Losi Lasernut U4

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fried One

RC Newbie
Reaction score
This truck is pretty awesome to bash. Some things I don't like is the loose steering. It seems to have alot of slop. I would really like to tighten up steering.East Tactics has a YouTube channel and shows adding 2 or 3 C Clips to the steering saver to tighten it up. He used it on a Kraton. Compared to my Arrma Talion the difference is night and day. So far I replaced the steering and bell crank with an aluminum unit for Exotek. Replaced the centre diff fluid with 500K. I can now do wheelies since the fluid change. Also installed a couple of Rocket fans on ESC and motor. Bumped punch to level 6.
So what is needed to improve the steering. Right now it is very twitchy and I cannot open full throttle . I guess the big soft tires and loose steering are not complimenting each other at fast speeds on pavement. In the dirt it's a different animal. As far as diff fluids go what is recommended for the front and rear diffs. Shock oil if changed to a heavier weight that would probably dampen the bounce. I have 60Wt on hand. Any suggestions will be great.
Cheers Guys.

I love the Lasernut, on bare dirt it is my favorite 4s rig. To get mine to steer I pulled servo saver out and tightened it almost all the way. There’s no way to tighten it in the car without making a mess of it with pliers.

This truck is pretty awesome to bash. Some things I don't like is the loose steering. It seems to have alot of slop. I would really like to tighten up steering.East Tactics has a YouTube channel and shows adding 2 or 3 C Clips to the steering saver to tighten it up. He used it on a Kraton. Compared to my Arrma Talion the difference is night and day. So far I replaced the steering and bell crank with an aluminum unit for Exotek. Replaced the centre diff fluid with 500K. I can now do wheelies since the fluid change. Also installed a couple of Rocket fans on ESC and motor. Bumped punch to level 6.
So what is needed to improve the steering. Right now it is very twitchy and I cannot open full throttle . I guess the big soft tires and loose steering are not complimenting each other at fast speeds on pavement. In the dirt it's a different animal. As far as diff fluids go what is recommended for the front and rear diffs. Shock oil if changed to a heavier weight that would probably dampen the bounce. I have 60Wt on hand. Any suggestions will be great.
Cheers Guys.
I dont own that kit so I can't really give you any advice on diff fluids etc. The only thing I can say is that a desert buggy isnt going to drive very well on road. It wasn't meant for that.

Good point you mentioned. I guess we sometimes loose sight of what the vehicle was designed to do and we want it to perform as good as some of our other better performing vehicles. It is a great vehicle in the dirt for sure.
I love the Lasernut, on bare dirt it is my favorite 4s rig. To get mine to steer I pulled servo saver out and tightened it almost all the way. There’s no way to tighten it in the car without making a mess of it with pliers.
I agree it's a blast in the dirt. I will try to tighten up my servo as well. Will have to do a search on it.
Thanks Bud.

I took out my servo saver yesterday and tightend it about 5 half turns. Could probably have gone another full turn but it was pretty loose. I did not a big improvement in the steering . It seems a little more precise now and feels a bit tighter.
Thank you.

I took out my servo saver yesterday and tightend it about 5 half turns. Could probably have gone another full turn but it was pretty loose. I did not a big improvement in the steering . It seems a little more precise now and feels a bit tighter.
Thank you.
Glad that helped, I’m still on the stock servo so even with it tightened down the servo hasn’t stripped.

Hi,
Just reading my post I see that I wrote that it did not make an improvement. Good to see that you could probably tell that it was a mistype. It did make a drastic improvement. Still using the stock servo as well. I will upgrade it once it fails. Until then will keep pushing it. Replaced all my shock fluid last night. The existing shock performance once taken off the truck was shameful. No rebound at all on the shafts once depressed, springs removed. Stock oil was dark grey in color. I put 60Wt in as it's what I had in stock. Will run it today and see how it performs. With all the tweaks it feels like a completely different truck. So far so good.

So I did run it earlier and my Lasernut pulls real strong now. All fliuds replaced throughout the truck. With the heavier 60 Wt shock oil I'm no longer able to do a wheelie on demand. Guess the rear shocks has to overcome more load now. What weight would be sufficient over the stock 35wt. Going to see what I have in my stock.

Shock tuning is all personal preference. Just experiment with it until you get it dialed in to a specific weight for the performance that you want.

Shock tuning is all personal preference. Just experiment with it until you get it dialed in to a specific weight for the performance that you want.
Got it. So I am on the right track to go with a lighter weight on the rear. This truck never could do a wheelie. After I swapped all three diff fluids and bumped up the punch she would do it quite easily. It is rather fun to do. We learn new things very day.

If I had to guess Id say its got more to do with the heavier diff fluid you're running. You may have to go down on your pinion size a little bit to give it the torque that it needs to overcome the thicker diff fluid and put power to the rear wheels quicker. Thicker fluid will give you more of a posi-track type response but it also makes the motor work harder to overcome the greater resistance.

If I had to guess Id say its got more to do with the heavier diff fluid you're running. You may have to go down on your pinion size a little bit to give it the torque that it needs to overcome the thicker diff fluid and put power to the rear wheels quicker. Thicker fluid will give you more of a posi-track type response but it also makes the motor work harder to overcome the greater resistance.
So when I ran it this morning we had a bit of rain come through. It had stopped when I took it out. I could not do a wheelie. So I took it out again this afternoon, dry pavement and to my surprise I was able to do a wheelie. Could maybe be less traction due to the wet pavement. I was totally blown away this afternoon. I was able to do slides and rip it so hard. I'm really enjoying this truck now. Thanks man for your response. Will keep pushing it and see what's next on the agenda.

You could try heavier center diff fluid. Not sure what is stock, maybe 50k. Maybe try 100-200k.

Back