Sportwerks mayhem ST problem

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Havas

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi all,

Excuse my first post here being for help but I'm in a bind!

It's been a long time since I last owned an RC car but I just bought myself a sportweks mayhem ST two days ago and It's got an issue that I can't seem to pinpoint.

I managed to get through almost 3 tanks before the following issue occurred, I followed the instructions to the dot during the run in and then it stalled and after that point when I try to start it all the wheels spin sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't and when it does start without the wheels spinning and I place it on the ground it would die after a min or so, at this point it's hot but not scalding hot.

Could the clutch be gone already? After only 2 and a half tanks? And another thing is when I put it on the ground and try to push it forwards it's stuck it wont go, the brakes are not on because I've checked that and removing the engine causes it to move forwards just fine with all the gears working etc. And I can spin it manually with the engine out although it's a bit stiff but when I couple the engine back to the car there is a grinding noise, the noise does not occur with the engine out when turning the engine or spinning all 4 wheels on the car only when they are all in place does the noise occur and I can't see anything touching anywhere, I've gone over it with a fine tooth comb.

Any help would be appreciated I'm hoping it's a simple fix otherwise I have to take it back down to the shop.

OK, let's break it down. The most obvious thing I read was that if you put it on the ground and try to push it, it doesn't move. That only occurs with the engine in, correct? If you remove the engine, it rolls fine? Can you turn the clutch bell all by itself? It sounds like your clutch is binding, but if you can turn the clutch bell when the engine is out, then I'm stumped. Check the gears to see if there's a bent tooth. Otherwise I'm inclined to think it's the clutch.

EDIT: That grinding sound is a concern. That may be your clutch bearings. You may just want to take the clutch apart to look at all the parts. Make sure the bearings are good. Make sure it's shimmed properly. Check the clutch shoes and springs, too.
Let us know what you find.

Last edited:
Well I just took apart the clutch and a whole load of bearings fell out lol :( the inner clutch bearing has melded to the wall and I can't shove it out not even with a hammer lol so I've got to get some new bearings and a 13T clutch bell.

Sucks I took apart the entire thing today including the engine! At least it's clean now.

That's unfortunate. But you found the problem. Shouldn't be too expensive to fix and you'll be right back in business.