starter box idea?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wannarunem

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Ok..go ahead and laugh..but I'm gonna ask anyway!!!
Is it possible that a dremel or maybe even a craftsman rotor start can be used to fire up that mill instead of spending money on a starter box?....there has to be a way. With the right adapter and maybe an extention, it may work? poop, they put out like 5,000 rpms. Would that be enough?? or wayyyy to much?? I've never used a starter box so I'm not quiet sure if this is compatible or not. But hell sure would be nice to make something work that i already have around the house!!!!!

Go ahead take shots at me....just trying to be creative.

It takes a lot of torque to start an RC.
Its my belief that most home tool wouldn't fir the bill.
By the time you were to rig something up you will come close to spending the same amount of money as purchasing the real deal.

If your a do it yourself kind of guy that gets a kick out of doing something like that, Great, Go for it.

Just my opinion.

LoL..yup i am one of those DIY guys.......Its rainning its ass off here and I'm on my long change from work....lots of time to kill.
What about a 18v cordless drill?...that has a ton of torque!!

possible????

It is not the RPM's that count, its the torque. So I don't believe a dremel will work. Not sure about the roto. A cordless drill may work. You will need one of those rubber starting wheels whichever way you go though.

Doesn't hurt to try.

Yeah something like that!!!!:wasted: Now that was a pretty cool idea. I still want to try making something thats not that complicated but yet still functional. So the started wheel that rob pointed out is made of rubber? I'm sure i can find or make a starter wheel. I have an old rubber mat about 1/4 inch thick that i can fabricate what i need. Can to much torgue hurt the mill? My cordless drill (like most do) has a torque setting if i need to watch that. What else should i consider..anything???
Rain is forcasted throughout the weekend here....

I've seen a guy use a power drill with a starter wheel attached to the end to start a small black.

Matt

hmm..it can be done! I am even more anxious now!!!

(from above) torque is what you need. don't worry about too much torque so long as you have some "give" in between the flywheel and starter - that's what the foam doughnut is for. If your engine doesn't want to turn over it might be flooded and you don't want to kill it.

The main cost of a DIY starter is the motor. You could buy a hand starter off ebay. The doughnut is cheap and you can make a box out of plywood. You should probably ground the motor and all that electrical stuff. A dremel wont work and (IMHO) i wouldn't suggest using things like the yank eliminator because as with anything like that it is another drag on the engine (though not a lot.)

Good luck! Post a picture when you get it done. (I just bought a starter box today but i thought the same thing - it's too expensive!)

I dont think there is something that can do that.

flash thanks for the input. I will post a pic. Just need a little bit of time to gather my materials.

That HG yank eliminator is a POS....broke the one way bearing out of 3 of them in less than 3 weeks.....all replaced by my LHS but NOT by HG.....told me my 14V cordless was too much.....motor was a stock OS Max .12 CV.......lesson learned and I dropped the dough on an Ofna box.....

I am a fabricator myself and would love to see what ya come up with.....

-Sag

Since AC motors are typically stronger than DC motors, perhaps a decent plug in power drill would fit the task. I think that will be plenty strong. An 18 volt cordless drill is probably about the same torque (depending on gearing in the drill) as a typical starter box with the 2 smaller 550 size motors.

As far as dremels, since there is no gearing in them, they have very high rpms, but very low torque. I don't think it wouldn't be enough to start an engine.

Good luck! Sounds like an interesting project.

Last edited:
Back