Savage X 4.6 back to the workshop - have I got a broken diff?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gandalfnz

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Took my newly acquired savage x for a second run today, went well till about half a tank when the car just lots almost all its power.
It would rev up, and shift while barely moving.

This savage has barely seen any use or abuse, could it be that it already has stripped diffs?
If the diff is broken (no idea which one), shouldnt there be some sort of grinding noise, when I spin the wheels by hand?

When I lift the back wheels and spin them, the front wheels do not move at all.

When the car is running and I apply throttle, while lifted in the air, only the front wheels spin.

What do you think is wrong and where do I start?

Many Thanks

Hi Guys

Took my newly acquired savage x for a second run today, went well till about half a tank when the car just lots almost all its power.
It would rev up, and shift while barely moving.

This savage has barely seen any use or abuse, could it be that it already has stripped diffs?
If the diff is broken (no idea which one), shouldnt there be some sort of grinding noise, when I spin the wheels by hand?

When I lift the back wheels and spin them, the front wheels do not move at all.

When the car is running and I apply throttle, while lifted in the air, only the front wheels spin.

What do you think is wrong and where do I start?

Many Thanks

I wouldnt think so ,I would check the smaller things like the tension on the spur gear ,make sure the fly wheel
is tight ,an check the drive shaft cup pins or grub set screws as some they come loose acting like the trans or
diff went out!..👍😎

Last edited:
I would think so ,I would check the smaller things like the tension on the spur gear ,make sure the fly wheel
is tight ,an check the drive shaft cup pins or grub set screws as some they come loose acting like the trans or
diff went out!..👍😎

You mean the slipper clutch? If I hold the spur with my finger, wheels do not move.

What do you mean by fly wheel is tight?

Which grub screws?

Cup pins are all in place, wheel and diff side.

Also, if I lift front wheels and spin them, the back wheels do not spin and vice versa.

Does this mean centre diff is buggered?

Looks like you were right, grub screen from rear drive shaft is missing

Pretty much screwed as I see from exploded view its a grub with a shaft, not a common short one. Oh well. Loctite is the answer it seems.
Seems like its proper name is not a grub screw.
Trying to source locally.
Seems like traxxas uses the same part, under code 5145, but its out of stock everywhere.

IMG_7039.JPG

Last edited:

I am from NZ. Could not find stock.
The car is now fixed, turns out I had one of these lying around in one of the toolboxes.
Gonna take for another run tomorrow, hoping to get trough a tank without issues.
I must say, only now do I realize how under powered Revo 3.3 is, its just a small engine for such a heavy truck.
Savage on the other hand, flies with a 4.6.

Back