Spektrum S605 servo

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoviman

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
In the past few months I’ve purchased a Losi Tenacity SCT and am having a servo issue. I have not hit anything head on with the truck yet to cause the problem I’m about to tell. I noticed something odd the other day when I was “bench testing” the truck after making a few adjustments. The splined output shaft has a side to side movement while it rotates. I’m gonna use it until it dies and then replace it with a Savox SG1258-TG like I use it all of my 1/10 scale vehicles. Has anyone else noticed this with their Tenacity truck?

I would chalk it up to normal slop, wear, and tear forming in a servo with bushings and softer metal gears. I can't recall anyone ever loving a manufacturer included RTR servo.

I would chalk it up to normal slop, wear, and tear forming in a servo with bushings and softer metal gears. I can't recall anyone ever loving a manufacturer included RTR servo.
You have a good point there HeavyBag. I should have figured that out by now. I’ve had some sort of issue with servos on each of the eight vehicles that I own at one point or another!

In today's world of RC cars, there are lots of better servo options out there that are way better than what's included in a RTR RC. When choosing a servo, I would much sooner spend a bit more money, and make sure I'm getting a servo with at least ball bearings. Over the years, I have used, what I call disposable, servos that have no spare gear sets available for purchase. Depending on how abusive a person is, and how much RCing a person does, those disposable servos only have a short lifespan.

Nowadays, I tend to look for servos that offer spare gear sets so that I may replace the gears when the time comes. Heck, I was still using a Tower Hobbies TS-140 - Digital Standard HS Servo, that I bought in 2006, up until I sold my 1/10 2wd buggy recently. I only changed the set of gears once in that servo. Currently it sits awaiting to be transplanted into another RC. That TS-140 servo was made by Hitec (99.9% sure of this) and has made me a servo snob for years. Hitec was my goto brand for years, because they offered gear sets for most of their servos.

In today's world of RC cars, there are lots of better servo options out there that are way better than what's included in a RTR RC. When choosing a servo, I would much sooner spend a bit more money, and make sure I'm getting a servo with at least ball bearings. Over the years, I have used, what I call disposable, servos that have no spare gear sets available for purchase. Depending on how abusive a person is, and how much RCing a person does, those disposable servos only have a short lifespan.

Nowadays, I tend to look for servos that offer spare gear sets so that I may replace the gears when the time comes. Heck, I was still using a Tower Hobbies TS-140 - Digital Standard HS Servo, that I bought in 2006, up until I sold my 1/10 2wd buggy recently. I only changed the set of gears once in that servo. Currently it sits awaiting to be transplanted into another RC. That TS-140 servo was made by Hitec (99.9% sure of this) and has made me a servo snob for years. Hitec was my goto brand for years, because they offered gear sets for most of their servos.
Hey there HeavyBag! When my RTR servos give up the ghost I have good luck with Savox. What’s your opinion about this brand?

I have 3 savox in trucks I run regularly. 2 of the 0231's and 1 of 1210sg's. One of the 0231's is in my nitro revo as a single steering servo, needed a cap as it gave me receiver brownouts. The other is in my converted ejato running off a traxxas vxl-3s, worked fine on 2s and 3s. The 1210sg is in my outcast, running off the stock esc in that. All 3 have been holding up well. The 1210sg is the most I've spent on a servo in 20 years of being in the hobby. It was what was suggested at the arrma forum for many of the 1/8th trucks they have.

I've been running hitec 985mg's for many years. Couple of which have been in service for over 10 years as throttle/brake servos on my MT's. I stopped running non-water resistant servos many years ago, especially for t/b use. Now all I use are waterproof for anything. Having a metal gears, a bearing and o-ring on the output shaft is the most important for me. The 985 isn't the strongest, but it was for me for a very long time. I have 2 in my big block revo, one for steering, one for t/b. I have one in my 21tm revo for t/b, it has the 0231 for steering and I have another in my savage x for t/b. I also have a 5985 (replaced the 985) in my stampede 4x4 for steering. It's total overkill for that, but it's what I had on hand when it's servo died.

The savox servos tend to be power hungry. Savox has listed on their site the stall current, so make sure your able to supply what they need or you could burn up an esc's internal BEC.

Savox SG-1258TG has a 5A stall current at 6V.
Savox 0231 4.8A @6V
Savox 1210 6A @6V

I have 3 savox in trucks I run regularly. 2 of the 0231's and 1 of 1210sg's. One of the 0231's is in my nitro revo as a single steering servo, needed a cap as it gave me receiver brownouts. The other is in my converted ejato running off a traxxas vxl-3s, worked fine on 2s and 3s. The 1210sg is in my outcast, running off the stock esc in that. All 3 have been holding up well. The 1210sg is the most I've spent on a servo in 20 years of being in the hobby. It was what was suggested at the arrma forum for many of the 1/8th trucks they have.

I've been running hitec 985mg's for many years. Couple of which have been in service for over 10 years as throttle/brake servos on my MT's. I stopped running non-water resistant servos many years ago, especially for t/b use. Now all I use are waterproof for anything. Having a metal gears, a bearing and o-ring on the output shaft is the most important for me. The 985 isn't the strongest, but it was for me for a very long time. I have 2 in my big block revo, one for steering, one for t/b. I have one in my 21tm revo for t/b, it has the 0231 for steering and I have another in my savage x for t/b. I also have a 5985 (replaced the 985) in my stampede 4x4 for steering. It's total overkill for that, but it's what I had on hand when it's servo died.

The savox servos tend to be power hungry. Savox has listed on their site the stall current, so make sure your able to supply what they need or you could burn up an esc's internal BEC.

Savox SG-1258TG has a 5A stall current at 6V.
Savox 0231 4.8A @6V
Savox 1210 6A @6V
I always put a Glitch Buster cap with the Savox servos that I use. I’m gonna run this Spektrum S605 until it dies. I also have a Spektrum S904 that came with my Losi Super Baja Rey that I’ve had for a year. That one I have had no problem with. Thank you for the input about the stall current!

I always put a Glitch Buster cap with the Savox servos that I use. I’m gonna run this Spektrum S605 until it dies. I also have a Spektrum S904 that came with my Losi Super Baja Rey that I’ve had for a year. That one I have had no problem with. Thank you for the input about the stall current!
I have one in my nitro revo that has the 0231 in it. It helped a lot with the brown outs. I'm running a decent 1600mah NiMH 6V flat pack in it.

Back