Stick Transmitter Schemes

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aPpYe

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have an MOA with Dual ESCs and 4WS. I decided to go with dual sticks and a 4 channel setup because of the level of fine control it allows. This is my first time doing such a thing.

Here's my issue:

Because it made the most logical sense to me, I started off by going with the following scheme:
Code:
LEFT STICK               RIGHT STICK
 Front Servo              Rear Servo
 Front ESC                Rear ESC
... Initially I found that the steering felt a somewhat backwards (I guess because I am used to turning the wheel with my right hand to control the front steering on my X-Maxx), but I stuck with it for a week or so. Today I found that I was still mixing up the throttle channels, resulting in disaster on the rocks. Perhaps unwisely, I decided to reverse things as follows:
Code:
 Rear Servo               Front Servo
 Rear ESC                 Front ESC
... This made my brain happy as far as throttle goes, but I guess I had trained myself (formed the neural pathways?) by this point to like the steering as it was originally. My brain was starting to feel the stress. I then tried this insanity for about fifteen minutes:
Code:
 Front ESC                Rear ESC
... The idea (I guess) being that steering is "supposed" to be done with the right stick on a standard 2 channel setup. My brain was indeed happy with the steering and throttle for a little while, at least tooling around on the living room floor, but it was just too weird when I got on the rocks. Stress fractures began forming on my cerebellum. I then went with this idea:
Code:
 Rear Servo (REVERSED)    Front Servo (REVERSED)
... Again this makes the brain happy on flat surfaces, but once again is too weird on the rocks. At this point there are clear fissures across my cerebellum and my frontal lobes are starting to overheat.
I am now back to running this:
Code:
... And I can't decide if I like it better than the original setup. My gut tells me I should stick with this because I initially found the original setup's steering backwards and I just need to untrain myself. There is smoke coming out of my eyeballs, my ears, and my ass, I now have permanent brain damage. :bored:

I guess my question is, how do YOU control your MOA 4WS crawler?

Last edited:
You made my brain hurt thinking about it! I could never do that because it would mess up my brain when I'm flying! 🤣

Lol. I switched back to my original scheme, what I seem to be most happy with anyway. I am getting the hang of it, did some pretty cool stuff just now that I hadn't thought of before, only possible with dual stick control.

It is very cool, if I didn't still fly I might be tempted to give it a try. :thumbs-up:

By the way, welcome to the forum. :)

Wish I could help but I'm not a crawler guy. i have given some thought to building a MOA crawler though.

Funny thing ... The morning after creating this thread I switched back to my original scheme (front axle all on the left, rear axle on the right). I discovered that the whole switching things around like that, and perhaps sleeping on it, actually reinforced what I had been training myself to do over the last week. It suddenly felt natural! I have really started opening up what I can do with this little beast.

I may be converting my little Basher Rocksta (Stingray) over to the same receiver, but I need to find a tiny (enough) ESC I can fit two of, along with the receiver in that tiny chassis. Luckily it doesn't even need drag brake because the thing is so light, the gearbox itself keeps the wheels from spinning. I guess whatever thumbnail sized 4 amp or more ESC has the best low speed control ...