Synth tx with Crystal rx?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parag0n

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I'm looking at getting a new radio soon, and another car. as i dont often run my car with other people ( :( ) i was planning on putting crystal rx sets on both the cars, on different frequencies, so i can just switch to a different model, dial in the frequency of my other car, and go.

If i get a 27MHz Synth Tx, will i be able to use a 27MHz crystal Rx with it?

at the moment i'm looking at getting an Airtronics MX-3S, putting the synth rx that comes with it into my savage, then using my hitec mini FM reciever thats in the savage currently in a new 1/18th. then (hopefully) i'll still be able to control the 1/18th with my current tx when i'm using the savage on the other (gotta shut my brother up somehow ;) )

Last edited:
No, at least from my experiences and the literature that comes with the Tx's. Also, do your self a favor and go up to 75mhz, as there are many more channels to choose from. I think that there are only 6 or something like that in 27mhz.

can't use 75, i'm in the uk, we have 27, 40 and 2.35GHz (i think)

-edit- just checked, 27 and 459 are general use in the UK, 32 channels available, 40 is the freq licensed for RC ground vehicles, so looks like i'll be at 40... do airtronics even MAKE radios at that frequency? -/edit-

Last edited:
Sorry, did not catch that you were in the UK. I guess the best thing to do is check the Airtronics European website if they have one.

Well, airtronics dont seem to make a 40MHz model, but the JR XS3i is available in 40MHz models, looks just as good as the Mx3S, and is about the same price! so i've edited my shopping list slightly to include it ;)

Airtronics = Sanwa in the uk.

Try KO propo, Sanwa, Futaba, Hitec they all make 40mhz sets in AM and FM.

There are also more 27mhz (known by colour designation (sp?)) than you can shake a pointed stick at.

Parag0n said:
can't use 75, i'm in the uk, we have 27, 40 and 2.35GHz (i think)

-edit- just checked, 27 and 459 are general use in the UK, 32 channels available, 40 is the freq licensed for RC ground vehicles, so looks like i'll be at 40... do airtronics even MAKE radios at that frequency? -/edit-

Just out of curiosity, what would happen if you did use 75mhz? would you just get a lot of interference or what?

Dont know if it helps but I ran a Novek Synth RX with an Airtronics M8 crystal TX without any issues.

I may be showing my ignorance here but if the RX and TX are computable isn't a frequency a frequency?

Again, I have no idea but why does it matter how the frequency is locked into place as long as its the same with equipment that is computable?

This subject interests me and I would love to know more.

FastEddy said:
Dont know if it helps but I ran a Novek Synth RX with an Airtronics M8 crystal TX without any issues.

I may be showing my ignorance here but if the RX and TX are computable isn't a frequency a frequency?

Again, I have no idea but why does it matter how the frequency is locked into place as long as its the same with equipment that is computable?

This subject interests me and I would love to know more.

Thats what I thought too, i use a Sanwa tx/rx combo but I swapped out my small sanwa rx for an even smaller hitec rx and got extreme glitching everytime I went round the bottom of the stairs up the rostrum. (It once launched the buggy off the raised pitlane) Never happened with the sanwa tx/rx combination. Also I bought a pair of hitec crystals that don't work in anything other than I hitec tx/rx combination.

Actually, if I remeber correctly, it might work. Because didn't Novak come out w/ the synth reciever before they came out w/ the synth M8 module?

Eddy, if I remember correctly, you can go with a synth Rx and a crystal Tx, but not the other way. The Rx is "looking" for the signal so it locks on to the one it is set for.