Failed Attempt of breaking in

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty123c

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Yesterday I went out to break in my LRP .28 spec 4 engine on a starter box, the piston moved a few times, then became stuck at TDC, I got it free, then when trying to turn the flywheel by hand, its very hard to get it past TDC. Now the box won't even turn it all all, just wears the wheel down, new engine having too much compression? Or something else?

Any advice, I'm grateful
Marty

Heat it up to expand it. Hair dryer or carefully with a heat gun would be better.
I thought that might be an idea to try. for future reference aswell... is there any cheap portable heats guns to get from any where to take on the fields.

I thought that might be an idea to try. for future reference aswell... is there any cheap portable heats guns to get from any where to take on the fields.

I use this one, it's a knockoff of the Makita, with cross-compatible batteries. Can't get much cheaper than $50 for tool, battery, and charger. You'll want the "big battery", I don't know why they offer it with a small one - the small one won't have the current capacity for a heat gun.

I tested 10+ minutes of runtime on low power which is what I use to preheat for about a minute.

You can also loosen the glow plug a little. Will relieve some of the compression and make it easier to turn over.
You can also loosen the glow plug a little. Will relieve some of the compression and make it easier to turn over
Sorry for the double post. My bad😝

You can also loosen the glow plug a little. Will relieve some of the compression and make it easier to turn over.
You can also loosen the glow plug a little. Will relieve some of the compression and make it easier to turn over
Sorry for the double post. My bad😝
I use this one, it's a knockoff of the Makita, with cross-compatible batteries. Can't get much cheaper than $50 for tool, battery, and charger. You'll want the "big battery", I don't know why they offer it with a small one - the small one won't have the current capacity for a heat gun.

I tested 10+ minutes of runtime on low power which is what I use to preheat for about a minute.
I'll look into it, thank you