Reds 521s break in issues

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Urminme

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Good morning guys and I hope this is not posted in the wrong area but for starters I've had several years in the rc hobby and specifically in nitro, I've had various cars and various engines including SH, OS, OFNA and now a reds 521s combo. My issue is that after years of breaking in various engines I have been attempting to break this reds engine in, but the pinch is so insanely tight that it's almost impossible to turn get past TDC, I've already gone through standard troubleshooting such as lossening the glow plug which mildly helps but even with the glow plug completely removed the engine is just so fiddlesticking tight it won't fully turn over, I am using a protek sure start with dual 775 motors which is brand new and using 2 50c rated LiPo batteries which should be no problem, ever attempt to start leads to the starter wheel burning rubber or completely stalling, it's nuts I've never ever seen an engine so damn tight, I've also heat the head to 190-200 every time I attempt to start it and have even tried a few drops of extra lubrication done the glow plug hole just to make sure the piston has its best chance of getting turned over and so far after several days I've only got it to turn over just a few times, but I'm burning out my damn starters box and have to press so hard I'm worried about breaking something. Any thing will help guys

Good morning guys and I hope this is not posted in the wrong area but for starters I've had several years in the rc hobby and specifically in nitro, I've had various cars and various engines including SH, OS, OFNA and now a reds 521s combo. My issue is that after years of breaking in various engines I have been attempting to break this reds engine in, but the pinch is so insanely tight that it's almost impossible to turn get past TDC, I've already gone through standard troubleshooting such as lossening the glow plug which mildly helps but even with the glow plug completely removed the engine is just so fiddlesticking tight it won't fully turn over, I am using a protek sure start with dual 775 motors which is brand new and using 2 50c rated LiPo batteries which should be no problem, ever attempt to start leads to the starter wheel burning rubber or completely stalling, it's nuts I've never ever seen an engine so damn tight, I've also heat the head to 190-200 every time I attempt to start it and have even tried a few drops of extra lubrication done the glow plug hole just to make sure the piston has its best chance of getting turned over and so far after several days I've only got it to turn over just a few times, but I'm burning out my damn starters box and have to press so hard I'm worried about breaking something. Any thing will help guys
Are you sure that the starter wheel is not dragging on the chassy?
An try heating engine up to two twenty temperature.

I had the same issues with a brand new OS .12 engine. It was a huge PITA, and I just about torched my starter box wheel getting that thing broken in. Heating the block helped some. Having a pair of channelocks to turn the flywheel when it would get stuck helped, lol. Eventually after running it enough it loosened up to where it's no longer getting stuck. Still has an insane amount of compression though, and I'm pretty sure I haven't yet unlocked the full power of the engine as of yet. Technically it should be broken in by now, but I'm sure it's a little ways off from being truly loosened up.

Maybe you can try putting on a plane blade and cone on a stand and try that with a hand held starter. I would still remove the glow plug and just run it thru for a few minutes and hope that may help.