Stuck wheel hubs - 17mm hex conversion on Losi Tenacity TT Pro

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bener

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all, I've got a Losi Tenacity TT Pro, the previous owner installed a Traxxas 6856X Wheel hubs splined 17mm Conversion.

The hubs are just meant to pop off but two wheels are jammed on - I cannot undo the wheel nuts because the rear hex nut is slipping inside the wheel, and I can't get a grip on it. I also can't pry the hub off, and I'm worried about putting too much pressure on the whole steering assembly and wrecking something else.

Has anyone got any sneaky tricks to get things separated?

Use something to lock the drive shaft, I have used a screw driver for example wedged into the outdrive, then you can pop the nut off. Consider softening your throttle, mashing hard on the throttle and doing lots of wheelies are prone to rounding out the wheel hexes :(

If you haven't rebuilt your car in a while and the diffs are empty then you might be cooking your plastic especially if the front wheels are unloading excessively, more info here:

If you want to remount the tire/insert on a new wheel then consider the "bake method"... heat oven to 350°F then turn it off, immediately place wheel on cookie sheet and place into oven allow it to cool. Carefully pry the bead after tire has cooled so you don't burn your fingers, if glue hasn't completely separated then repeat as many times as necessary which can sometimes take up to 2-3X and never place any parts in the oven with it turned on.

Last edited:
theres many different was to get this wheel hex out. it all depends on do you want to use that wheel again?. and there one trick to help you. you take a 1/4" socket and grid t down to fit in wheel lock nut space. thats a trick I learned in the 90's when all these no room wheels came out.You can take that A arm off and disassemble the hub then use a vise to lock axel

Use something to lock the drive shaft, I have used a screw driver for example wedged into the outdrive, then you can pop the nut off. Consider softening your throttle, mashing hard on the throttle and doing lots of wheelies are prone to rounding out the wheel hexes :(

If you haven't rebuilt your car in a while and the diffs are empty then you might be cooking your plastic especially if the front wheels are unloading excessively, more info here:

If you want to remount the tire/insert on a new wheel then consider the "bake method"... heat oven to 350°F then turn it off, immediately place wheel on cookie sheet and place into oven allow it to cool. Carefully pry the bead after tire has cooled so you don't burn your fingers, if glue hasn't completely separated then repeat as many times as necessary which can sometimes take up to 2-3X and never place any parts in the oven with it turned on.
Thanks for all the tips Bill! I have rebuild the diffs recently, but I think it's had a pretty hard life before I got my hands on it! Slowly sorting all the issues.

The tyre removal method is great, I'll definitely try that.

a hair dryer. long nose vise grips..
I didn't think about the heat option, thanks!
I got the wheels off in the end, I removed the allen key locks that hold the wheel onto the hub, sprayed lots of Inox in there (wd40 type product) and gave it a bit of a pull each time, levering from behind the wheel off the top of the steering knuckle. Just reapplied every time they wouldn't come off, and eventually got them all.

The locking pins were snapped in each hub, so I'm glad I got them off for some maintenance, I don't think the wheels and hubs have been touched for a long time!

Thanks for the tips everyone, I've picked up a few good ones from this thread!

I've just been going through your how-to articles, including the maintenance tips one, they are great!

Back