Steering problem on nitro monster truck

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffgnz

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi there,
I am new to this, just recently got a cheap HSP RTR monster truck to try out nitro RC for the first time. It has been running fine, but now the steering is really limited (only turns very slightly in a very wide arc).
I've read a lot of posts on this and other forums about it, and done a few checks:
  1. The physical steering is working fine if I push/pull the steering arm (when disconnected from the servo)
  2. The same problem occurs if I replace the on-board batteries
  3. I switched the steering/throttle channels on the receiver. The steering then works fine with the trigger, but the throttle servo now has the limited range of movement.
  4. Put everything back how it should be, dismantled the transmitter to check no loose connections behind the steering wheel. All looks fine (to my inexperienced eyes at least).
  5. Battery indicator on the transmitter is green, so no battery issues there.
I am left with the conclusion that I need to replace the receiver. Does this sound right to you guys?
Thanks in advance!
Cheers,
Jeff

It sounds like it could be the servo itself. If the throttle servo is working then, it is not the receiver.

It sounds like it could be the servo itself. If the throttle servo is working then, it is not the receiver.
Thanks for the quick reply! I think the steering servo is OK, because it worked fine when I plugged it into the throttle channel on the receiver.

That is a weird issue ,my thoughts was in the transmitter servo adjusters ,like EP an stuff like that!
What are the transmitter servo adjusters? And EP?
The steering trim from the transmitter works fine.
Do you know what would cause an RX to fail? I know its cheap so bound to get some parts crap out, but it hasn't had a lot of use or been anywhere wet to cause a short or anything like that.

I was thinking radio settings as well... I am not a radio guru but if you give us the radio manufacturer, model etc... I will try to spend some time and find some info.

Welcome to RCNT!!!:welcome_sign:

I was thinking radio settings as well... I am not a radio guru but if you give us the radio manufacturer, model etc... I will try to spend some time and find some info.

Welcome to RCNT!!!:welcome_sign:
Thanks Mike,
The TX is a HSP 2.4Ghz 2ch, no TR80300B
The RX is a HSP 2.4Ghz 3ch, no 28464B
Cheers,
Jeff

What are the transmitter servo adjusters? And EP?
The steering trim from the transmitter works fine.
Do you know what would cause an RX to fail? I know its cheap so bound to get some parts crap out, but it hasn't had a lot of use or been anywhere wet to cause a short or anything like that.

Lol...It depends on what radio set up you have!
I have a flysky an it has 2 different servo function set ups,I hate them ,if there not set on a 100%
the servo's wont move all the way to the right or left.
The settings on mine have a throw rate setting an a speed setting.
The throw rate allows you to preset the servo to only move so far an can be dialed to 0%.

Lol...It depends on what radio set up you have!
I have a flysky an it has 2 different servo function set ups,I hate them ,if there not set on a 100%
the servo's wont move all the way to the right or left.
The settings on mine have a throw rate setting an a speed setting.
The throw rate allows you to preset the servo to only move so far an can be dialed to 0%.
Mine is way more basic than that!! Apart from the throttle trigger & steering, it just has throttle trim and steering trim.

If this is your transmitter, the D/R knob is the dual rate. Not sure which way affects what your doing, but 100% usually gives you the most steering throw I think:
2016-1230-hspTransmitter-80300.jpg

If that knob is not at 0 or 100% (not sure which way does what), it will limit your steering. With it's location, it would be easy enough to bump that when turning the radio on/off or fussing with one of the other knobs.

Found the image here: http://s1359.photobucket.com/user/Tomasz_Misterski/media/_576_zps3bmwjupc.jpg.html

If that knob is not at 0 or 100% (not sure which way does what), it will limit your steering. With it's location, it would be easy enough to bump that when turning the radio on/off or fussing with one of the other knobs.
I love you man!!!! That was exactly the problem, except on mine the D/R knob is the bottom-right one and it had to be turned all the way up to 6.
Thanks so much to everyone, this forum is awesome, now I can get back out there this afternoon :)

Well, I'm VERY happy to hear you got this sorted! Reasonably painless in the wallet is always the best way! I'm sorry I wasn't as on point as I intended. We were NUKED with snow during this storm. It took ALL the wind out of my sail! (was fortunate on the timing as I slept for about 24Hrs straight minus the occasional bathroom visits.
Anyways, CONGRATS on the fix!

Thanks to everyone who helped out with this last week. Here is a quick video of it running. The steering issue is sorted ... it wants to jump onto 2 wheels at will. If only I could get the tuning right so it would go on the back 2 wheels instead!!

I still haven't mastered the tuning, it seemed to be running way too rich yesterday, then my daughter drove it headlong into a retaining wall, which popped the exhaust off and bent the driveshaft. The exhaust was an easy fix, but the driveshaft is bent up so it won't turn now, but those will probably be posts for another day.

Anyway, thanks again for all your help!

I remember the first time my wife drove one of my RC's 15+ years ago. She was doing fine until it hit 2nd gear, then she got frazzled and went head on into a chain link fence. She handed the remote back and said "now I understand why you are always ordering parts and working on these things!". She hasn't tried again since.

Since your front axle is all mangled like that, odds are, your chassis may be tweaked too, or at least some plastic parts on the front of that thing. You might want to take the front end apart and inspect before you order the new axle, as you may need more than that.

The only way that drive shaft can get bent like that ,is if the chassy itself buckled on impact!
You will have to take the whole front diff assembly off an straighten out the chassy!...:eek:

Since your front axle is all mangled like that, odds are, your chassis may be tweaked too, or at least some plastic parts on the front of that thing. You might want to take the front end apart and inspect before you order the new axle, as you may need more than that.

The only way that drive shaft can get bent like that ,is if the chassy itself buckled on impact!
You will have to take the whole front diff assembly off an straighten out the chassy!...:eek:

Thanks guys for the advice. I'll pull it apart this weekend and take a look.

Funny thing is, my first problem was because of the d/r on the steering, now this is because of not having d/r on the throttle. Would be nice if I could dial it down a bit for the kids to drive while they get used to it.

Last edited:
Back