Starter box not turning flywheel.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djdoug99

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I just got an OS .21 V SPEC in the mail the other day, and installed it. I put it on the starter box and it seems that the pinch is too tight for the motor. I wasn't sure if the starter wheel was hitting the flywheel so I took out the engine and turned the Flywheel with my hand to get the piston to the bottom. I help on to the motor with my hand and placed it on the starter wheel. While making good contact with the wheel, the flywheel still locks up when it reached TDC. I've read that heating the engine up helps this, can anyone confirm?

I have this starter box with a 12V Gel Cell http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_23_52/products_id/5429

Thanks

If you are already heating the head... try loosening the glow plug just a little bit to releive some of the presure. When it fires... tighten the plug back up. I have a .21 V-Spec and it is really tight until it is broken in. Let me know if this helps.

Tom

tried the glowplug trick, no luck. How much should I be heating it, should I take it all the way up to 230? I brought it up to 145 and it was easier to turn by hand, but the starterbox still wont take it.

I am not an expert by any stretch but you want to concentrate the the heat gun around the case of the motor, not so much the cooling head. I try to get my motor up to around 200 or so before I try turning it over.

took a heat gun to the thing, and still no go. What starter box are you using?

I'm probably thinking too much compression too. You can use a hairdryer or heating gun onto the engine (I don't think the cooling head, the part under it.) This should loosen it up. If it's not, the starter box is probably not aligning with the flywheel.

I wouldn't think it was flooded. It's a new engine, and he said he is having trouble starting it.

Definitely no flooded. This is my first time using a starter box, used to pull start. The flywheel has to be perfectly parallel with the starter box wheel?

yeah, so that the starter box wheel spins the flywheel. Are you sure your starter box wheel is in the right positions?

No not sure, but when I pressed the flywheel down to the wheel it made contact and the wheel spun, just not the flywheel.

Weird. Are you sure you have the flywheel directly over the hole in the chassis? Maybe you have the clutchbell over the hole and not the flywheel.

I think what it may be is the battery. When I got it I didn't give it a full charge I don't think. How many volts should it be putting out? I just tested mine and my multimeter says 13V...

Depends. Are you using 2 7.2 stick packs or a gel pack (The big box)?

Yeah those are usually 12-13 V when fully charged. Are you sure that the flywheel and the starter box wheel line up correctly? Also, try the heat gun or hairdryer tip. It'll help lose some compression, making it easier for the starter box.

Batteries of any type, kind, or size don't "put out" volts. They show a voltage which is rarely directly proportional to their state of "charge". If a battery is at it's full state of charge, then it "puts out" Amperage (current flow) with a minimum of voltage loss(drop) at the battery terminals. Any battery can show a decent no-load voltage and still have very little amperage pushing ability under a load. As amperage is what is necessary to DO work. A state of charge represents a battery's ability to do work at a given voltage potential. Volt meters do NOT measure "charge".

Yup pretty sure that the flywheel and starter wheel are hitting each other correctly. I did find a sweet spot one time where the flywheel was spinning I think, but i've been unable to locate that spot again. I will try again in the morning.

How hard should I be pressing the flywheel onto the starter wheel?

Ok try this.

Take the glo plug out and let it sit upside down and manually turn the flywheel.If there is any fuel, it will drip out. Then after a few minutes upside down, turn it over and place a few drops of After Run Oil and spin the flywheel. Insert the glow plug but do jut before snug heat the head and try to start it again. Just make sure your plug is good and your starterbox is charged. Let the starter wheel get up to speed before you try to start your mill.

Good luck.

sorry to stray from topic, but jon that avatar is halarious,but the nissan emblem should be bonein the honda.ha ha!