Stampede 4x4 3800kv castle motor

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thepitstarman

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
Anybody running the castle creation 3800kv sensered in the stampede 4x4... If so how's it holding up?

If you don't ask a lot of it, it does fine. I ran the castle sct sv3/3800kv unsensored setup in my stampede 4x4 for quit a while on 2S. With 2.8" trenchers I ran with 13/52 gearing and it did ok. With 14T, it ran hot and would cog when I accelerated. With 2.8" chevrons and the stock vxl-3s/3500 system, it would overheat on me with similar gearing towards the end of a pack, but with the castle system and heavier tires, I could run pack after pack. I had a fan on the motor as well.

I started running 3S late in 2018 with the castle system and 11/52 gearing. Seemed to do fine, but it was cooler out. About half way through the pack, the throttle would feel a bit soft, guessing the motor was heating up by then. Early 2019, I busted the motor shaft, had the 1/8th shaft then and instead of replacing the motor, I got the hobbywing max10 sct/3200kv system. I wanted to run faster than I could gear it though as I started running at a grass bmx track that had a lot of larger jumps that take a bit more speed to clear. And it being grass, caused extra drag/heat.

I've since installed a slash chassis and now run a 1/8th system on it with 3S. So far, it's working out well. Got a blx185 esc and 4076 2200kv motor in it with 19/54 gearing. Also put a center diff in it with FLM alloy diff cup and 500k oil, which helped calm the power a bit, but still add some driveline protection.

I post up a video of pretty much every bash I run and in the description/beginning of the video I list out the setup. Check them out if you want to see how the stuff I listed out did:
https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

I tend to setup my trucks to handle abuse and avoid heat issues if at all possible. I run alone, so I have very little "standing around and watching" time when I'm bashing. I put packs in, turn on the camera and run until LVC, then usually switch to a second truck and do the same. Then at least they get a break in between. If I can't make it through a single pack without overheating, I typically regear or at the very least investigate to make sure I don't have a bearing going out or twine wrapped around an axle somewhere.

I put max6 esc's on my 2 main bigger 6S trucks, but I'm finding that wasn't the silver bullet for the heat issues as I wanted to gear both about 1 tooth taller than I had. Both trucks still overheated on me after a bit of spirited running near the end of a pack. I don't like running that close to the edge considering I'd be doing that every single time I ran a truck. Running them until they thermal isn't great on them.

The stampede is still a work in progress, but I ran it pretty hard yesterday, one pack at the skate park and one at another location, around 20-25 minutes each, and had zero issues. I think the motor I have in it though is tired as I don't feel a lot of magnet notching when I spin the output shaft by hand, so that may be hampering me some. I have a second 2200kv motor I can try, but it may not install so easily as it's from my savage flux hp and has larger fins on it. May end up cutting the fins off the motor and trying it anyway.

Now that's a REPLY.... thanks so much for your help ??????

Heres a picture of my pede that I was going to put the 3800kv in.

Attachments

• IMG_20200603_000130.jpg
    IMG_20200603_000130.jpg
    409.3 KB · Views: 111
I’ll give you the Most Honest advice .
I have that Motor and Have has to Replace the Bearings recently, I ran it in my Losi SCBE, and recently My Arrma Senton BLx It does fly its a Very Fast Motor. Faster than dynamite 3800KV in the Losi as standard. And in my Senton I ran a 15t pinion as Opposed to the 20t pinion with the 3200kv Eventually it gave up the Ghost. It had overheated even with a double fan on it. so on taking apart I found the Front Bearing had broken up and the rear bearing in the backplate had completely gone. it had somehow fused it self with the backplate which meant it was useless, I managed to get a Replacement from Castle for about $15.Usd I bought some good bearings off of eBay (cheaper), I have since rebuilt it and it runs again but I’d never use it for Heavy RC Cars again I shove it in 1/10 buggys like a Tamiya TT-02 and destroys the Gears ?,the instructions do say it can’t be run in a Model over 5lbs I think and I’m sure the stampede is heavier than that. And even if not The Load with the Big wheels will be too much, So bottom line Yes it is a Brilliantly Fast Motor, but it’s to powerful for 1/10 buggys and the 3650 size can’t handle models when Torque is need from 3660motors .
please feel free to buy one against my advice , it is your money after all. But don’t say that I didn’t try to warn you. ? best of luck .

In a slash 4x4 lcg...what gearing ⚙ should I use?

My son runs a Castle Copperhead ESC with 3800 kv motor in his with Pro-Line Trencher monster truck tires or Badlands also with a 13/54 32 pitch gearing and his runs cool to warm to the touch in under 70-degree weather. Its been running this way since August with out any issues and it flies on 3s. With the stock tires he runs 17/54 gearing.

If you're concerned about the weight then take a look at the Castle ESC/motor combo with the Copperhead ESC and 3200 kv motor which has a larger motor can then the 3800 KV motor has. That motor can actually take 4s on light loads.