Starts right away but...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC Addict

RCTalk VIP
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Alright, RCNT. As most of you know I won a HPI MT2 G3.0 a while back in one of the last of the RCNT Lottos. Man we need to find a way around that. Like a donation scheme where everyone who donates gets a "sticker" with a number. That way everyone gets something for their "donation" and that SHOULDN'T be against the law...

Anyway, I digress. Here is my problem: When the mill is cold (garage temp--around 80 degrees) she fires up right away. I am still breaking 'er in so I am running it for about five minutes then shutting it down to cool via the heat cycle method. Only catch is she will not re-fire. I have a good stream of blue smoke on throttle (only 1/4 throttle bursts) but not "dripping oil" rich. Temps after five minutes are 230-240. Oh, and I have already replaced the stock GP with another stocker.

Any ideas? Maybe go to a hot plug? I am stuck. :\

Those single needle carbs on those engines stink. I tried tuning one for my buddy, I could not stand the carb. I have heard there is an O.S. carb that fits the engine but I do not know which model. A engine modder that I know pretty well bought an onroad HPI car with the same engine and he said the engine was a big letdown.
what you are experiencing sounds like vapor lock. The carb neck is not insulated and the heat from the engine transfers to the carb, forcing the fuel back into the fuel tank.
When you go to start it up warm, hold your finger over the stinger and crank on the roto until it starts to cackle like it is going to start. Then give it a bit of throttle and remove your finger from the stinger. It worked like a charm on his MT2.

You know, I didn't even thing about vapor lock. I agree that I am less than thrilled with the single needle carb, but the mill seems pretty responsive thus far (at least for the little bit I have gotten to run it).

I tried the finger over the stinger trick but it still won't fire off when hot. I dunno. I will look into that OS carb suggestion.

Thanks, Scrogg!

E-Bay that engine and drop an O.S. in it!