Suspension Tuning: Springs vs. Shock oil

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbeard

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Can somebody explain? What changing a spring weight does to handling vs. changing shock oil? If I change the oil weight do I need to change the piston size? Should the front shock oil be heavier than the back? What about the spring weight in that situation? What effect does changing the shock mounting position have on performance?

Basically, I'm currently running the standard FTSC setup (with a havok and 8.5 brushless geared 87/17) on a tight small track, with small jumps It's half hard packed and half loose dry dirt and I'm not really happy with performance. Truck seems to bounce too much over the rhythm sections making the truck difficult to drive. Unfortunatly that's costing me time and speed which obviously affects consistent lap times. Any suggestions on setup adjustments that will allow a better "flow" and less bounce?;)

Seems like you probably got all the info you needed but springs affects weight transfer and how well the suspension soaks up inconsistancies in the racing surface. Shock oil affects the dampening or slowing down of the shocks movement

Lower weight springs require lower weight shock oil and vice versa. From what you described it sounds like you need softer springs and oil depending on what's in your shocks already. Otherwise you can try just lower weight shock oil which will let your shocks rebound faster to absorb the bumps but if they rebound too quickly your truck will be springy and still give you the same characteristics you are seeing now.

I'm a basher and I run the heaviest springs available on my LST2 with 80wt shock oil for absorbing big air landings without bottoming out. I found that for high speed bumpy terrain the best combo for my setup was the lightest springs with 20wt shock oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, he most cetainly needs to use softer springs, or at the very least adjust his shock angles so there is less sprung leverage on the suspension. Lighter oil will magnify his current problem I believe for the exact reason you stated.

I agree 100%. I would start by trying lighter springs and not adjusting the shock oil. If you start to make too many changes at once it gets hard to pinpoint where the problem is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to hijack but, my truck handles fine at my track but bottoms very hard landing on the larger jumps should I try shock oil or springs. I have both on hand but not sure which way to go first.

Try some thicker oil. You may need to add a bit of pre-load to regain your ride height.

Back