Suggestions on a beginner quadcopter

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wacmartin

DAMN TREES
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys looking for some suggestions on beginner quadcopters, looking to spend around $200. My lhs carries latrax, traxxas, Helimax, blade, align, hubsan, estes, and wl toys.

I'm thinking either the blade 180Qx or the new Helimax 230si, or maybe even the sq v cam.

I want something that can fly good outside, so it has to handle wind pretty good, that's why I'm really considering the 230si and 180qx. I'm open to all suggestions from the above manufacturers except wl toys, lhs stocks the quads but no spares.

I'm really liking the 230si, but there's barely any reviews out there yet, and one thing I'm hearing is it's underpowered. But hey that could be a good thing for somebody who's just learning.

I have the predecessor to the 180 QX, the mQX and it's a great flier. I would recommend a good computer TX like the DX6s rather than the stock one that comes in the RTR version. Even if your LHS doesn't stock the parts, Horizon Hobby has really good parts support online and most shops can order them.

The lhs does stock the parts for pretty much all blade products they don't stock any wl toys parts.

Is the 180 qx that much better with a dx6? I've seen them going for a $100 used now with the release of the new dx6. I also see I can get a 180 qx for $110 bnf with no camera, which would put me at a little less then a bnf with the cam.
I'd only have to pay taxes on $110 instead of $200. Lol it would only be $1.20 cheaper.

The computer radios allow you to set dual rates and the dead space around the center to keep it from being as twitchy.

I ordered the Blade 180 QX rtf. The bnf with no cam was actually $150 and right now I can't find a dx6 used locally.

I did go on my local lhs website and the Blade 180QX bnf was the deal of day at $179.99. None were available in the local store but the warehouse had 3 left so I had so order it. Free shipping though on orders over $100.

Back