Strange ESC low voltage cutoff issues

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbutz1127

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I have a strange issue happening with multiple RC cars, but nothing about the cars are setup the same. Basically, I can put a fresh battery in the car and it will run for about 8-10 minutes and then the car will slow and stop and the ESC is alerting me to a low voltage cutoff. This is on a Traxxas Slash 4x4 and a Stampede 4x4.
One has a hobbywing max10 SCT esc with a surpass hobby motor. The other has a hobbywing WP-sc8 ESC and a hobbystar motor. They each use their own transmitter.

I can take the same battery out and put it in my friends cars and it’ll run fine another 20-30 minutes. I’ve tried this with 4 brand new batteries both 2S and 3S 5200mah and the same thing occurs every time. Once I get the low voltage cutoff I can put a new battery in and it will also run about 8-10 minutes and cutoff too.

Anyone else had a similar issue? Or thoughts on what to try? All ESCs and motors were purchased independent of each other, but around the same time a year ago, but other than timing there is just nothing that connects the hardware to each other.

Driving me crazy that my friends can drive on one battery for longer than it takes me on 4 brand new fresh batteries.

Could be your cars are geared taller and pulling more amps causing the packs to dip enough to trip the LVC. Or, your esc's are set with a higher LVC than your friends. Or a combination of both. If his cars are geared lower and pulling less amps, they will run longer because the system doesn't work as hard.

Could be your cars are geared taller and pulling more amps causing the packs to dip enough to trip the LVC. Or, your esc's are set with a higher LVC than your friends. Or a combination of both. If his cars are geared lower and pulling less amps, they will run longer because the system doesn't work as hard.
They both have slash 4x4 as well and all are geared about the same. If anything theirs are probably a pinion gear tooth or so higher than mine. We’ve tried adjusting the LVC settings on both of mine, even to OFF, and same issue. Just don’t get it.

You sure your getting the LVC and not "it's too hot" error?

I ran the max10 sct/3660sl 3200kv in my stampede for a bit on 3S. That system has a motor temp lead and my motor was getting hot and shutting me down. Even with a fan and mildly conservative gearing.

You sure your getting the LVC and not "it's too hot" error?

I ran the max10 sct/3660sl 3200kv in my stampede for a bit on 3S. That system has a motor temp lead and my motor was getting hot and shutting me down. Even with a fan and mildly conservative gearing.
Yeah. All temps are good. ESCs are cool and motors are barely even warm.