guys in the hobby shop all have the XXX-NT (several and various) for themselves and tell me what a great car it is.

Is there anybody that has both that can give me some advice?
I CAN SEE WHY U WANT A JATO BUT THE HPI RUSH ENO RTR WITH ROTO START IS BETTER BECAUSE IT IS STRONGER AND U CAN UPGRADE IT TO AN 18SS ENGINE.

No, the rush really isn't better....I've owned one so....I can say it's not as good as you say it is...

No, that's why I didn't say one was better than the other... I just said that the rush wasn't as good as he was making it out to be...

Back